Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you get sick after "cheating"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope. I almost wish my body would react more strongly so that I could remind myself "I'm going to feel like crap tomorrow if I eat this." One thing I have noticed is that I'm much more sensitive to alcohol; one or two drinks will really make me sluggish and bloated the next day. I didn't drink heavily anyway (one or two drinks less than once a week has been my pattern for years), but now it seems to impact me more.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Comment

As I understand it and have experienced, sugar suppresses your immune system upwards of 5 hours after consumption so that might be why your getting sick.
      You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

I will be sick for 2 days..................minimal

Cheating for me just isn't worth it. For me it is easy, I don't have cravings and I don't want to eat anything other than Primal. The other "stuff" just does not appeal to me in the least.

Comment

Sugar causes the runs(I know TMI) and I have found that white rice can affect my asthma.
          Georgette

Comment

The one thing I am left with from my pre-primal days is.....wine. Red Wine (Merlot). Since going primal I have limited consumption to 1 day/week and maybe at most 3 glasses. And I am very happy to note that this level of consumption has no ill effect for me on fat loss. The only side effect is the hangover the next day. Its a nice price/reminder for me having had the wine...
            If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
            James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Comment

My biggest problem is not wheat or sugar but preservatives and nitrates. That means just about anytime that I eat outside of my house I will have a bad reaction (puffy face/hands/joints, rash around eyes/mouth, headaches, intestinal issues and overall feeling like crap) from within 20 minutes to several days. Starting to just say 'screw-it' to eating out. Just not worth it.
              Plus, one thing that I have noticed is restaurant food is very, very salty compared to eating at home.
              I learned a valuable lesson with the first steer I sent to slaughter. I should have named him Hamburger and not Snookers.

Comment

I get a sore throat within 24 hours of eating heavy sugar snacks (birthday cake).

Comment

Sadly, my body was doing GREAT with sugary stuffs after my Whole30, but after a couple of cheats there I was right back to being okay with sugars. But any significant amount of carbs makes me ill (especially wheat, but I have no doubt I'm gluten intolerant). It's near-immediate negative reinforcement for me!
                  5'6" 27 y/o female, Primal 6 months and counting.

CW: 160 -- in single-digit dress sizes for the first time in 12 years!

GW: 150 -- for swimsuit season

Comment

I've never looked at eating anything as cheating. I don't think that is a healthy way to view food and eating even if it is an unhealthy choice.

I do eat occasional homemade treats made from quality ingredients and even gluten free grain or homemade hummus on occasion without any issue.

I don't eat the sugar laden junk I use several years ago or have any desire to. I just can't do the "food like substances."

Comment

I don't get sick. I usually add some water weight for a day or so but that goes away. Sometimes if I over eat I'm gassy and am pretty uncomfortable but that's just as much from overeating as it is the food. Either way, the effects for me aren't bad enough that I feel the need to give up cheat meals. I'm pleased with my weight, physique, and life while being on a "one cheat meal a week at most" plan. Sometimes less but never more. Of course, I'm giving that up for Lent so no cheat meals for about 7 weeks. Maybe I'll post pictures for each of the next seven weeks and we can all see how much of a difference one cheat meal a week really makes in one's physique...
                      Strength and Honor

Comment

Originally posted by geostump View Post
                        Sugar causes the runs(I know TMI) and I have found that white rice can affect my asthma.
                        Hmmm. Maybe that's why my husband always has more GI issues than I do. Even pre-primal, we'd eat the same meal and he'd get sick and I wouldn't, but then he also snacks on sugar during the day and frequently eats ice cream at night. I gave up sugar years ago. He's a bit of a sugar junkie. And here I just thought I had an iron stomach.

Comment

Meeeeeeee. Yesterday I had a couple fun size candy bars (which tasted like crap, by the way. It was just an impulse.) and then I had a stomachache and spent a few uncomfortable minutes in the bathroom about an hour later. Then today my friends gave me bits of pastry and cookies and almost immediately my stomach started hurting and I had to suppress gas later. It's good to have reinforcement every now and then that that stuff will ALWAYS make me feel like crap in some way or another. I wasn't the least bit tempted to dig into ice cream when I came home today.

Comment

Originally posted by O_O View Post
                            I've never looked at eating anything as cheating. I don't think that is a healthy way to view food and eating even if it is an unhealthy choice.

I do eat occasional homemade treats made from quality ingredients and even gluten free grain or homemade hummus on occasion without any issue.

I don't eat the sugar laden junk I use several years ago or have any desire to. I just can't do the "food like substances."
                            O_O...I like your outlook on things. There is no cheating. Only healthy and unhealthy foods. It simplifies things quite a bit. "I dont eat sugar or grains because they are unhealthy foods." And I am trying to eat healthy. I like it.
                            If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
                            James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Comment

It really depends on how much of said "cheat food" I eat. I had a slice of cheesecake the other night and I felt totally fine. If I ate a sandwich, some crackers, and some cheesecake, I definitely would have been bloated and moody, and probably would have gotten a cold the next day.

I almost never feel compelled to "cheat" anymore, though; if I'm hungry, food is appealing and sugar isn't.

Comment

I eat clean 98% of the time, and I don't use the word "cheat." I allow myself a very, very occasional indulgence, and it's always a choice.

It's not a binge. For example, the last one was when I was out to dinner with friends and had a very nice primal meal of duck, braised greens, and about a 1/4 cup of mashed sweet potato. At the end of the meal, I decided that I wanted dessert (although I normally eat no grains, dairy, or sugar--or any sweetener). I had a delicious slice of carrot cake, enjoyed it, suffered no ill effects at all, and returned to total primal eating the next morning with no cravings of any kind.

My 'indulgences' are once about every 3 months or so.

Comment

Working...
                                X