No announcement yet.

Question for women about PMS, cravings, and hunger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes to the cravings around ovulation. I try to eat a ton of protein and fat rather than sweet/carbs. Yes to the bowel thing when Aunt Flo arrives lol

But what's with the sore breasts at ovulation? This didn't used to happen to me. Is it a getting older thing? I'm 39.

Comment

Originally posted by mozzy10 View Post

But what's with the sore breasts at ovulation? This didn't used to happen to me. Is it a getting older thing? I'm 39.
      OMG - thats something I got last time and it was NOT ususal for me. We are talking "yelp out loud if brushed against" sore. i wonder - are our hormones "resetting" somehow?? My flow was HEAVY, the PMS more marked, I had sore boobs - and a wicked upset stomach. More like when i was 16 to be honest than an ageing thing?

Comment

My problem with PMS is not only do I have the hollow tube dont feel full thing...I dont crave anything. I am not particularly craving carbs. The only thing I seem to crave is diet coke (?). I eat more chocolate, but I think in a "because it is there and nothing else is satisfying me" kind of way. I dont think I would run to the store to get some. And I lose all interest in meat. The thought of meat is bleeeech. Eggs are kind of bleeech too.

I realised that while I never "crave cereal" or other carbs (I was more of a southbeach style prior to PB) I would EAT lots of carbs around PMS because it was just easier. I'm hungry, nothing sounds good, why would I go to the EFFORT of making a beautiful omelet that I am going to go blah in about 3 minutes and probably not finish (or feel slightly queasy if I do...fat and proteins make me queasy during PMS) when in 35 seconds I could polish off a bowl of cereal or a slice of pizza or...whatever is easy.

And then once I start eating the carbs then I dont stop. Even though I dont crave them or like them.

But seriously....I think I am getting my period again and I just had it 2 weeks ago. Perimenopause sucks.
        MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

yes, same symptoms. i tend to just eat a bit more fruit and/or sweet potato.

Comment

Me to horsewomen, I had the same exact thing yesterday and I was double bent over in pain at the shops. It feels like my belly button is being pulled painfully from the inside. I then had upset tummy for rest of evening but it has subsided today. I have woken up super hungry today and for the first time in like 5 months don't feel like anything primal, I just want a bowl of oats!
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45312.html[SIGPIC]

Comment

ok - heres my comment for today. After everything I said, after all my planning for Madam PMS - I got up - my period started. No fanfare - nothing. No PMS. I have HEAVY flow already and period pains, but thats it.

I am shocked.

this is a dumb question - but my periods have never been what you would call "regular". Is 23 days between "beginnings" normal?? I thought it should be 28? frombeginning of one to beginning of another?

Comment

Mine is usually 28 days but this time was 12 days late. I am sure that is from stress on my end.

Considering that this is a new change for you, and a BIG one, I would say give your body time to adjust.

I don't have cravings anymore, used to be salt in the form of chips. If I crave anything now it is red wine and sex. LOL

Comment

my husband will be a happy man if what i crave is red wine and sex - in any order!

Thhis is only my 4th period since really going Primal - you're right, I'll just wait and see for the next few months.

Comment

Originally posted by Nix View Post
                    One of my problems is that I can't make any "primal treats". The ingredients are just non-existent where I live. Like I can't buy almond flour. I am getting coconut oil mailed to me currently. There are no "nut butters". I have a hard enough time trying to find chocolate that is over 50%. I have like the bare min. :S
                    I don't know where you live, I'm guessing a rural community somewhere. If you can find even one or two like-minded folks in your area you could start a buying club. You could share cases of products and it would be a lot cheaper and you would share shipping costs. Even just ask your non-primal friends if they want to share a case of really good dark chocolate. Shouldn't be a hard sell really.

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post

this is a dumb question - but my periods have never been what you would call "regular". Is 23 days between "beginnings" normal?? I thought it should be 28? frombeginning of one to beginning of another?
                      It's my understanding that 28 days is the average length of the menstrual cycle. I think this means that if you take a good sample of women, add up the number of days of their menstrual cycle and divide it by the number of women in the sample you would get an average of 28. So I'm pretty sure you're normal, and so am I at 32-34 days.

Comment

OK....I am now dealing with my 3rd primal period. WTH? I have NEVER struggled with PMS. The only symptom has been maybe my run gets a little sluggish. (or apparently sluttish since my finger slipped up a row while typing). But on primal I have killer headaches for 3 days followed by nausea followed by CRUSHING fatigue. Like cant drag my ass out of bed as far as the couch.

Something has got to change.
                        MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

I get wicked PMS.. mood swings, severe bloat and cramps, and insatiable hunger. I just Need. Food. Constantly. And as someone mentioned earlier, nothing in particular sounds good, but carbs satisfy me more than protein/fat at this time.

I have no solution; I give into my cravings because it feels absolutely impossible to do so. I've read about the standard supplements (L-glutamine, chromium, magnesium) for cravings, so want to try those.

Comment

I had the "hollow tube effect" hunger and "moody bitch" PMS the first 4 periods fully primal. Last one (on whole30) - NO PMS, just period arrived 6 days early, was incredibly heavy at first and lasted 11 days!!!!! I am still knackered now!!

I had a plan for PMS involving extra primal carbs and fat - thats still waiting for this time, whenever the hell that is.

Definitely something screwy going on - I can only guess hormones being reset/altered

Comment

this is intended to prepare the body for pregnancy and towards that end, elevated progesterone levels are known to increase hunger and sugar cravings, and also to increase insulin resistance, thereby increasing fat storage. I have been so hungry and also gained 1 1/2 kgs which does worry me as my scale weight usually stays the same.
                              car MP3 Player

MP3 Player

Comment

To clarify the constipation/loose stool issue - progesterone slows down the contraction of smooth muscle. The uterus is smooth muscle. Higher levels of progesterone after ovulation (and during pregnancy) prevents the uterus from getting irritated and expelling a newly implanted egg through uterine contractions. ONly problem is, intestines and the colon are smooth muscle also and they are equally affected by the chemical "slow down and relax" signal that progesterone is putting out. Instead of movng their contents along at a nice clip, they get sluggish and we get constipated. Which is why many women are constipated throughout pregnancy because progesterone stays high to prevent miscarriage.

When no pregnancy occurs, the progesterone levels drop, and the body ups the chemical messengers that signal the smooth muscle to start contracting and expell that decaying, useless uterine buildup. And you guessed it, that causes menstrual cramping AND loose, frequent stools from extra active intestines. You can monitor what your progesterone levels are doing by the frequency and consistency of your bowel movements.

For people who have experienced periods with none of the symptoms of a rise in progesterone beforehand - such as increased hunger, sugar cravings, and a tendency to constipation - you probably had a cycle where you did not ovulate at all, which is particularly common the closer you are to menopause.

Comment

Working...
                                X