Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I need to change to lose weight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I need to change to lose weight?

I've been Primal since January (slowly transitioning since November and 100% primal as of Jan 4 I think). I have significant weight to lose but it is coming off soooo slowly. Too slowly. I can't figure out why. I feel like I'm doing it all RIGHT!

Age - 27
    Height - 5'3"
    Current weight - 176
    Goal - 150

Daily food

Breakfast - 2 eggs cooked in butter, 1/2 a large sausage (all good folds from
    my local organic store)

Snack (only if needed) - 1 tsp nut butter off the spoon

Lunch - mixed greens with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp balsamic topped with 1/2 avocado and either chicken, shrimp, salmon or a red meat if I have leftovers

Dinner - I cook dinner every night and use Primal recipes
    From the PB cookbook, the net. Always just meat and veg.

Treats - usually none, 2-3 squares 85-90% dark
    Chocolate twice a week max. One cheat meal per week but never with gluten (I'm intolerat). Cheat meal is something like sushi.

Exercise - crossfit type workout 2-3 times per week, regular walking, playing with kids, housework, my job has me on my feet much of the day.

What is wrong with me???????

Thanks!

The cheat meal. Stop having it - one cheat meal a week is enough to stall you dead in your tracks.

Add some fat to your diet, too. Butter, coconut oil, lard.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

you may also have to change your expectations. it's true that some people lose a lot of weight fast in this lifestyle, but it won't for everybody. losing takes time. granted, the PB boasts effortless weight loss, but really it's about optimal health. losing weight is a byproduct.
      stick to the ten primal laws and KIP (Keep It Primal...thanks iniquity) and with time you will undoubtedly get healthier, have way more energy, and probably be lighter...certainly leaner.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

What about IF? And I agree with Griff. I didn't start seeing results until I stopped cheating.

Also, what do you eat after you workout?

Also also, are you measuring just straight weight loss? When I was doing X-fit, my weight didn't budge a lot because I was packing on the muscle.

Comment

This may be counterintuitive, but I saw differences in my physique (I don't weigh) when I added some healthy carbs back in. Sweet potato or 1/2 a banana was enough for my body to bounce some of the weight off. Especially if you are doing crossfit, you might need a bit more carbs in your diet.

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
            you may also have to change your expectations. it's true that some people lose a lot of weight fast in this lifestyle, but it won't for everybody. losing takes time. granted, the PB boasts effortless weight loss, but really it's about optimal health. losing weight is a byproduct.
            stick to the ten primal laws and KIP (Keep It Primal...thanks iniquity) and with time you will undoubtedly get healthier, have way more energy, and probably be lighter...certainly leaner.
            I agree with this
            ad astra per aspera

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn View Post
              This may be counterintuitive, but I saw differences in my physique (I don't weigh) when I added some healthy carbs back in. Sweet potato or 1/2 a banana was enough for my body to bounce some of the weight off. Especially if you are doing crossfit, you might need a bit more carbs in your diet.
              ^This. Having sushi once a week is fine....probably good for you to have the carbs if you're doing crossfit. Maybe you just need to eat a little more-are you measuring or just weighing?
              $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback.

I do IF 16-18 hours once a week, following my cheat.

I would really miss my cheat. You guys all think that one 'off' meal a week is enough to derail 20 (ish) Primal meals a week? Really?????!!!!

I am weighing myself, taking measurements and taking monthly photos to track my progress. I really think I should be making more progress......

Comment

Originally posted by jesslikesstuff View Post

I am weighing myself, taking measurements and taking monthly photos to track my progress. I really think I should be making more progress......
                  How much weight have you lost? You said you started Jan 4 but only gave current weight, not starting weight.
                  "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Comment

I would really miss my cheat. You guys all think that one 'off' meal a week is enough to derail 20 (ish) Primal meals a week? Really?????!!!!
                    Yes. And stop weighing yourself--not really helpful since it doesn't tell you a thing about your body composition. Read this.
                    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Definitely not....as long as you're not eating thousands of calories in that meal. I think a cheat meal can be beneficial to weight loss. Have you tracked your food-are you sure you're eating enough?
                      $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback.

I do IF 16-18 hours once a week, following my cheat.

Maybe. Depends on how much you eat. Personally, sushi is one of those foods I can practically binge on. There's a lot of sweetened white rice in sushi, too. What you may want to try is loading up on sashimi and only getting your favorite maki with the rice.

If you're going for ketosis, then you could try monitoring with ketostix. That could give you a better indication of the impact of your cheat.

Comment

What's in the sausage? Eat more veg with your lunch salad. I agree not enough sat fat and not enough carb. Oh, I think real nuts are much much better than nut butter.

Stop weighing yourself or use it only to track the general trend. Have you got a food journal here? It would be a good idea.

I'm the same height as you but much older and way less active and it looks like I eat more than you.

Patience grasshopper
                          Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

Comment

Ditch the weekly rice. Give your body the chance to get into a real primal groove.... It will respond.

Comment

Thyroid issue? May want to check that out.

Comment

Working...
                              X