A list of primal foods that have a long shelf life at RT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A list of primal foods that have a long shelf life at RT

So I'm preparing some foods for a disaster/emergency situation and wondered what are some good choices.

So far I've got:

Tinned fish
    Coconut oil
    Butter
    Chocolate

Add to this list!

I don't want to be going hungry if there's an earthquake or a meteorite strike or something.

pemmican
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

Dehydrated foods of all kinds

Comment

Coconut milk and ghee.

Comment

Chia seeds. Mine from Nutiva have a 2 year shelf life.

Comment

I have artichokes and fire-roasted red peppers in glass jars and tomatoes, olives and green beans in cans.
            I have honey and dried coconut, too.

Comment

We strongly believe in having a 3 month supply of emergency food and water. Like you said- you never know when the next blizzard/ice storm/hurricane/tornado/flood/solar flare/ etc will happen. My husband lost his job last year, and while he was unemployed for 4 months, we ate a lot of our food storage so we wouldn't have to use money on groceries. We've been spending this last year getting it built back up.

We have a lot of dried fruits/veggies stored in case of an emergency. We have LOTS of cans of veggies- peas, green beans, spinach, turnip greens, carrots, olives, etc. We also have powdered milk, sardines, tuna, anchovies, canned chicken, and even a few cans of spam. We also have a few #10 cans of powdered eggs. Admittedly, we have a few non-primal foods in food storage (red wheat, oats, corn meal, rice). I figure in an emergency- we'll have to eat- even if it's not primal. Definitely don't forget to store plenty of water!
              http://primalyak.blogspot.com

Comment

Canned squash and canned sweet potato might also be useful.
                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                  Canned squash and canned sweet potato might also be useful.
                  I'll have to look out for the canned squash and SP. I was actually wondering this morning, as I might be going camping later on, what are some good carby foods that don't require much preparation.

I'll be burning a lot of calories and think it'll be a good idea to up the carbs when I'm out.

Rice and SP would be ideal but foods that don't need cooking would be better. Any ideas??

Comment

get a pressure cooker, you can can anything
                    Get on my Level
                    http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                      get a pressure cooker, you can can anything

This! There's a slight learning curve, but home canning is, IMO, a skill everyone should have. There's also the huge advantage of knowing exactly what's in your food and where it came from in the first place.

Start up is a bit spendy: a quality pressure cooker (do NOT waste $$ on a cheapie), jars & lids and a few special tools. After that you're good to go. My dehyrator earns its keep too.

Anyone interested in food storage or any aspects of prepardedness will find massive amounts of information here: The Survival Podcast Forum - Index

Comment

Thanks, I'll look into that

Comment

Originally posted by LJH View Post
                          This! There's a slight learning curve, but home canning is, IMO, a skill everyone should have. There's also the huge advantage of knowing exactly what's in your food and where it came from in the first place.

Start up is a bit spendy: a quality pressure cooker (do NOT waste $$ on a cheapie), jars & lids and a few special tools. After that you're good to go. My dehyrator earns its keep too.

Anyone interested in food storage or any aspects of prepardedness will find massive amounts of information here: The Survival Podcast Forum - Index
                          HEY! A fellow survival podcaster! nice! I'm elcoyote over there!

And I agree, canned and jarred vegetables and fruits, and even meat! You can can ground beef, ground turkey, chicken, etc! Also, a garden is very important. It's nice to be able to grow your own food. Sweet potatoes and other root vegetables don't even have to be canned (although they certainly can be!) they store really well in a cool dark space. Squash and other hardy veges are good for long term storage too.

Cans of tomato sauce, salt, spices (preferably in whole form as they last longer) you can jar all manner of fruit, including avocado.

A pressure canner and a dehydrator, and you can fill your pantry with yummy food for all year long!

Crap! I'm An Adult!

My Primal Journal

http://badquaker.com <--- podcast I'm a part of. Check it out if you like anarchy, geekiness and random ramblings.

Comment

Working...
                          X