X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9-bars?

how Primal are these, do you recon?

http://www.9-bar.co.uk/index.asp

I'm trying to find an energy bar I can use during day-long bike rides.. these seem to have the lowest carb and highest nut count (and they taste lovely!!)

Reading the ingredients of the original Mixed seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, poppy) (55%), carob topping (sugar, vegetable fat, soya, carob, emulsifier: sunflower lecithin) (15%), honey, raw cane sugar, vegetable oil, dehulled hemp seed (3%).

I'd skip it.

Comment

None of them look good to me.

Comment

12.8 grams of omega six in the original bar. You would have to be supplementing with fish oil caps by the handfull.
        My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

not ideal no, but if I'm on a bike for eight hours I need to eat *something*... Are they better than a clif bar, do you recon? http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_clif_bar/

Comment

Organic Brown Rice Syrup, ClifPro® (Soy Rice Crisp [Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Barley Malt Extract, Calcium Carbonate], Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soy Flour), Organic Rolled Oats, Dried Apricots (Apricots, Evaporated Cane Juice, Rice Flour, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid), Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, ClifCrunch® (Organic Oat Fiber, Inulin [Chicory Extract], Organic Milled Flaxseed, Organic Oat Bran, Psyllium), Organic Dried Apples, Organic Date Paste, Organic Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, Citric Acid, Salt, Colored With Annatto.

I wouldn't eat that either!

This is portable and should help with your energy needs while biking (they taste good too):

Cocoa Date Truffles

9 Medjool Dates, pitted
            3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
            Juice of half a lime
            100g chopped nuts

Put dates, 2 Tbsp cocoa, lime juice and nuts in a food processor and blend until the mixture forms a stiff ball - adding more lime juice if necessary to help bring the mixture together.

Roll mixture into small balls then roll in remaining cocoa powder.

Comment

LaraBars are primal, they got em at stop n shop in the Natural section by the cliff bars.

Why not make your own trail mix though?

Comment

Energy Balls
                From Dr Oz show

1/2 cup Nut butter
                1 Tbsp honey
                11/2 cups flax meal
                1/2 cup raisins or 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips

Roll into bite-sized balls and refrigerate for at least an hour before eating.

Comment

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-energy-bar-redux/

or

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/contest-august-19/
                  If your food is fast, maybe you should fast.

Comment

brilliant thanks!

(I dont think larabars are sold here in the UK)

Comment

Originally posted by O_O View Post
                      Cocoa Date Truffles

9 Medjool Dates, pitted
                      3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
                      Juice of half a lime
                      100g chopped nuts

Put dates, 2 Tbsp cocoa, lime juice and nuts in a food processor and blend until the mixture forms a stiff ball - adding more lime juice if necessary to help bring the mixture together.

Roll mixture into small balls then roll in remaining cocoa powder.
                      Eff yeah! Those sound amazing! On my to-do list...

Stats as of 3/1/12:
                      5'10" female, 38 y/o
                      Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
                      WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
                      DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
                      EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Comment

If you're in the UK, try a few Nakd bars.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyt View Post
                          (I dont think larabars are sold here in the UK)
                          They're pretty simple things - mostly just a nut and date base, with minimal added ingredients like cocoa powder, coconut, etc. This web site has a list of recipes to make your own, it seems easy enough as long as you've got a food processor. I haven't tried it yet.
                          "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

Yes, Larabars are sold in the UK. Try your local healthfood store, independent as GNC didn't carry it last time I checked. You anywhere near Infinity Foods? Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X