No announcement yet.

Alcohol- Where you at?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome..this is stupid of me,and I'm sorry for being nosey but do you mind explaining what your menu looks like? I've been told to eat mostly protein when you drink and no veggies or other carbs..which makes some sense but I'm interested to see how the "drinkers" menus look compared to ones that don't drink.

Comment

Ps- I was told to eat like that when drinking to avoid weight gain..

Comment

Alcohol with starch post-workout is fine - it can help shunt glucose to glycogen in the muscles as opposed to the liver. Yes, it's best to avoid eating a lot of fat with alcohol, and also to avoid eating much sugar with alcohol too as the fructose in combination can put undue strain on the liver. Seems to work fine with moderate protein - I eat most of my protein at breakfast and lunch.
        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I drink red wine --- not every night, but generally around 4 nights per week. The more fit I become, the less wine I desire. I try to do my workouts in the evening, which generally ends in a 'no wine' evening and early to bed -- which is fine with me. I have stopped drinking Guinness (my fav in the summer), and my fav martinis are restricted to two per year (shaken, with olives, straight up!).
          ----------------------------------------
          F, 48, 5'10"
          Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
          Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

My indulgence of choice is grapefruit juice with vodka. Yum. I just don't drink it everyday.

Beer makes me feel bloated and full and wine is just not my thing although I have tried time and time again to enjoy it
            since I live in wine country.
            I have always liked grapefruit juice so this combo works perfect for me and is something I look forwards to having
            some evenings. I consider it a treat much preferred to a sweet dessert.

Comment

Originally posted by ErinC View Post
              NO! There was that article posted a while back (from Leangains) that suggested alcohol might actually assist fat metabolism!!!!!

At least... that's how I chose to interpret it.
              *pours another glass of Cab*
              Well - I was away for 5 days visiting my parents and during those 5 days my partner didn't drink any alcohol. And lost three quarters of a stone - just not having the usual 2 glasses of wine a day... So I might try it ...!

Comment

I know for a fact that cutting it out is the easiest way to drop a few pounds..but I've been doing this for 3 almost 4 years...I can't handle being sober all the time much longer! I feel like I've let this "way of eating" control too much & I'm ready to enjoy my wine again. But I'm afraid of the weight gain,so I'm trying to figure out the best menu for me to follow when I do drink..note, I don't plan on drinking everyday or getting hammered when I do but I guess I just want to be as primal & clean with everything else..if for no other reason so the guilt doesnt get to me too bad.. again I'm on my phone so if this is filled with errors, I'm sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by ashley.thepie.rat View Post
                  again I'm on my phone so if this is filled with errors, I'm sorry!
                  I accept your apology.

Comment

I've been at this for a little over a year now, and I've lost a lot of weight without cutting out the alcohol, why start now? BRB, gonna grab a drink.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofturtles View Post
                      I accept your apology.
                      Thank goodness..:]

Comment

Hi all. I was thinking of starting a new thread but since I saw this one I thought this would be a good place to ask. I LOVE my good, craft brewed beer and it loves me. That said, I've been considering how to cut back. I listened to a podcast of Dr. Lauren Noel a while ago and she talks about using animal fat to help with addiction. Here's the link:
                        ADDICTION: The Hidden Epidemic with Pam Killeen 06/12 by DrLoRadio | Blog Talk Radio

Now, I don't know how good Dr. Noel is but I really can't afford to "go to her" so to speak so I was wondering if any of you had heard of this concept or understood how it worked. I probably DON'T get enough animal fat. I tend to eat a decent amount of ground, grass fed beef, of course that's lean. I also eat a decent amount of pastured chicken breast. I like dark meat but I also like the breast and I like that there's no bones/cartiledge, etc. I AM thinking about getting a rotisserie for my grill so that I can cook more whole chickens. I'll have a steak once in a while but not super often and I'm also a big fan of making fajitas which involve skirt steak. I have noticed that when I drink raw, grass fed milk that I feel full very quickly. I hope that satiety is not the basis of her concept here.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Comment

I don't know a lot about fat helping w/alcohol. But I wanted to let you know that while not a huge source of fat, your 95/5 lean ground beef does have substantial fat in it.

95/5 that the grocery store uses is a by weight measurement.

However, 1 ounce of 95/5 ground beef has 38 calories and 1.4 grams of fat.
                          1.4 grams of fat x 9 calories per gram = 12.6 calories.
                          12.6 calories of fat divided by 38 calories total = .33 = 33% of the calories are fat.

While I know that 33% of total calories being fat is low for primal eating, I just wanted to point out a misconception that a lot of people have about lean meats.
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Thanks for that JoanieL. I suppose I had that misperception too, esp after a letter Mark posted on the blog the other day, this one: Dear Mark: Beef Suet, Lowered HR, Alcohol, and Long Easy Runs | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

We avoid the half empties at all costs. It's too stressful and we know that stress will stall weight loss.
                              ----------------------------------------
                              F, 48, 5'10"
                              Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                              Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Working...
                              X