Carbohydrate - 'of which sugars'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbohydrate - 'of which sugars'

Here in the UK food labels include Carbohydrate content (obviously!)

However Its usually in the following format (i'll use porridge as an example)
    Per 100g
    Carbohydrate 63.5g
    Of which Sugars 12.7g

Which of these should be used as the correct indicator of Carb content?

Thanks!

PJ

the total carbs: 63.5g
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

use the 63.5
      My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

Just to highjack this (sorry!), what about Net Carbs and Dietary Fibre so beloved of Atkins? That always used to confuse me as our labels show Carbohydrates, Of Which Sugars and Fibre all as separate items.

Comment

In the book, Mark recommends using the gross carbs(no pun intended) not net for figuring your daily carb intake.

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

UK (and European) nutrition labels deduct the fibre from the total carbs, so the figure shown is the figure for net carbs. That means that if you want to know the total carbs you would need to add the fibre back in.

Comment

Originally posted by skink531 View Post
              In the book, Mark recommends using the gross carbs(no pun intended) not net for figuring your daily carb intake.
              So that's our simple Carbohydrate figure? Without messing around with sugars and fibres?

Comment

Sorry Mollymoe, we posted at the same time. Now I'm really confused. Doesn't take much lol

Comment

Opps. Wasn't aware of the how they do things in the UK. So whatever you have to do to figure total carbs is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Mollymoe View Post
                    UK (and European) nutrition labels deduct the fibre from the total carbs, so the figure shown is the figure for net carbs. That means that if you want to know the total carbs you would need to add the fibre back in.
                    Ok, I think I've got it.

I've just eaten 100g of raspberries. Entered into Fitday it shows as 11.9 grams of Carb in that 100 grams. On the package label it says 4.6g per 100g (of which sugars = 4.6g) and 6.5g of fibre. Add the 2 together and it's about right for what Fitday thinks.

Hmmmm, will have to be careful then if I'm entering my own foods into Fitday to remember this or I'm potentially going to be well down on Carb calculation.

Thanks Mollymoe.

Comment

I think that if you just stick to meat and vegetables (limiting the more starchy vegetables if you're trying to lose weight) you can't really go wrong. There's no need to over analyse this when you are starting out. Just eat the good stuff and avoid the bad stuff. Eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full. You need to get used to this way of eating first and see how it works for you. Once you've been doing it a while you may want to start tweaking and that's when you might want to start playing around with ratios.

Oh and PJ, step away from the porridge

Comment

I thought that including the fiber was just a shortcut. Since fiber is digested into saturated fat by bacteria in your gut and absorbed as fat, not carbohydrate, there really is no need to include it. Most vegetables are so low in carbs, however, that doing the math is a pain for most. It also gives you a safety margin if you're trying to lose weight. But I've heard of folks getting in trouble by not getting enough carbs because all their carbs were from vegetables, so if you're already lean, be careful.

Gordo

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
                          so if you're already lean, be careful.

Gordo
                          At 220lbs that's definitely not my problem ;-) but noted and thank you all for your help

Comment

Working...
                          X