OK...Hmmm...Interesting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK...Hmmm...Interesting

Ok, I got on the scale this morning because I was feeling "light" after waking. And low and behold I had lost another 3 lbs!!! So, Im down a total of 20 from when I started. I weighed 228 lbs this morning.

But as usual, the scale brings with it more questions than answers! So, I have another question for all of you "fitness" groks out there. Zen groks, if this thread is boring you...I apologize. I promise to become more ZEN-like when I get closer to where I want to be....

The question: I dropped 3 lbs from my last weighing earlier this week (I was 231). But I had TWO large glasses of red wine yesterday...which was a big splurge for me. I know alcohol stops fat burning as it is preferred fuel over EVERYTHING else (i.e. the liver tries to eliminate it IMMEDIATELY over everything else in the bloodstream). But this is the second time since I have went PB that I noticed a larger than normal loss of body weight after drinking red wine.Coincidence? Or is there something with the red wine?? Anyone else have this experience??? Personally, I am a HUGE fan of red wine and when I was CW I would have several glasses everyday. But since going PB I have by and large cut it out except for only special occasions. What gives people? Any ideas/advice will be appreciated....
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Red wine has a diuretic effect, so you excreted water
    http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by kitoi View Post
      Red wine has a diuretic effect, so you excreted water
      yes. there is nothing magical about red wine.
      Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

OK...Kitoi..I could see that and I thought that might be the reason. Which begs the next question, why would my body holding onto the excess water weight then? When in Ketosis.....which I am almost 100% of the time as measured by my trusty Ketostix and strong smelling urine (sorry, If I grossed anyone out with that but I can tell by the smell of my urine now when I am ketogenic), I literally am going to the bathroom 10-15 times a day. I drink water throughout my entire day and I use the bathroom A LOT. So, I know my body is processing my bodyfat and dietary fat as energy. And being Ketogenic is supposed to have a diuretic effect in and of itself:water is used for fat hydrolysis...and excess water and ketones are excreted through the breath and urine.

So, with all of that going on...I throw down two glasses of wine (i.e. about 1/3 of a small sized wine bottle-not a big carafe)....and lose ~ 3lbs? It just doesnt make sense to me. I suppose its possible...but why would my body hold onto so much water when I am constantly drinking it to continue fat metabolism???

If Red Wine does this routinely ....then I am thinking I need a "Wine Purge" every couple of weeks!!!

Comment

can't link you at the moment cus I'm using my phone but Leangains had a write up about alcohol and fat loss go check it out...
          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/tru...nd-muscle.html

what I really think you need to do is have a nice break-up ceremony with your scale.

Comment

And that is a damned shame!

Originally posted by kennelmom View Post
              yes. there is nothing magical about red wine.
              True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
              The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Comment

itll balance out.... yes the wine caused the water loss, but it *should* also cause a drop in cortisol, so when fat burning resumed may have done so in a better manner?? hahah its a stretch but keeping hopes up, red wine=
                Get on my Level
                http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by moo View Post
                  http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/tru...nd-muscle.html

what I really think you need to do is have a nice break-up ceremony with your scale.
                  Yes, Moo, I need to get rid of the scale. But old habits die SO hard!

And I am after all a truly Scientific Grok. We need to analyze, analyze ,analyze...weighing is just another tool for data analysis.

Sorry if I bore you with all of my anal-yzing!

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                    can't link you at the moment cus I'm using my phone but Leangains had a write up about alcohol and fat loss go check it out...
                    When you get a chance....can you send me the link???

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                      itll balance out.... yes the wine caused the water loss, but it *should* also cause a drop in cortisol, so when fat burning resumed may have done so in a better manner?? hahah its a stretch but keeping hopes up, red wine=
                      I like the theory, Mal. Seriously. I hadn't thought that the alcohol is a stress reliever....that is why it is recommended in moderation for CW people, right? You know, the ol' "1 drink a day is good for you".

I seriously think you are onto something there. Nothing else explains the "letting loose" of all that water. A significant drop in my cortisol level in the blood could have that effect I think....(coupled with the diuretic of effect of the wine???)

Hmmm....Im going to look into that some more.

Comment

why are you peeing 15 times a day? does ketosis cause that? I'd be irritated to be visiting the bathroom that often. I think I do maybe 4 times a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitter View Post
                          why are you peeing 15 times a day? does ketosis cause that? I'd be irritated to be visiting the bathroom that often. I think I do maybe 4 times a day.
                          I drink a large amount of water all day. I keep a 20oz bottle filled and with me pretty much wherever... I am and I sip on it all day. I drink so much water because

1) it is supposed to aid in breaking down bodyfat for energy
                          2) I need to drink ~2L a day to remain hydrated and flush out the kidneys... as I have had kidney stones (6) in the past when I was CW and drinking Diet Pepsi's constantly. So far, since adopting the 2L per day approach...I have not had any more issues with kidney stones. That has been several years now (i.e. I started it several years ago before going PB).
                          3) I am thirsty when in ketosis. I dont know if its the ketones being discharged in my breath or what...but I constantly feel like I need to drink some water when I am ketogenic.

These three reasons all have the effect of putting me in the bathroom about 1 time per hour. It does get annoying...but if things are "working" then I am not going to mess with it.

Comment

nacho - I posted the link somewhere above.

I think your scale makes you "scientific" and freaks you out. But you already know that. LOL. I say that lovingly.

I LOVE red wine and don't feel guilty when I have a glass here and there. Even a glass a night. Therein lies the problem. Bottle. Gone. I don't have an issue with sweets or chocolate etc, but red wine is my go to.

Fortunately the new stuff I just got (a case) is way too sweet for me.

Comment

Originally posted by moo View Post
                              nacho - I posted the link somewhere above.

I think your scale makes you "scientific" and freaks you out. But you already know that. LOL. I say that lovingly.

I LOVE red wine and don't feel guilty when I have a glass here and there. Even a glass a night. Therein lies the problem. Bottle. Gone. I don't have an issue with sweets or chocolate etc, but red wine is my go to.

Fortunately the new stuff I just got (a case) is way too sweet for me.
                              I know....I am a PB nerd. I admit it. I analyze everything like ants under a magnifying glass. I truly cant help it though....my degree and livelihood are science based (I have a Bio/Chemistry degree and I work as a scientist in the Bio-tech/Pharmaceutical industry). So, I am trained all day to look at processes and figure out the "nuts and bolts" of it all, find and fix any "problems".

Sorry if it gets a bit "overdone". I dont have to be technical all the time.

Like with red wine (at least we have that in common, right?). I do have the same "problem" as you. If I allow myself a glass a day...then the glass becomes two or three and pretty soon I've had an entire bottle. I had done this for a while before going PB. So, since I am being healthy and all...I thought I'd forgo the wine everyday. It seems to have helped. Once in a while is much better....(although, can you believe I had a headache this morning after only 2 glasses! Seriously?? Wuss!). I have no issues with sweets or chocolates either (hence, the argument with the wife at the beginning of this thread).

So, maybe you and I aren't that different after all, Zen-Moo....

Comment

Working...
                              X