Feeling hungry all the time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling hungry all the time

I have started working out last week. I have added walking and am adding in body weight exercises tomorrow and sprinting on Friday. I have noticed a definite increase in appetite. I'm 5'5" 210 and female with a large frame. Today I ate more carbs then usual. Yesterday was more indicative to what I eat carb wise.
    Last edited by geostump; 02-23-2011, 06:02 PM.
    Georgette

Georgette~ That link doesn't work, unfortunately...

Suggest you eat more fat instead of carbs to curb your cravings.
    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Fark!!!! Ok, I'll post it here. Stupid internet

Yesterday I ate 1,554 cals, 102.3g fat, 46.6g carbs and 116.1g proteins.

Today 2,198 cals, 136.6g fat, 92.6g carbs(darn red potatoes), 144.5g protein
      Georgette

Comment

Here's me today:
        1,401 cal, 164.9 g fat, 23.1 g carb, 72.6 g protein. Not hungry all the time--especially after I dropped sugar completely & got my carbs back down under 30.

Sugar/chocolate really induce carb cravings in me and more carbs = more calories = less fat loss for me.

I don't eat starchy carbs (anymore!) and I do intense LHT 20 min 2 x/week, walk 5-7 hours/week and do dance sprints once a week. Feeling like my body is more keto-adapted now, after 2 months of vlc.
        Last edited by Dragonfly; 02-23-2011, 06:18 PM. Reason: correction to FitDay stats

Comment

I'm losing because I've lost 15 lbs in 5 weeks. I'm just concerned because even after I eat lunch, my stomach can start growling. I don't get carb cravings anymore. I know my fat is pretty good and my protein is good. I also think my carbs are good with the exception of today. I'm just trying to figure out why in the hell I'm hungry.
          Georgette

Comment

How do you keep carbs so low?
            Georgette

Comment

It's something we see on this forum a lot, but so far I'm finding it to be true for me: eating more fat curbs my hunger better. I remembered that one of my favorite restaurants in Dayton put a big pat of butter atop their steaks, so I've started doing that. It is so delicious. In addition to olive and coconut oil, I'll toss in some flavorful sesame oil at times. Yummmmm.

Last thing: our body's signals for thirst and hunger overlap quite a bit—thirst can actually present as hunger. With your increased activity, you might be needing more water. If you're feeling hungry and think you shouldn't be needing food, try drinking 4–8 ounces of water (with a slice of lemon in it if you prefer). If you're still hungry 20 minutes or so later, it's probably genuine hunger.
              “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

Comment

I'd still try to get your fat percentage up to 70%. It's made a big difference for me in terms of satiety.

Comment

Originally posted by geostump View Post
                  I'm just trying to figure out why in the hell I'm hungry.
                  Because exercise/activity makes you hungry. Being active is generally referred to as "working up an appetite" unless it's "exercise"...and then for some reason, that sort of activity isn't supposed to make us hungrier (but it does). It's one point I think Gary Taubes makes really well in his book. My hunger is direction proportional to my activity level...but there is usually a delayed reaction of several days...I'm guessing once my reserves start getting low, my body starts sending out the hunger/food seeking signals.

maybe people who are super fat adapted don't experience that, but I sure do. I increase/decrease my carbs with my activity level as well. If I'm in sloth mode, probably 50g/day. Active-to-very active and I get closer to 100-150/day.
                  Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Originally posted by geostump View Post
                    How do you keep carbs so low?
                    1. I count net carbs (minus fiber.)
                    2. I mostly eat leafy greens & other lower carb veggies--and not too many--more like 1-1.5 cup total per day.
                    3. Most of the dairy I eat is hard cheese.
                    4. No sugar/fruit/nuts.

Comment

How do you get your fat up to 70% This is where me and math go all googly eyed.
                      Georgette

Comment

Read my FitDay journal. Link in my siggy. Scroll down to the pie chart.

Comment

What would you do to increase fat intake. I try not to eat too much dairy but it doesn't bother me.
                          Georgette

Comment

I usually eat 2 TBSP of butter a day, one in my morning eggs and one on top of my vegetables. Avocados are yummy. Sour cream really works for me! Add coconut oil or lard to lean meats. Cheese if you can tolerate it. Yup, dairy is my friend!

Comment

I've entered my foods through lunch today on fitday and it's showing me at 65% for fat through lunch. I cooked my eggs this morning in the fat from my bacon that I cooked. I have a tbsp of coconut oil in my coffee. I really do not like coconut milk. I did put some HWC in eggs as well. I also have a tbsp of butter on my veggies and another one on my chicken at lunch.
                              Georgette

Comment

Working...
                              X