• Show
Clear All

• Is nutritional yeast primal?

Well...is it??
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
    --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
    --Hyperlithic

What is nutritional yeast?

Comment

dead micro-organisms that vegans and vegetarians dont consider to be animals (sort of like the insects and bacteria that dont count in their pesticide ridden monocrops). they try get their b12 from it. i dont see why it wouldnt be, but i doubt many people here would really be eating it. We will just eat butter,cream and cheese instead.

Comment

I feed it to my mealworms. *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by earthspirit View Post
          dead micro-organisms that vegans and vegetarians dont consider to be animals (sort of like the insects and bacteria that dont count in their pesticide ridden monocrops). they try get their b12 from it. i dont see why it wouldnt be, but i doubt many people here would really be eating it. We will just eat butter,cream and cheese instead.
          Lol ok. Yeah I figured it wasn't popular here, but the only dairy I'm doing is butter, and there's a good "queso" dip that I make with the nutritional yeast...
          "The mountains are calling and I must go."
          --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
          --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
          --Hyperlithic

Comment

Originally posted by Clymb View Post
            Lol ok. Yeah I figured it wasn't popular here, but the only dairy I'm doing is butter, and there's a good "queso" dip that I make with the nutritional yeast...
            realized it was causing my roof mouth to peel...dropped it and it stopped! also gave me a sour taste int he back my mouth
            Get on my Level
            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

I can't do dairy... so I put nutritional yeast on things I wish had a little cheese.

How do you make your dip?
              ~Blog~

Comment

I can see how people who cannot tolerate dairy could find it helpful. Thankfully, even though I cant tolerate straight milk, i can tolerate cheese, small amounts of cream if used in recipes or splashed into my coffee, yogurt and butter.

Comment

I've never used it.

Comment

One of the keys to a healthy diet in my opinion, is to eliminate highly processed freak foods. Nutritional yeast is a very highly processed food. Mind bogglingly so.

The only reason it has b12 is because the growers add synthetic b12 to it. It's just a strange food. I've tried it a couple times, always had some reaction like getting itchy or tired. Your call! I wouldn't recommend it.

Comment

Here's a pretty descriptive link as to how nutritional yeast is made:

http://www.redstaryeast.com/science_...onal_yeast.php

I used to add it to plain yogurt, or mix with flax seed oil to make something that tasted like peanut butter. I can't remember where I found the latter recipe, but I think the ratio was around 1:1. I always thought it was tasty, and I also got that cheesy flavor when added on top of steamed vegetables. Ran out a while ago, and forgot to buy another container.

Comment

Working...
                      X