Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for women about PMS, cravings, and hunger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
    Yes.
    Yes. And I get constipated when I am ovulating. Though didn't notice it as much this month interestingly.

    Ovulation baffles me. I don't know how it is conducive to conception to have ovulation pains and stomach cramps! That day is the one where I say sorry, too sore lol.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

    Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

    Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

    "Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

    Comment


    • #17
      for what its worth ME TOO all round. Its happened every month since going Primal (maybe it happened before too but I wasn't as "in tune" with myself - and bingeing was a regular occurence). I am approaching my 4th period whilst being Primal and feel a mixture of prepared for the PMS and terrified of it!! I know I am going to feel like a hollow tube, nothing touches the sides!! (and WEARY! working out becomes much harder)
      Plan is - more food, up my carbs (which i have been keeping very low), eat fats and protein and wait it out - knowing it stops quite abruptly helps I think. I also need to plan to keep busy - or the devil will get hold of my idle hands and fill them with sugary evil!!

      Also notice changes in my bowels - but tend to get constipated more than anything. guess we vary in symptoms - but it sounds like we all have the same thing!

      Comment


      • #18
        As soon as PMS hits I don't even go on or near a scale. Blech. Mine started Monday and will last for over a week. I've tred for my sweet to add fruit after dinner. Just keep up with the protien and then helps the munchies.

        Down over 20lbs now, so you can do it!

        julia
        Julia
        Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
        Started Primal Mid January 2011
        Current Weight 183
        Goal 160



        Get Outside Already!

        http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
        http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by imasin View Post
          yeah I've noticed that I am hungrier and need more sleep when I'm having my period, and sometimes in the week leading up to it.

          Does anyone else have a higher incidence of diarrhea/looser stools during their period?
          I just wrote in my journal that it might be a little bit TMI, but I often know I am having PMS because of constipation, but what I failed to mention is that it clears itself up once I start my period. So the short answer to your question is "Yes."

          Funny how we are all so comfortable sharing this sort of information here! :-)
          Everything I eat has been proved by some doctor or other to be a deadly poison, and everything I don't eat has been proved to be indispensable for life. But I go marching on. ~George Bernard Shaw

          Starting Weight (1/3/2011): 189
          Current Weight: 173

          Goal: To be in the best shape ever by age 50! (5/11/2012)

          Comment


          • #20
            I just got off birth control ( about one month) this, currently, is my first period since being hormone free and my hormones are crazy. I seriously think I ate around 4,000cal (+) today. I usually eat under 1500cal a day. The cravings are horrible, I have no energy, bloated, mood swings, basically the whole nine yards. To an extend we are victims of our hormones. Given everything that is happening in my life plus the hormones etc. I figure I better just eat the sugar/grains and not feel like I am starving, constantly looking for something I can't find, and super grouchy. The alternative is going to jail for a mass killing spree.

            Usually I feel really hungry around my period but its controllable. I don't feel too guilty about eating that extra piece of chocolate because we do loose a lot of vital nutrients through, well, the "process". But yeah, this is the worst cravings I have ever felt in my life this week. The other funny thing is that I haven't been feeling full. I have been eating, but not to the point I feel uncomfortable. I just don't feel full... 4000 cal later... still not full. I'm ok. I don't think I will eat more, but I don't feel full.

            I picked the worse week in History to try and go primal. I made it a total of 4 days then well above happened. Going to try not to sweat it. Tomorrow is another day, and the cravings are getting better.
            Height: 5'2"
            Starting weight: 180lbs
            Current weight 130lbs

            Comment


            • #21
              Another "me, too!" on all accounts - but how do you guys ride out the sugar cravings? I've just gotten off a 4-day sugar bender that came on all of the sudden, spiraled out of control, and then suddenly last night, I felt like eating Primal again. I tried eating more fat and protein, but I just didn't want those foods - I wanted carbs. I was thinking if I gave in, the craving would go away, but of course, it just got worse. I don't want to even think about the number of calories I've put away, trying to keep the fat and protein up in an effort to pull myself out of the spiral, but still not wanting to stay away from the carbs.

              This was my second cycle since going fully Primal - the first month I did have some sugar cravings, but more easily managed.
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread51572.html

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Nix View Post
                I just got off birth control ( about one month) this, currently, is my first period since being hormone free and my hormones are crazy. I seriously think I ate around 4,000cal (+) today. I usually eat under 1500cal a day. The cravings are horrible, I have no energy, bloated, mood swings, basically the whole nine yards. To an extend we are victims of our hormones. Given everything that is happening in my life plus the hormones etc. I figure I better just eat the sugar/grains and not feel like I am starving, constantly looking for something I can't find, and super grouchy. The alternative is going to jail for a mass killing spree.

                Usually I feel really hungry around my period but its controllable. I don't feel too guilty about eating that extra piece of chocolate because we do loose a lot of vital nutrients through, well, the "process". But yeah, this is the worst cravings I have ever felt in my life this week. The other funny thing is that I haven't been feeling full. I have been eating, but not to the point I feel uncomfortable. I just don't feel full... 4000 cal later... still not full. I'm ok. I don't think I will eat more, but I don't feel full.

                I picked the worse week in History to try and go primal. I made it a total of 4 days then well above happened. Going to try not to sweat it. Tomorrow is another day, and the cravings are getting better.
                the "hollow tube" effect!!

                I know its hard, but you really will feel better if you eat just primal treats - no guilt at all and no "sugar hangover' on top of everything else. After all, those of us who do go thru this will have it every month, and thats just not long enough between "off primal" weeks to ever get the full effects of being primal??

                Hang in there - next month may well be better as you will have been off those hormones in the birth control for a bit longer.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Tawny View Post
                  Another "me, too!" on all accounts - but how do you guys ride out the sugar cravings? I've just gotten off a 4-day sugar bender that came on all of the sudden, spiraled out of control, and then suddenly last night, I felt like eating Primal again. I tried eating more fat and protein, but I just didn't want those foods - I wanted carbs. I was thinking if I gave in, the craving would go away, but of course, it just got worse. I don't want to even think about the number of calories I've put away, trying to keep the fat and protein up in an effort to pull myself out of the spiral, but still not wanting to stay away from the carbs.

                  This was my second cycle since going fully Primal - the first month I did have some sugar cravings, but more easily managed.
                  all I can think is "more primal carbs" and fat - preferably together. Never mind calories. Just eat good stuff. (berries and cream, sweet potatoes and butter - and for those of us off dairy at the mo - root veggies and sweet potatoes roated with lots of fat til caramelised). If we absolutely cannot resist carbs, then eating what we don't want (and then still having what we do) has to simply increase calorie intake. Not that I ever ever count them any more but you know what i mean.

                  BTW girls - any more dairy free ideas for primal carbing welcome from me as PMS will be due to get me in the next few days!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by denise View Post
                    the "hollow tube" effect!!

                    I know its hard, but you really will feel better if you eat just primal treats - no guilt at all and no "sugar hangover' on top of everything else. After all, those of us who do go thru this will have it every month, and thats just not long enough between "off primal" weeks to ever get the full effects of being primal??

                    Hang in there - next month may well be better as you will have been off those hormones in the birth control for a bit longer.
                    One of my problems is that I can't make any "primal treats". The ingredients are just non-existent where I live. Like I can't buy almond flour. I am getting coconut oil mailed to me currently. There are no "nut butters". I have a hard enough time trying to find chocolate that is over 50%. I have like the bare min. :S
                    Height: 5'2"
                    Starting weight: 180lbs
                    Current weight 130lbs

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Nix View Post
                      One of my problems is that I can't make any "primal treats". The ingredients are just non-existent where I live. Like I can't buy almond flour. I am getting coconut oil mailed to me currently. There are no "nut butters". I have a hard enough time trying to find chocolate that is over 50%. I have like the bare min. :S
                      ok, let me see. Frozen berries instead of fresh (and they make the cream like ice cream. Divine). The sweet potatoes with butter and a bit of aged chees - or even soured cream, or baked with the coconut oil when it comes. Thick cream whipped with a bit of no sugar cocoa and even stevia or honey ( a bbit). flaxbread with 85% choc and dates (i no longer make this as both husband and I can eat far too much of it - but believe me on its own or as a base for a Primal black forest gateau its wonderful). As you can see I have no probs being creative with dairy. Now without dairy is harder - and I'm on day 20 of whole 30 too so no *%% either. this one will be a doozy

                      Think of something sweet/carby you CAN have - there have to be alternatives to the "bad stuff".

                      One "tough love" comment coming - look away if easily offended

                      Be very sure you are not using the PMS etc as a "damn good excuse" to have what you crave!!! Cos in that case an excuse it what it is.

                      Just saying - for my own benefit as much as yours

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Horsewoman View Post
                        Yes. And I get constipated when I am ovulating. Though didn't notice it as much this month interestingly.

                        Ovulation baffles me. I don't know how it is conducive to conception to have ovulation pains and stomach cramps! That day is the one where I say sorry, too sore lol.
                        That is funny, HorseWoman, because ovulation is the one time of the month when, like, even doorknobs look sexy to me.
                        "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          +1 to more good Primal food , more fat and I add things that I don't normally eat like sweet potatoes with dinner.

                          That said, I still binged three times during my PMS week. So, I am reading The Mood Cure by Julia Ross and have started supplementing with 5htp and l-tyrosine. I will know in about three weeks if these amino acids make any difference for me.
                          Last edited by Pebbles67; 02-27-2011, 04:46 PM.
                          Primal since 9/24/2010
                          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

                          Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                            +1 to more good Primal food , more fat and I add things that I don't normally eat like sweet potatoes with dinner.

                            That said, I still binged three times during my PMS week. So, I am reading The Mood Cure by Julia Ross and have started supplementing with 5htp and l-tyrosine. I will know in aout three weeks if these amino acids make any difference for me.
                            i bought 5htp too and plan to try it out this time - I already take tyrosine most days (when working out) and it MAY have helped as I haven't wanted to binge.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by denise View Post
                              One "tough love" comment coming - look away if easily offended

                              Be very sure you are not using the PMS etc as a "damn good excuse" to have what you crave!!! Cos in that case an excuse it what it is.

                              Just saying - for my own benefit as much as yours
                              Yeah, I think this is part of it for me

                              After my last post, I've been doing some research and have come to the conclusion that's it's probably a drop in estrogen that's causing my cravings. Knowing that, increasing good carbs, and not using the cravings as an excuse should help - at least that's my plan for next month.
                              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread51572.html

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                                That is funny, HorseWoman, because ovulation is the one time of the month when, like, even doorknobs look sexy to me.
                                Oh, well everything looks sexy lol, but the day of ovulation am just too sore to do anything about it! I swear I can feel the moment the egg busts it's way our, it gets gradually more sore until it reaches a peak for about half an hour, then settles to a residual discomfort that goes after a day or so.
                                Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

                                Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

                                Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

                                "Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                                Harold Whitman

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X