Enlightening

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightening

I travel alot for business so I have to stay at hotels frequently. So, I check in yesterday and they tell me to visit their happy hour from 5 - 7. I am thinking cool, some appies and an adult beverage. I cruise to the happy hour and to my horror, all the food they have is chips and salsa, snack mix(no nuts) and pretzels. Not one veggie or primal food to be found. I get a glass red wine and sit down to watch the carnage. Plates piled to overflowing capacity with the above mentioned foods washed down with 3 - 4 16z beers. Finished my wine, went back to my room and did a half hour hour of bodyweight excercises. Umm, can't understand why we have the highest obesity rate of any developed country.

Following this way of life really does open your eyes to the everyday, under-the-radar horrors, no?

I really enjoyed an earlier thread that likened being in the grocery store to The Matrix. Now that you've taken the red pill you'll never see the world the same again. Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Comment

Did they have a free breakfast? How about those hotels that have a free breakfast that is nothing but grains and skim milk. We got lucky on a recent ski trip and stay a Super 8 that had a Primal breakfast. In addition to the grain feast, they had eggs, bacon, and sausage/egg burrito (we opened it up and scraped out the good stuff).
      ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

Comment

Dangit, now I want french fries covered in chili and bacon That was totally my favorite bar food.

What DO you guys order in a bar now? I'm cool with drinking wine (or hard cider when I'm not concerned with carbs), but now I'm trying to think of good bar foods...
        Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
        Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
        More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
        LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
        Play more!

Comment

wings? (depending on how sauced they are, heh)

Comment

We went out to dinner last night. I ordered steak fahita's. and the toppings. no tortillas.
            Getting ready for business trip in 2 weeks. so I'll let you know how it goes
            Julia
            Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
            Started Primal Mid January 2011
            Current Weight 183
            Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
            http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

Comment

I went to a bar the other night and got a meatball sub, without the bread. The waitress thought I was crazy, but I got large chunks of meaty goodness in a pretty tasty marinara sauce.

Comment

I lived in the Netherlands for 10 years and did quite a bit of traveling in Europe. I've been back for about 6 months but I don't think I'll ever stop being aghast at not only the type but amount of food that so many people think is "normal". I was discussing this with my boyfriend the other day, how food and dining is experienced in completely different ways. You can easily spend hours in a restaurant there, eat many courses of wonderful food and still consume 1/5th the amount as so many Americans inhale in 30 minutes. It's rather obscene.
                Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

So often, the freebies at hotels are the cheap stuff - meaning cheap chips, pretzels, carby stuff for a continental breakfast. The stuff us PB-ers would want would blow the budget, unfortunately. Sometimes if I can get an upgrade to a concierge floor when I'm traveling, the happy hour will have some kind of protein thing and the breakfast might have some hardboiled eggs at least. But it's rare. The stuff they have in the lobby for the general population is garbage.

Comment

Bar food- mixed nuts, wings, another Guinness...
                    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                    My Latest Journal

Comment

We went out for lunch with some old colleagues of ours earlier this week (they had been let go in the last round of lay offs and have moved on to new things). We went for Mexican. Mexican is fine with me....I ordered Texas fajitas with EXTRA shrimp, chicken and steak. I told the waiter to hold everything else ...(He still brought me the tortillas but I didnt eat them).
                      and my splurge was a diet soda to wash it down with. He tried to refill that too...and I told him no, I was fine with the water. Really. Im good. No, Really....The fajitas were fantastic.

But the thing that I remembered from this experience were the basket after basket after basket of chips & salsa that everyone else was scarfing down their throats as fast as they could. I looked around the room and there were muffin tops, rolls of jelly and love handles galore all around me.

It really is no wonder we are one of the fattest nations on earth. Disgusting.
                      If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
                      James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Comment

True! While traveling through South East Asia I noticed ALL the people are tiny. TINY! They eat meat, vegetables and yes some rice and noodles but lots of veggies. Nothing is processed it all cooked from scratch and fresh. The only processed stuff you find there is at the mini marts which are for the tourists. The locals cant afford to eat our crap they have shipped in specifically for tourists which is sooo over priced but tourists buy anyways because who wants to eat weird organ meats in broths with veggies and rice.

Comment

Originally posted by handgallop View Post
                          wings? (depending on how sauced they are, heh)
                          I'm sure that any wings you get in a bar or restaurant are chock full of transfats. I can't believe that they would actually use butter in the sauce and/or fry in something other than hydrogenated oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Mizz Hawaii View Post
                            ...who wants to eat weird organ meats in broths with veggies and rice.
                            *shoots hand into the air* OOH! ME! ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Mizz Hawaii View Post
                              True! While traveling through South East Asia I noticed ALL the people are tiny. TINY! They eat meat, vegetables and yes some rice and noodles but lots of veggies. Nothing is processed it all cooked from scratch and fresh. The only processed stuff you find there is at the mini marts which are for the tourists. The locals cant afford to eat our crap they have shipped in specifically for tourists which is sooo over priced but tourists buy anyways because who wants to eat weird organ meats in broths with veggies and rice.
                              I went to China for 18 days in 2006. Everyone of us lost weight. I don't remember how much I lost, but I was glad I had brought a pair of hiking friendly capris with pull strings. One of my fellow travelers had to keep hiking up her pants. We ate whatever Chinese fare was fed to us. Vegetables, meats, eggs, rice, tea, watermelon for dessert for lunch and dinner, soups at lunch and dinner. Beer at lunch and dinner. Really nasty Chinese hard liquor that someone bought and shared on our very long train rides. Very little snacking. A few unplanned IFs, due to either stomach upset or just not liking the food. And lots and lots of walking. China has lots of steps - temples=steps, pagodas=steps, sacred mountains=steps, the Great Wall=nasty steps of different heights.

Didn't see many overweight Chinese people either...

Comment

Working...
                              X