Ok teach me biology 101

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok teach me biology 101

I am going low on carbs. Maybe 20-30grams maybe a bit more as I am not "counting"

I am riding about an hour a day and doing a bit of full body exercises too.

So if I deplete my glycogen stores (I did 10 sprints today on the bike and rode 45 minutes) over days or reduce them a lot then what happens as far as muscle glycogen replenishment.

A. I this only replenish with the carbs I am eating or
    B. Can the body use other sources i.e. fats/protein to create the sugars to help in the process?

Thanks,

Stephen

Now, I'm dumber than a bag of hammers, so know that before you listen too much to me. But I believe your body can convert some of the protein into glucose.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

Whats your motivation for carb restriction?

Comment

It started out as weight loss. I am about 175 and I want to be 155. Power to weight ratio. I was training hard November/December and I was just getting strong and things felt great. My base miles were adding up and 4 hour trainer sessions were feeling great. I was fueling on carbs about every 90 minutes. BUT THEN I JUMPED ON A SCALE - 180 lbs. I raced at around 162 last year. I was not really fat and I had been doing weight training since last year but that won't help me scale a mountain!

Now I still want to lose weight but I am very surprised that I feel very good and if I can do 3 months of base training while losing some weight I would be very happy. I can introduce more carbs later when the intensity is higher and I am getting closer to some events.

Calories restriction in the general sense just kills my workouts and I just don't get anywhere. I am always too extreme. I dropped my intake of everything in January and ended up almost non-functional and severely dehydrated. I took me month to just feel normal again. If I can eat high fat/ protein and lose weight AND still train I am golden. Since I am really just in an endurance mode I don't need a ton of stores of sugar.
        Last edited by stephenmarklay; 03-01-2011, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
          It started out as weight loss. I am about 175 and I want to be 155. Power to weight ratio. I was training hard November/December and I was just getting strong and things felt great. My base miles were adding up and 4 hour trainer sessions were feeling great. I was fueling on carbs about every 90 minutes. BUT THEN I JUMPED ON A SCALE - 180 lbs. I raced at around 162 last year. I was not really fat and I had been doing weight training since last year but that won't help me scale a mountain!.
          what kind of carbs were you fueling on? were you primal/paleo at the time?
          sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

I was was not primal/paleo per se but I read paleo and changed my habits a couple years ago. Primal is new to me. My daily food was basically veggies and fruits but in large quantity. Although I had been slowly adding in some carbs from grains I am passed that.

I was stupid to fall in the trap of simple carbs for training and was while eating at home I would eat toast with honey or jam every 90 minutes or so. I was just to much food. My muscles were happy but so were my fat cells.

I am going really nearly straight Paleo with on very minor exceptions right now but with no deliberate carbs (for now).
            Last edited by stephenmarklay; 03-02-2011, 11:09 AM.

Comment

remember that not all carbs are the same. what did you in, obviously, was the grains and the sugar.

any primal/paleo authority i've read says that particularly active/athletic/endurance people do need to keep their carbs up for performance. steering clear of the fructose, this can be achieved with sweet potatoes, etc. but i do agree that i dont think as much carbohydrate is needed as "they" say is needed.

then there's the 'train low race high' theory, where you dont need the extra carbage until race day.

i have seen a few places, however, where cyclists have maintained VLC throughout training AND on race day, their performance suffers for 2-3 weeks, but then improves again. i, personally, do not have the desire to add to the experiment.

i only stumbled on a couple pages on this, though. the majority of them, however, still say you need carbs.
              Last edited by batty; 03-02-2011, 11:53 AM.
              sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

I have a related question. When you read about coconut oil, it sounds like medium-chain fatty acids (which is in coconut oil) is metabolized by the body in the same way as carbs, as opposed to other fats. What I want to know is whether or not there is a correlation between getting low-carb flu and coconut oil.

Those of you low-carbers who ingest lots of coconut oil: Did you get low-carb flu?

Those of you low-carbers who do not ingest lots of coconut oil: Did you get low-carb flu?

Comment

Working...
                X