So the eggs I've been buying are not truly "free-range" after all

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thy will eat anything.

My dad was abandoned in Thailand after his ship left port in the middle of battle (Vietnam War) and he and his fellow Navy buddies had to resort to eating a chicken that was pecking around in the streets.

Little did he know how bad his food-poisoning would be since that little chicken ate anything and everything, including the excrement that its food was lying in!!! Ewwwww....

To this day, he still says that was the worst case of food poisoning he's ever experienced!

Comment

I agree...feed supplementation for chickens is pretty normal unless the farmer has a very strict rotation of cows on the pasture (which generate lots of poo and so, subsequent to that, lots of bugs). There are some fully-sustained, fully-pastured chickens but it does require a pretty strict rotation....chickens following cows rotated to new pasture daily. Even then, things usually change a bit in winter since it's too cold to keep the birds outside (and the cows come in too). In general, if the chickens have access to pasture and are eating some bugs you're getting eggs that are very close to the best you can buy. I'd keep buying them.

Comment

Chickens and pigs, the garbage disposals of every farm family.

Comment

Working...
        X