No announcement yet.

Ketosis vs regular Primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had a lot of success with a more keteogenic diet - I'm under 10% body fat now. You can eat plenty of veg and hover around ketosis but you'll need to drastically reduce fruit and dairy. My macros typically consist of 50% protein 30% fat and 20% carbs. If you are looking to lean out I recommend exercising fasted in the early morning and eating an early dinner. If you are doing high intensity like Crossfit it will be rough at first. You will feel sluggish and slow as your body adapts to generate energy from Gluconeogenesis and ketosis; this process can take weeks -- this isn't the carb flu (cold turkey withdraw from sugar/glucosis addiction), but your body re-engineering it's "nuclear reactors" to process slow burning fuel like protein and fat. Bear in mind that your athletic performance will dip during this transitional period. Slamming vitamin D, zinc and magnesium helped me sleep/recover to regain energy. After the transitional period though the benefits I noticed are you don't become ravenously hungry when you need to eat and that the time from starting to eat until satiation is much decreased; in addition it's easy as pie to achieve your body comp goals assuming you work hard in the gym.

I don't sweat as much lately on leaning out for two reasons - 1.) I have reached my goal 2.) It is so freaking easy if you are a disciplined person who doesn't use food as entertainment to lean out once you learn the ropes (you can rehash the process in the future simply).
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 03-08-2011, 07:39 AM.
    ad astra per aspera

Comment

I'm also a little confused on whether Ketosis is OK for a longer period of time. I cannot get above 20 net carbs a day.... I cannot fit enough vegetables into my stomach to get me there.... so I am in Ketosis all of the time. I never crave carbs, I don't eat any fruit, and I am never hungry. Anyone else have this experience?

Comment

I've been keto-adapted for a few weeks now. Some people are/were for years (Dr. Kurt Harris, for instance). If you don't experience issues with it, then you're likely fine. If you're worried about it, carb refeed twice a week. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, and has helped me push a stubborn threshold.
        August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

That's kind of what I was thinking. I feel the best I have in a really long time, so I don't really want to fix something that isn't broken, but at the same time, I don't want to do something that is harmful to me in the long-term because afterall, eating a half cup of quinoa or some berries every few days isn't going to kill me.

In fact, I've noticed an improvement in my pushups in the past 6 weeks, and I've been mostly ketogenic the entire time.

Comment

YMMV! I been almost no carb for about 2 month now, and I feel great especially when I lift heavy things! Some people are different in which they probably need little carbs(should be from veggie source).

Originally posted by spartymania View Post
            I'm also a little confused on whether Ketosis is OK for a longer period of time. I cannot get above 20 net carbs a day.... I cannot fit enough vegetables into my stomach to get me there.... so I am in Ketosis all of the time. I never crave carbs, I don't eat any fruit, and I am never hungry. Anyone else have this experience?
            I"m exactly the same. I usually eat no more that 2 meals(Meats and egg) a day and rarely snack on anything.
            Last edited by Mike7; 03-09-2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I agree with "being in ketosis is not a must". Granted, if your consuming primal foods & recognize hunger you probably will be in ketosis most of the time. Most of your carbs should come from veggies. Almost any carbs I consume that arent from veggies are from a high antioxidant source. (Berries, Dark Chocolate)
              -Connoisseur Guy

Comment

A big carb/fiber/fat source for me, which I eat a ton, of are avocados. But because they have so much fiber, you end up with a small net carb.

Comment

If you want to drop fat, be in ketosis.

I (must) be in ketosis a lot or all of the time based on my carb intake. Its not on purpose--totally--but almost completely avoiding fructose as I do and eating primal does sort of lead there. I think only potatoes could have me out of ketosis, and I never eat those. I have no clue how people get to 100-150 grams a day; I haven't ever done it myself and I've been primal ~10 months. I did lose a bit too much fat though, so, there you have it: it works.

By the way, I am an "athlete" too; my lack of carb intake isn't an issue. I feel totally great.

There are many reasonable voices out that say ketosis isn't "better" for health than the 100 gram way of eating, but it is definitely awesome for fat loss. Don't be scared of it, is all I'm saying.

Comment

Thanks Orchid! Always nice to know when others feel the same way, when their intake is similar.

Comment

Working...
                    X