Salad Dressing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salad Dressing

I have been primal for about 1 1/2 weeks now...I have always loved salads, so that is something I really like about primal. I usually use raspberry vinagrette on them, but I know that commercial versions have sugar and other bad things. Is there a way to make flavored vinagrettes like that? I have seen suggestions of just olice oil on salads, but right now that is too heavy & oily for my tastes. Thanks!

I make many kinds of vinaigrettes by just mixing a little EVOO and vinegar (sometimes white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, rice wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar). Putting in something to help emulsify the oil & vinegar is good - like a dab of dijon mustard or even a dab of sour cream if you want it a little creamier. Then just add whatever seasonings sound good. Sometimes I do more of a southwest seasoning with some chile powder or smoky paprika. Sometimes I use my Greek seasoning mix. Sometimes it's just dried basil and salt/pepper. I also sometimes add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice if I have it on hand.

Really I just wing it every time and go by taste and what sounds good. If I'm making a salad to have with dinner for my family, I try to mix up the vinaigrette and let it sit for a little bit while I make the other things and before I toss the salad. Having a little time (even just 10 or 15 minutes) for the ingredients to blend makes a nice difference.

Comment

You could make your own raspberry dressing using raspberry vinegar, oil and stevia.

Comment

I've found rasp. vinegar is SUPER sour, which is prob. why those dressings are so sugary. (I've never tried stevia though--will totally do that!) You could also use real raspberries, add them to a blender w/ vinegar and oils of your choice along w/ some herbs/salt and pepper.

Good luck! I may play around w/ this soon and if I figure anything delcious out I'll post!
        My Before/After Pics
        Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Puree raspberries, add to walnut or other mild oil, add a little balsamic or cider vinegar, shake, and pour. Add a tetch of honey if absolutely needed, but I doubt you'll need it.
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
          My Latest Journal

Comment

I use Good Seasons Italian Dressing mix right now. It is the seasoning packet and then you add olive oil and vinegar. Sometimes I'll add a balsamic vinegar to it too. It has 8 g carbs per packet.

Comment

Just remember, any dressing you make ahead of time has to live in the fridge. Even though vinegar and oil can be happy outside of the fridge when separate, as I understand it it becomes more bacteria-friendly once they're mixed.
              "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Here are a couple of my favorites.

Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette

3 cloves garlic
                1 tbsp ginger
                2 bunches cilantro
                1/2 cup fresh lime juice
                1 1/2 tsp wine vinegar or ACV
                3/4 tsp ground cumin (a bit less if you grind it fresh)
                3/4 cup olive oil
                salt and pepper to taste

I find this one does especially well in the food processor, because it really breaks down the cilantro. I process the cilantro with the garlic and ginger, add the vinegar and lime juice, and then slowly add the oil. This one is also good with 1/2 cup of a nice parm added, if you do dairy. The amounts are approximate, so you may have to play around with it to reach your idea acid level.

Sesame Ginger Vinaigrette

1/3 cup rice wine vin, white wine vin, or ACV
                2/3 cup olive oil
                1 tsp sesame oil
                1 tbsp tahini
                1 tbsp grated ginger
                2 cloves garlic, minced
                salt to taste

Just combine ingredients and shake the beejezus out of it.
                For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

I've been enjoying olive oil + lime/lemon juice + S&P on salads, especially if they have fattier additions like bacon or avocado. The citrus helps cut the fat.

Yesterday I made a salad with bacon, greens, raisins, and pumpkin seeds and a dressing taken from Mark's PBC: mayo, bit o' honey, and apple cider vinegar. It was awesome.
                  The Paleo Periodical
                  It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Comment

Working...
                  X