Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Celiac disease =/= gluten sensitivity (WSJ article)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    Check out the link I posted on the first page. Alessio Fasano is one of the top Celiac researchers in the world. He's linked not only IBD but also AI disorders and other diseases to gluten. Some of the paper is a bit too heavy for me but most of it is quite readable.
    It will be a huge step in the right direction when we can better link UC and Crohns to wheat and other environmental triggers. I will never forget seeing my first Crohns patient in the hospital- a cute 16 y/o boy who had just had part of his bowel removed and asked me if there was anything different he should eat. All I was allowed to say was that food choices haven't been connected to recurance of flare ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Twibble View Post
      It's interesting looking back through our family history at how many people (on both sides!) died of "abdominal cancer" before they started pinpointing it further. I have one aunt who is definitely celiac - I've been tested, but it was while I was gluten-free. I'm actively refusing to get an official diagnosis, because I'd like to be able to do silly things like get life insurance in the future. The only treatment is a gluten-free diet, and I don't need a prescription for that!

My father died from colon cancer when he was 58 years old. When I was tested at Entero Lab for gluten sensitivity, I also did their dna test. Turns out that both my parents carried the celiac gene.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary View Post
        I was pretty happy to see that article, too. It's one step away from 'Whole wheat is good for everyone except these weird coeliac types who can't eat because there's something wrong with them (but not with it, obviously, because it's a Whole Grain which is a sacred food)' and towards reality. Hooray.
        What you said, and then some.
        Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Originally posted by Pitter View Post
          It will be a huge step in the right direction when we can better link UC and Crohns to wheat and other environmental triggers. I will never forget seeing my first Crohns patient in the hospital- a cute 16 y/o boy who had just had part of his bowel removed and asked me if there was anything different he should eat. All I was allowed to say was that food choices haven't been connected to recurance of flare ups.
          Actually both UC and Crohn's occur at a statistically significant higher rate in diagnosed celiacs. From what I can remember the correlation increases the longer the person has been undiagnosed for.
          "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
          -J.Stanton

Comment

Originally posted by Suzan View Post
            My father died from colon cancer when he was 58 years old. When I was tested at Entero Lab for gluten sensitivity, I also did their dna test. Turns out that both my parents carried the celiac gene.
            My aunt died 2 weeks ago after a long fight with ovarian cancer (also very common in our family) at about the same age. She refused to have DNA testing done due to possible ramifications for her daughters, but I would have loved to see the results of that test...
            Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

Working...
            X