Primal diet and LOW libido?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal diet and LOW libido?

Everyone sings the praises of PB for all the health benefits and energy and through-the-roof libido, but I'm only seeing the first.

I'm male, 30, 6'0", 222 lbs (formerly 230). I've been married for ten years and am insanely attracted to my wife. We both started eating primal about three weeks ago. We're doing the fitness thing somewhat, but not as strictly.

I feel great, minor digestive issues are completely gone. I ran a mile without feeling sick for hours afterward. There are definite improvements.

But our bedroom time has taken a big hit. One problem is that, while I don't feel tired during the day, come 9:30 or 10, sleep is hitting me hard. But that's the only alone time we have together. Also, my libido is almost gone. Most of the time, I don't feel like it, and often when I do feel like it, my body doesn't want to cooperate. It's a very alien concept and kind of a huge deal.

Is this normal at first? Should I expect to recover on my own? Do I need to make changes? Anybody have any experiences like this?

ANY help/advice is GREATLY appreciated.

I have read this in another thread, but I can't find it now. Perhaps you should post what you normally eat in a day and let someone here take a look at it. There are a lot of people here who know their shit (not me).

Comment

What type of exercise do you do? This might be relevant: FITBOMB: Too Little of a Good Thing?.

Comment

Well, it's hard to list a "normal" day, since it's only been three weeks, but I'll try.

Sometimes I skip breakfast, sometimes I fry two eggs, sometimes I grab a piece of fruit. Lunch is usually a BAS with leftover meat from the night before and some evoo-vinegar mix on top. Dinner is usually a meat with a small salad and some steamed veggies. The meat usually comes from a recipe from the PB cookbook or here or maybe another primal site. Only water to drink. I allow myself 1 girl scout cookie per day, but that doesn't happen every day. I gave up morning coffee as an everyday thing. (but the fatigue came first) but I've started having a cup in the evenings to fight the 9:30 sleepiness.

Exercise would be mostly walking and biking.

Comment

On almost any "diet" you're going to lose some libido. When the body is actively losing weight it's signalling that now's probably not the best time to be making babies. I'm assuming that if you ate primal foods at a maintenance level, your libido would return with gusto.

Comment

Maintenance levels?

Comment

Are you still trying to lose weight? If not that doesn't seem like alot of food for a 222lb man.

Maintenance level means the level of caloric intake where you remain the same weight.

Comment

I wouldn't say that I'm "trying" to lose weight... But I'm hoping that it happens as a result of eating healthier.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous View Post
                  I wouldn't say that I'm "trying" to lose weight... But I'm hoping that it happens as a result of eating healthier.
                  ? That makes no sense, either you are or you are not, pick one. Or do you like the weight you are at but want a body recomposition? If you are not trying to lose weight, eat more, because like I said in my last post that is definitely not enough food, as I eat more than that and I'm 72lbs lighter than you are.

Comment

Yeah. At first mine was low and then it got super high. I think it took about a month.

How are your sunlight / vitamin D levels? That makes the biggest difference for me. Mostly real sunlight. If I've been in the sun for a day or two, my libido is off the charts.
                    Last edited by cavemanj; 03-15-2011, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I believe what Funkadelic means is that once your body has finished adapting to your new diet you will hopefully return to your old self, in that regard at least.
                      The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
                      Blog
                      sigpic

Comment

I think upping your calories, upping your cholesterol and upping your carbs slightly should affect test and libido in a positive manner. Could be an adaption fase, not sure. I'm a raging 18 year old so not sure if there is any relevance, but I am pretty horny fairly often.

Comment

At three weeks in you could be in the throws of the dreaed "carb flu" and just feeling like a truck ran you over. Does not lead to wanting a lot of loving right now. If you still feel the same way in 3 more weeks they I would begin to open the hood and see what's up. For now, get that sleep you body is craving and don't worry.

Comment

I am still actively trying to recover my libido. Since going primal September 1st, it has dropped considerably. I wish I had some answers, but so far nothing has really brought it back.

Comment

Just to add a note of dissent, I have to report the opposite. My libido went way, way up, and it wasn't small before. More meat? More steak specifically? I eat a lot of steak, but also a lot of tuna too, and sardines. Maybe it's something in those.

Comment

Working...
                              X