Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cod liver oil vs. beef liver powder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cod liver oil vs. beef liver powder

    I'm going to do some research on this but I wanted to post it here too since guys are just so smart anyways, I take cod liver oil as my only supplement, and I was reading Mark's post where he suggests beef liver powder and went to read about that and was thinking of buying it. I was just wondering if it's necessary to take both? Someone pointed this out to me since they're both liver, but I figured the nutritional profiles would be very different since one is cod and one is beef.

    Gonna go look it up, but like I said you guys are smart...plus I'm bored at work so now I get to talk to people lol
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    --John Muir


    "I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
    --Tommy Caldwell


    ‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
    --Hyperlithic

  • #2
    I saw that the beef liver is high in B6 but low in B12--I thought it was supposed to have a lot of B12?? And this is totally failing at getting some discussion going lol.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    --John Muir


    "I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
    --Tommy Caldwell


    ‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
    --Hyperlithic

    Comment


    • #3
      I take both cod liver oil and liver powder. The liver powder seems to benefit people with anemia, even though it's not (per serving) really high in iron or B12. It could be that it's more of a synergistic effect between two and the fact that they happen to be in highly absorbed forms?
      http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
        I take both cod liver oil and liver powder. The liver powder seems to benefit people with anemia, even though it's not (per serving) really high in iron or B12. It could be that it's more of a synergistic effect between two and the fact that they happen to be in highly absorbed forms?
        Hmmm, perhaps. I just really that its supposed to help with energy levels a lot.
        "The mountains are calling and I must go."
        --John Muir


        "I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
        --Tommy Caldwell


        ‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
        --Hyperlithic

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't know enough about this to do anything actually useful like give you numbers, but it's possible to have too much pre-formed Vitamin A - the kind you get in liver. Maybe watch your totals if you take both?

          (Come to think of it... this week I've started taking fermented cod liver oil - yuck - and also had faggots (mostly pork liver) for lunch and snacked on duck liver pate. Oops. Never mind. Duck liver pate, sealed with a thick 'lid' of rich yellow butter... ohgodyum.)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Hilary View Post
            I don't know enough about this to do anything actually useful like give you numbers, but it's possible to have too much pre-formed Vitamin A - the kind you get in liver. Maybe watch your totals if you take both?

            (Come to think of it... this week I've started taking fermented cod liver oil - yuck - and also had faggots (mostly pork liver) for lunch and snacked on duck liver pate. Oops. Never mind. Duck liver pate, sealed with a thick 'lid' of rich yellow butter... ohgodyum.)
            You had faggots for lunch??

            Best thing I've heard all day
            "The mountains are calling and I must go."
            --John Muir


            "I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
            --Tommy Caldwell


            ‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
            --Hyperlithic

            Comment


            • #7
              Damn. You learn something everyday now don't you. Where have I been? Under a Grok rock?
              Liver powder?? OK, I gotta get out more or something. Someone link me up with the good stuff
              will you already?

              And where are are these good looking women coming from lately?
              The primal babes are looking sooo good.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Clymb View Post
                You had faggots for lunch??

                Best thing I've heard all day
                Oh yes. One of my favourite things to ask for really loudly at the market.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Keithallenlaw View Post
                  Damn. You learn something everyday now don't you. Where have I been? Under a Grok rock?
                  Liver powder?? OK, I gotta get out more or something. Someone link me up with the good stuff
                  will you already?

                  And where are are these good looking women coming from lately?
                  The primal babes are looking sooo good.
                  Amazon.com: Now Foods Liver Powder, 12-Ounce: RED TAG sale

                  And primal = sexiness, bro
                  "The mountains are calling and I must go."
                  --John Muir


                  "I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
                  --Tommy Caldwell


                  ‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
                  --Hyperlithic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Why even take beef liver? Liver has vitamin D, but cod liver oil should take care of that (or being outside or just Vit D as a supplement, i just switched to cod liver oil myself and it has plenty vit D.) It is my understanding that, unless you have some sort of problem like an auto-immune issue, you don't need any more supplements aside from fish oil, vit D, and magnesium and you should be eating the rest. Although the vit B's do sound tempting, but perhaps you are already getting sufficient amounts? Mark never said that we need the extra vitaman B.

                    You know your body better than me (unless i'm some sort of creeper, lol) and i'm sure you will make a wise decision depending on your needs, just think it through before you start throwing extra stuff into your body. Too much of anything is bad, it could really strain certain metabolic pathways.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by NeoBerserker View Post
                      You know your body better than me (unless i'm some sort of creeper, lol) and i'm sure you will make a wise decision depending on your needs, just think it through before you start throwing extra stuff into your body. Too much of anything is bad, it could really strain certain metabolic pathways.
                      Lol! Yeah I'm not a fan of supplements, I just kept reading great stuff about it. I had thought it was higher in B12...I'm sensitive to excess B6, I had an incident where I had too much and got literally paralyzed in my limbs while driving...not good. But it was from some sort of energy drink as opposed to something like liver. The cod liver oil is better in actual oil form as opposed to a capsule, correct? I have the capsules, I got the wrong thing when I bought it lol.
                      "The mountains are calling and I must go."
                      --John Muir


                      "I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
                      --Tommy Caldwell


                      ‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
                      --Hyperlithic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        That it is. And thanks for the link up. Best.

                        Originally posted by Clymb View Post
                        And primal = sexiness, bro

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          @ NeoBerserker

                          Supposedly intestinal flora manufactures b vits, if if if everything is in order and you
                          haven't blown them out with heavy bouts of anti-biotics, alcohol, party drugs, or a
                          SADD diet. You know the drill. Peace.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            That's the kind I use
                            http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by NeoBerserker View Post
                              Why even take beef liver? Liver has vitamin D, but cod liver oil should take care of that (or being outside or just Vit D as a supplement, i just switched to cod liver oil myself and it has plenty vit D.) It is my understanding that, unless you have some sort of problem like an auto-immune issue, you don't need any more supplements aside from fish oil, vit D, and magnesium and you should be eating the rest. Although the vit B's do sound tempting, but perhaps you are already getting sufficient amounts? Mark never said that we need the extra vitaman B.
                              .

                              It's just another way of consuming liver (which I have a hard time doing otherwise). Think of it as food, not a supplement (it's just freeze-dried and defatted). One of the most important components of the healthy diets Weston Price studied was offal/organ meats and that's why I eat liver powder. People also take liver powder because it really does give you more energy if you tend to lack energy, and for us people with thyroid and/or adrenal issues, it warms you up (we tend to have low body temps!)

                              I don't take liver powder for the D, I take it for the overall nutrition. I require higher doses of D than either liver powder or cod liver oil contains (I have an autoimmune condition). I do take both cod liver oil and liver powder for the Vit. A, though. People with thyroid problems (I have Hashimoto's) usually have problems converting beta carotene to A. You also need some pre-formed A if you're on higher doses of D.

                              As far as not needing supplements, it's all about your nutrient status to begin with. Many people might need some extra supplements for awhile to get their levels back to normal and then they can maintain those levels through diet. It's very individual. I do agree that people shouldn't go overboard with the supplements, though the amount of B vitamins in liver powder is hardly high enough to be of any concern.
                              http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X