Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you get sick after "cheating"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
    I find it funny that myself and pretty much everyone I have ever met feels fine after eating grains or sugar (without overeating). I don't know if its the placebo effect or the body just not used to processing grains anymore that causes people on this forum trouble though. To be honest I feel great eating a diet that includes white bread and whole wheat everyday.
    Good for you Jim. Good for you. This doesn't really sound like the thread for you then.

But for some of us, food reactions are quite real. And I will +1 the OP. I had a cheat last weekend that led to uncomforatble bloating. There was a day for me when this was't an issue because that was my state 100% of the time. Now I feel better, and notice when I don't. I'm glad that I now understand that grains make me (and a lot of people) sick.

I'd also agree that there is other issues beyond grain just simply being bad. Any dietary switch can cause these types of issues and there is no doubt some placebo affect going on. That said, there is no doubt substantive issues for many, many people, including, but certainly not limited to insulin response.
    Last edited by tplank; 09-30-2011, 07:48 AM.

Comment

I find it funny that myself and pretty much everyone I have ever met feels fine after eating grains or sugar (without overeating). I don't know if its the placebo effect or the body just not used to processing grains anymore that causes people on this forum trouble though. To be honest I feel great eating a diet that includes white bread and whole wheat everyday.
      What is this? Why are you trolling here? You sound uninformed and there are plenty of people here ready to squash you with their knowledge. Are you looking for an argument?

Moving on to more important things,

I feel the worst if I eat grains or sugar. Not so much with corn. Vegetable oils give me digestive problems and joint pain, but grains and sugar flat-out make me feel ill. I don't eat much sugar in the way of honey or fruit anymore, so the super-sweet taste of table sugar just upsets my stomach and gives me headache.
      http://baconandwhimsy.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadelynMc View Post
        What is this? Why are you trolling here? You sound uninformed and there are plenty of people here ready to squash you with their knowledge. Are you looking for an argument?
        Uninformed to how I feel when I eat grains? How am I uninformed? Do you not agree that the majority of people feel just fine after eating grains? Before you stopped eating grains didn't you feel fine after eating them? Maybe a small percentage of people on here have a real allergy, but most of you are either having some sort of placebo effect or have created a problem where there was not one in the first place.

Comment

Uninformed to how I feel when I eat grains? How am I uninformed? Do you not agree that the majority of people feel just fine after eating grains? Before you stopped eating grains didn't you feel fine after eating them? Maybe a small percentage of people on here have a real allergy, but most of you are either having some sort of placebo effect or have created a problem where there was not one in the first place.
          Actually, I didn't feel well at all before I stopped eating grains. I had horrible migraines, chronic joint pain/swelling, chronic fatigue, depression and many other random health problems that are completely outrageous for a person in their 20's to have. I don't have those things anymore. If you look around here a little, you'll find more than enough people with similar experiences.

If you've been feeling less-than-well your entire life, how would you know until it changed? Wouldn't you think it was normal to feel that way because you had never felt any other way?

Comment

Maybee our bodies react differently to grains after not eating them for so long is a good thing and our body is telling us something that this stuff isn't good for you! Yes I use to eat a ton of grainy foods i'm italian it's in the blood but that doesn't mean it was good for me. Possibly my body got use to the bad mojo in the grains and that's why it never had a crazy affect but again doesn't mean it wasn't harmful to the body.

When your dirty you feel nasty at first right? And then after a few days of being dirty you don't feel so dirty even though you are very dirty because you get use to being dirty but as soon as you take a shower you feel great and the cycle starts all over again. That's how I feel about grains if that makes any sense.
            ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Comment

The problem here is that people think it's perfectly normal to not feel well and take a pill. It's not normal. They don't know that they don't feel well because they think they aren't supposed to feel well. "It's just part of getting older." Bullshit.

Comment

+1. Are there people with real reactions to these foods? Absolutely. But this forum is full of people who post things like "I've been primal for four days and feel great! But yesterday I slipped and ate a twizzler/spoonful of rice/sugar cube in my coffee and now I feel like I'm DYING!!!!!1 It's clear now that these foods are poisons and primal is the only true way we're meant to eat."

It seems pretty obvious that some people here have themselves so convinced that they are going to feel awful if they eat the slightest bit of grain/sugar/whatever else they think is "bad" (wheat, eggs, dairy, nightshades, too many carbs, whatever you've decided is causing every single one of your problems) that of course that's exactly what happens. I don't think that the majority of the world is laid up with crippling stomach pain or whatever after eating a piece of toast.

And saying something like "everyone who eats grain reacts poorly to it, they just don't notice it, but it definitely happens." is a terrible fallacious excuse for an argument.

Comment

Originally posted by MadelynMc View Post
                  Bullshit
                  Pottymouth!
                  ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Comment

Originally posted by marqueemoon View Post
                    +1. Are there people with real reactions to these foods? Absolutely. But this forum is full of people who post things like "I've been primal for four days and feel great! But yesterday I slipped and ate a twizzler/spoonful of rice/sugar cube in my coffee and now I feel like I'm DYING!!!!!1 It's clear now that these foods are poisons and primal is the only true way we're meant to eat."

It seems pretty obvious that some people here have themselves so convinced that they are going to feel awful if they eat the slightest bit of grain/sugar/whatever else they think is "bad" (wheat, eggs, dairy, nightshades, too many carbs, whatever you've decided is causing every single one of your problems) that of course that's exactly what happens. I don't think that the majority of the world is laid up with crippling stomach pain or whatever after eating a piece of toast.

And saying something like "everyone who eats grain reacts poorly to it, they just don't notice it, but it definitely happens." is a terrible fallacious excuse for an argument.
                    It's pretty widely accepted knowledge that when you are even mildly allergic to something, eliminate the allergen and then reintroduce it after your body heals, you will have a much more severe response. I'm trying to find a link...anyone?

Comment

• Maybe, but "allergy" isn't a catch-all term for "I feel bad after eating this". It's a specific type of response. The vast majority of people are NOT allergic to wheat, or sugar, or whatever, no matter what their guru/naturopath tells them.

Comment

• Originally posted by marqueemoon View Post
                        Maybe, but "allergy" isn't a catch-all term for "I feel bad after eating this". It's a specific type of response. The vast majority of people are NOT allergic to wheat, or sugar, or whatever, no matter what their guru/naturopath tells them.
                        What is the specific manifestation of food allergies then? I wasn't aware that there was a set list. Either way, I believe that digestive distress qualifies.

Also, just because you don't test positive in a traditional allergy test doesn't mean you're not allergic.

"In conventional medicine, the term ‘food allergy’ is generally used to describe food-based immune reactions that involve a particular type of antibody known as ‘immunoglobulin E’ or ‘IgE’. IgE levels in the blood can be tested for. Another way of identifying foods that present problems through this particular mechanism is to apply extracts of foods to skin which has fist been breeched through some abrasion (the so-called ‘scratch test’).

The problem is that conventional testing take a very narrow view of food sensitivity. The reality is that the body may react to foods in ways that extend beyond the production of IgE. For instance, it is possible for the body to manifest unwanted reactions to food through the production of another form of immunoglobulin known as ‘IgG’."

Why we need to be wary of doctors who dismiss the role of food sensitivity in health | Dr Briffa's Blog - A Good Look at Good Health

Comment

• I believe the majority of the symptoms people feel after "cheating" are psychological. Sure, some people are physically affected, but I think a lot of people are focusing on feeling lousy because they think they did something wrong a la the placebo effect. I bet if I cooked a meatloaf with ground beef in it and wheat bread crumbs without telling them, most people wouldn't feel nearly as bad as if they knowingly ate a slice of wheat bread with the meatloaf. What's the solution?

Never cheat. I never cheat. Yep, every time I eat something non-Primal, it's completely planned. It's not cheating if you knew you were going to eat it.

Right now, I'm eating a 3 pound cornbread with skim milk. I knew it was coming, so I fermented the corn for 36 hours in yeast and kefir - properly prepared cornbread. Guess what? No bad feelings, no upset stomach, no insulin crashes...I actually feel great, and I'm totally okay with it. Okay, the skim milk is making me gassy, but I knew that going in. I need a carb source to drink without fructose or fat, so skim milk is my best option. Besides, it's organic, local grass-fed skim milk.
                          Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 09-30-2011, 08:46 AM.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Working...
                          X