Snacking: for or against?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snacking: for or against?

Personally, I like to snack 1 or 2 times a day (small snacks though) between breakfast & lunch or lunch & dinner (I'm not a big dessert guy). On tuesdays & thursdays I fast from 4 pm until breakfast the next day because I have school after work & get home real late. Since becoming primal 6 months ago I've seen incredible results. My favorite snacks are macadamias & dark chocolate. What about you? For or against?
    -Connoisseur Guy

I eat when I am hungry. If I can't go for a meal (e.g. am stuck at work) I will eat a snack. I do not have planned snack times, just things available if needed.

So not against. I just am not for planning set snack times.

Comment

I don't plan snack times either. But if I'm hungry and there's no meal in sight, I will snack. It's usually beef jerky or nuts. But it's not an everyday thing.

Comment

+1

Planned snacking was something I did back in the 6-small-meals-a-day years.

Comment

I dont plan snack, but if I am hungry I eat. I keep nuts in my car so that I have something if I need it.

Sometimes I am hungry when I dont think I "should" be so I eat a small snack. But if I am still hungry a short time later I just go ahead and have a meal if I can.
          MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

i do not plan my snacks but like the others i keep nuts around or even cooked bacon in the fridge. . . i am finding for the most part i do not even need a snack. but i will eat if i am hungry!!

Comment

I don't plan my snacks either It just happens to be that most of the time when I snack its at those times. I'm not one of the "little small meal" followers.
              -Connoisseur Guy

Comment

Well, if i'm hungry then i am for it.

But it is a beware thing, because daily snacking on dark chocolate and nuts is not optimal.

I would suggest a couple of boiled eggs/fruit(unless you are scared of fruit) or jerky etc...

Also, while there is nothing wrong with snacking per se, one should question why they need to snack in the first place. But then again it doesn't really matter. Snacking is better than hunger, and who can be bothered to eat a proper meal all the time anyway

Comment

There is nothing wrong with snacking on primal-approved snacks. I have either fruits, dark chocolate or a canned of sardines/salmon. I don't believe, as I formally did, that having a snack in between meals is a "must", but I do enjoy my daily fruit or dark chocolate between breakfast and lunch (I skip dinner everyday, and IF till next day...14-16.5 hours total).

Comment

I hate snacking. I'm used to eating big meals. Eating a snack kind of leaves my body like "what the fuck, that's it?" and I end up just constantly thinking about food until I can get something more substantial inside me (I actually don't know if this is a physiological or psychological thing). Whereas if I had just passed on the snack and fasted until my next real meal, I would have felt much more content overall.
                    Last edited by Styrofoam Jones; 03-01-2011, 03:47 PM.

Comment

I think it's up to the individual. I would rather not snack - more shopping and planning to do, but I can't eat a lot at one sitting, so I find myself requiring a between lunch-dinner snack, and an after dinner snack. My body tells me what to do, and it wants to graze, basically.

I am bringing hard-boiled eggs, cut up veggies and dip, bacon, cold leftover steak slices, nuts and fruits to work for the afternoon snack. After dinner I've been eating more of whatever I had for dinner, or a small protein smoothie with yogurt
                      Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Comment

I'm like Styrofoam Jones. I'm so used to eating large meals that when I snack, I feel compelled to keep eating and feel much better when I just stick to my large meals.

Comment

I don't have a rule against snacking, I just find it's something I don't do, especially since going primal. My first meal is around noon or 1 so maybe that factors into that. I just do lunch and dinner. Maybe once a week I might find myself snacking on coconut flakes or nuts.

Comment

Sometimes I have a snack a bit before my first meal of the day or a few hours after my last meal of the day. These aren't ever planned though, just if I feel like it. I avoid snacking between meals because I always end up grazing on a few different things and activate the sugar monster and then ruin my appetite for my next big meal.

Comment

I'm chuckling to myself as I remember back to my CW/SAD days when a "snack" was one of those nasty 100-calorie packs of cookies or crackers. WTF was I thinking?!

Yes, I snack if I'm hungry because if I don't, then I tend to overeat at my next meal. However, I've tried to be more in-tune with whether or not I'm truly hungry or just bored.

Comment

Working...
                              X