RE: Arg....nuts are gonna have to go :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: Arg....nuts are gonna have to go :(

Lately I have been having problems with stomach pains. I am pretty sure that it is caused by eating nuts. I am going to need to give them up for a while . I find this a little stressful. I don't eat eggs, dairy, or nightshades. I hate to give up my easy convenience food.

Anyone develop stomach issues from eating nuts? If I take a break from them, any chance I'll be able to bring them back?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Loose bowels if I over-indulge in nuts.

Vitamin C will cramp me up something fierce, and also is a diuretic which gets me up at night, even in a fairly small dose.

Comment

If you're really against giving them up, try soaking them first. That should definitely help w/any stomach issues.
      $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

Jammies,

Which nuts are giving you problems? Many people have reactions to peanuts. Could your problem be unique to peanuts?

Grizz

Comment

try only nuts without skins, like blanched almonds or macadamia nuts.

Comment

I don't eat peanuts - it has mostly been macadamia nuts and cashews. My stomach is really irritated though. I am going to give it a few days rest and then may try the soaking and resting.

When I let myself get super hungry because of lack or preparation/planning, nuts are a convenient meal/snack that keep me from just grabbing the closes non-primal food. I hope that soaking and drying them will help. Thanks for the suggestions!!
            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Not sure about the nuts causing problems - how many are you eating per day?

Why don't you eat eggs and dairy - stomach issues? I know that dairy is one of those things some do on primal and others don't. Personally, I still eat dairy (not a ton - a serving of cottage cheese every day, and cheese a couple of days a week) and it does not seem to be causing any issues as far as fat loss is concerned for me. I eat almonds, usually only a serving per day. Have you tried almond butter? That could be a convenient snack that may not cause issues.

Comment

I thought macadamias were on the list NourishedEm posted in this thread of nuts that didn't need soaking. Cashews appear to need a short soak, though.

Comment

jammies,

I'm the exact same way. Eating nuts kills my stomach--like I just ate pins or daggers. I don't eat nightshades either (especially tomatoes), and I don't consume fruit or milk. I've recently reduces my cheese intake as well.

The problem I found going primal was that by cutting out grains completely, I substituted with more nuts, vegetables, and cheese and other foods. I'm finding these increased amounts to be excessive--even over a year of being primal.

I've actually re introduced very small amount of grains (e.g. rye bread and/or rice every few days) so I don't have to eat so much of the other things, and it's been working out better for me.

But nuts were the real killer for me--more than grains ever were.

Anyway, the bigger issue I think is PUFAs, not grains (although the two together in a deep fryer is the worst). So giving up nuts ain't so bad.

Comment

I have problems eating nuts as well, for me one oz isn't enough and I had to give them up. Every once in a while I crave them and have a few, then I get the heck away from them.
                    http://paleomiddleeastern.blog.com/

Comment

As far as eating nuts/seeds goes, here's my take on it:

Sprouted (best) --> soaked (good) --> no nuts/seeds at all --> roasted/cooked (okay) --> raw, unprocessed (bad)

Of course, if you're eating them in tiny amounts (i.e. five or six as garnish in salads, etc), they probably will not cause any harm. I suggest you take them out of your diet for a week or two and then reintroduce soaked nuts. Most nuts and seeds require around seven hours of soaking (more is usually okay); the best way to do this is place a few handfuls in a bowl of lukewarm spring water, add about 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt, and let them soak overnight at room temperature.

You mentioned that you like eating cashews -- these need to be soaked for NO MORE than six hours. If you leave them to soak longer, they'll develop a really nasty taste and slimy texture. I've also found that out of all nuts and seeds, raw cashews seem to tear up my stomach more than any other. It's been a while since I soaked some cashews, but from what I remember, the soaking process solved that problem. Might be different for you!

Comment

Walnuts gives me bad stomache cramps.

Comment

Working...
                        X