Vinegar?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinegar?

Is it paleo/primal approved? I use it when I make bone broths and in certain marinades. But if it is on the no-no list I will remove it. I hear a lot of people use apple cider vinegar. Why use that as opposed to conventional distilled vinegar? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

ACV has a miriad of supposed health benefits when you buy the unpasteurised stuff. I use it cos I like it.

As to whether it's approved, I'm fairly certain it is. You actually need it to make your bone broths, as you probably know, in order to extract all the good stuff from the bones.
    My Journal

Comment

I would say yes it's fine.

If you get ACV I would choose Bragg's.

"Certified Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is unfiltered, unheated, unpasteurized and 5% acidity. Contains the amazing Mother of Vinegar which occurs naturally as strand-like enzymes of connected protein molecules."

Comment

If you want a really good tasting balsamic vinegar. Kühne Condimento Balsamico Bianco is fabulous. Just grape must and white wine vinegar. No added sugar, carmel colour etc.

http://www.kuehne.de/en/Product_Worl...00ml/index.php

Comment

Thanks for the feedback NourishedEm and O_O. I will look into the ACV. Much appreciated!
          "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Most white Vin is made from grains. You don't have to use vin for broth but it sure helps. Be sure balsamic only has must and Vinegar.
            5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
            Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
            Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
            Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
            ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Any vinegar without added sugar is fine (which really just rules out cheaper balsamic vinegars and that "seasoned" rice vinegar that's used for sushi). Oh, and malt vinegar has some gluten because of the barley, so I guess that's out.

I don't mind if my vinegar was made from grains, like rice vinegar - by the time the rice is made into wine and the wine is made into vinegar, nothing harmful is in there anymore. I thought about it, but choosing not to use it just because there were grains involved would seem more like a religion/belief system than science-based eating, which creeps me out.
              "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

Its more that they (standard. White. Vinegar especially store brands) are hyper- processed but tis hard to make clarifications while I'm typing on this Terrible phone keyboard lol.
                5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Hyper-processing is not necessarily a bad thing. "Standard" vinegar is probably from grain, distilled, and then diluted down to 5%. In this case, the distilling is actually beneficial because it dissociates the final product (acetic acid, which the body does use for some functions) from its source (grains, which we do not like).

Comment

Mark had a post on making your own wine vinegar not that long ago. Excellent post and there was lots of good info in the comments, too. I'd go look at that.

Distilled white vinegar is great for green cleaning. I wouldn't eat it. I'm sure it is from some industrial GMO corn waste or such. Watch out for store-bought vinegars in general. Often you'll get distilled white vinegar flavored and colored and labeled "wine" or "cider", etc. Hold out for the real thing.

At the Asian market, you will find cane juice vinegar, coconut vinegar and others in addition to rice vinegar.

Comment

Originally posted by mayness View Post
                      Any vinegar without added sugar is fine (which really just rules out cheaper balsamic vinegars and that "seasoned" rice vinegar that's used for sushi). Oh, and malt vinegar has some gluten because of the barley, so I guess that's out.

I don't mind if my vinegar was made from grains, like rice vinegar - by the time the rice is made into wine and the wine is made into vinegar, nothing harmful is in there anymore. I thought about it, but choosing not to use it just because there were grains involved would seem more like a religion/belief system than science-based eating, which creeps me out.
                      Except for malt vinegar which contains gluten
                      Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                      Harold Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by O_O View Post
                        I would say yes it's fine.

If you get ACV I would choose Bragg's.

"Certified Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is unfiltered, unheated, unpasteurized and 5% acidity. Contains the amazing Mother of Vinegar which occurs naturally as strand-like enzymes of connected protein molecules."
                        I agree, raw, unpastuerized apple cider vinegar is the best, though other raw vinegars (if you can find them or make them) would be good too.

Comment

I know Cordain's book was against vinegar and all fermented foods. Or at least the Paleo for Athletes was because of ph.
                          PB is in favor of the fermented foods because of probiotic action.

Not that it has decreased my consumption any. In fact since I eat a BAS nearly every day I have to say my vinegar consumption is up.
                          MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

Hmmm... I might go strictly Apple Cider Vinegar (raw unpasteurized) after reading some of this; thank you. Apologies for this thread resurrection .
                            If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

I stick with apple cider vinenar. I have a question, why is it more expensive (almost twice) to buy unfiltered as it is to buy filtered?

Comment

Working...
                              X