Actively avoid ketosis?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actively avoid ketosis?

Do you actively avoid (or try to achieve) ketosis? If so, what is your reason?

I tracked for the first time, and came to realize it is easy to slip below 10% carbs just eating eggs, meat, and veggies. I've been reading some of Kurt Harris' stuff (paleonu.com), and he has a few posts on ketosis which I sort of understand. He now avoids ketosis by eating 20% carbs, but I am curious what others are doing!

I don't worry about it. I came here from Atkins (by the book, not the product line, don't get me started) so I don't consider ketosis to be a problem.

Comment

Why would you want to avoid ketosis? Ketosis is GOOD.
      Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Ketosis makes my pee smell funny..

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_o View Post
          Ketosis makes my pee smell funny..
          Ketosis leaves a funny taste in my mouth. Only asparagus makes my pee smell funny. But I don't try to avoid either of them.

Comment

Hell I'm around 5% energy from carbs and totally happy right there. That's even with heavy weight lifting every other day and a brisk walk at least 5 times a week. I keep at it because I love the long lasting energy that ketosis provides and because it means I'll never have to worry about my blood sugar again (yay!)
            "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
            -J.Stanton

Comment

Iirc, he's avoiding ketosis now mostly b/c he massively upped his physical activity, appetite did not increase and he was loosing weight. There sugar are benefits to ketosis (ie fasting) and it's wroth it to go there a couple times a week for the autophagy and mitochonidrial energy production boost. (see one of E Deans recent blog posts on evolutionarypsychiatry).

It's probably good to visit ketosis regularly but not live there and never leave it, yk? Variation is good for us.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I find I usually slip into ketosis (at least from the taste in my mouth) during workouts, but I generally eat shortly after, which may or may not knock me straight out. Would there be benefit delaying the meal or at least having a VLC meal so I stayed in ketosis longer?
                Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                  Iirc, he's avoiding ketosis now mostly b/c he massively upped his physical activity, appetite did not increase and he was loosing weight. There sugar are benefits to ketosis (ie fasting) and it's wroth it to go there a couple times a week for the autophagy and mitochonidrial energy production boost. (see one of E Deans recent blog posts on evolutionarypsychiatry).

It's probably good to visit ketosis regularly but not live there and never leave it, yk? Variation is good for us.

But doesn't it take a couple of days for your body to really be in ketosis anyway? So if you spent every Monday and Wednesday, for example, eating under 30g carbs, but eating more all other days, wouldn't you have never entered ketosis? Correct me if I'm wrong.
                  I don't own a scale and don't care to!

Comment

I don't really worry about it... I try to stay under 100g carbs a day but not necessarily under 50, although I think some days it is under 50g. I suppose, though, that if I did stick to ketosis I would lose weight faster, but right now I'm having some trouble eating just meat and vegetables, and it would be hard for me to stick to this plan without fruit (in the form of berries).

Comment

I don't try to avoid it, but I don't try to achieve it either. I eat a diet centered on meat and non-starchy veggies. Add in some sweet potato or squash a couple times a week and IF about 16 hours a day most days. If ketosis happens, it happens. If not, it doesn't. I probably average 50-100 g/carbs per day most days.
                      Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                        This is pretty much what I've concluded at this point too. The longer I've been eating this way, the easier it seems for my body to shift between glucose and fat for fuel, which is a pretty handy adaptation!
                        The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Thanks for replying everyone! I am currently focused trying to figure out the optimal diet for (most importantly) increased mental performance and (secondarily) muscle development. In reading Kurt Harris' ketosis blogs, purposefully avoiding ketosis seemed like a good idea because of this statement regarding ketosis from Kurt:

"It is developed to spare our structural proteins and conserve precious glucose for the brain, whether it is "stressful" or not. It certainly involves extra metabolic work. The fact that this happens only when we deprive our bodies of dietary glucose suggests it is stressful. It happens to spare our glycogen - the body is detecting that the glucose reserves are threatened. And it either spares our own muscle or reduces our demand for extra dietary protein to turn into glucose."

From your responses, I am guessing that no one has found "metabolic stress" associated with switching in and out of ketosis to affect them mentally. cillakat, thanks for the lead over to Evolutionary Psychiatry! The content of the post there is convincing enough to purposefully dip into ketosis (but through intermittent fasting seems to be the optimal way.) peril, to promote autophagy, it seems you would need to skip breakfast (or do some other type of fast) - and it was speculated in the comments of the blog post that it should actually be intermittent, not daily, because your body will adjust.

Comment

Originally posted by shrona View Post
                            Thanks for replying everyone! I am currently focused trying to figure out the optimal diet for (most importantly) increased mental performance and (secondarily) muscle development. In reading Kurt Harris' ketosis blogs, purposefully avoiding ketosis seemed like a good idea because of this statement regarding ketosis from Kurt:

"It is developed to spare our structural proteins and conserve precious glucose for the brain, whether it is "stressful" or not. It certainly involves extra metabolic work. The fact that this happens only when we deprive our bodies of dietary glucose suggests it is stressful. It happens to spare our glycogen - the body is detecting that the glucose reserves are threatened. And it either spares our own muscle or reduces our demand for extra dietary protein to turn into glucose."

From your responses, I am guessing that no one has found "metabolic stress" associated with switching in and out of ketosis to affect them mentally. cillakat, thanks for the lead over to Evolutionary Psychiatry! The content of the post there is convincing enough to purposefully dip into ketosis (but through intermittent fasting seems to be the optimal way.) peril, to promote autophagy, it seems you would need to skip breakfast (or do some other type of fast) - and it was speculated in the comments of the blog post that it should actually be intermittent, not daily, because your body will adjust.
                            keep in mind that some level of stress is *good* - it's not all bad. Kurt is a big fan of ketosis and variability.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I'm with cilla and theholla here: I am slipping in and out of it, by design.
                              "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Working...
                              X