X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuts and Coffee

"COFFEE is insulinogenic?
    "nuts are inflammatory"

I was just searching to find the common consensus on coffee and nuts and I read those two statements on the forum.
    My question is, have you guys had better success when keeping nuts and/or coffee or better results when you cut them?
    Are nuts really inflammatory? Does coffee inhibit weight loss? Have either of those questions come closer to an answer? The posts I was reading on it were pretty old.

Idk about all that, I would say that nuts are the ones that inhibit weight loss--at least in me, though I've heard it from many others. That's all I got right now bro, lo siento.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
    --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
    --Hyperlithic

Comment

Coffee is full of thermogenic goodness and tastes great. Drink it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7...m&ordinalpos=5

Comment

There was a point in my life where I tried giving up coffee because of a few things I read. Then I realized in general...it's one of those things that falls into the "ok in moderation" column. I used to down way too much of the damn stuff and if I didn't have it, my skin would turn green and all of a sudden I'd be wearing torn purple pants. It was crazy. Now, I probably enjoy maybe a cup (about a small to med) every day. I generally drink it in the morning and just use it as my rev up to start the day.

And nuts...I've heard the range of people say that they have had a hard time losing on them. They haven't really hindered me all that much. There will be days when I eat a cup of "primal granola"...and then there will be weeks I don't eat any. All depends, but I haven't had really any negatives on the days I consume them.

Comment

I have had both everyday since I started this way of life about 3 months ago, i've lost fat, gained muscle and have never felt better. I'm eating more almond butter than nuts these days, and I probably eat more than most on the forum suggest, but I love the taste and the results are great.

Comment

Only thing wrong with nuts is that they're sorta like fruits where its really easy to overdo it. Especially because most of em come de-shelled so you can just grab a handful and then BAM 160calories.

And macadamia nuts are the WORST for that...they're so delicous and good, but one bottle of em is 1400cals, and i can eat a ton of em...

Comment

My indulgences on the paleo diet are both coffee and nuts. Nuts should be consumed in moderation if you are trying to lose weight and to keep your O3:06 ratio low. If you are looking for the best nut options (in terms of low omega 6) try to stick to macadamia, almonds and walnuts and steer clear of peanuts. But if your diet is otherwise clean then I would think moderate consumption of coffee and nuts isn't too bad at all.
              "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

And macadamia nuts are the WORST for that...they're so delicous and good, but one bottle of em is 1400cals, and i can eat a ton of em...[/QUOTE]
                Amen to that. Just bought a lil container and I cant stop eating them!!!!!!

Comment

Nuts have omega 6, aka linoleic acid, which is quite proinflammatory.

Comment

You really should soak the nuts in sea salted water overnight and then dry in a food dryer or very low oven (170-200 degrees) for another 8 to 10hrs to get rid of the phytates. Makes them really taste great. See Sally Fallon's"Nourishing Traditions" or go to the Weston Price foundation website and look them up.
                    http://www.westonaprice.org

They are called Crispy Nuts. mmhmm

Comment

No Problem for Me

I've been eating a lot of nuts and drinking coffee daily since I started. I eat a good amount of almonds every day and drink 2 to 3 cups of coffee. It's been about 3 weeks and I've lost 16 lbs. I feel great and the weight is coming off.

Comment

Macadamias are veerrrry nice, I have discovered since trying them after Mark recommended them. I now only buy the 100g packets, not the 300g one (especially as it's 5 a packet and I eat the whole thing in one or two days!

With my super clean food on whole30 at the moment, I seem to be noticing wheeziness at night if I've drunk coffee that day. Trying not to notice though!
                        Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                        Harold Whitman

Comment

I am a heavy coffee drinker and I went off it for well over a month, recently, just for the sake of kicking a dependency. But I didn't notice any accelerated weight loss or other difference at all. In fact, I just missed the little high I get every morning. So, I've gone back to dear coffee. I keep it at 2-4 cups a day, with none after 8AM on weekdays (weekends, thats another story...a whole pot if I feel like it and I go till about 11 or 12).

Nuts are awesome -- if you have aggressive weight loss aspirations, don't keep them around the house, thats all. But I (and others) have lost while snacking on them. Actually, at one point I was getting super skinny while having whole TJ's bags of mac nuts, so I think theres a lot more at play than just nut calories. Its not the end of the weight-loss world to enjoy them, I think.

Hard cheese, now that may be...

Comment

This is a pretty comprehensive article http://paleodietlifestyle.com/are-nu...seeds-healthy/
                            Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                            Harold Whitman

Comment

i find i cannot live without coffee, i only drink one or two cups in the morning but it really is the only way to get me going! it actually suppresses my appetite for a little bit. usually i drink it and then after i get the kids to school i come home and have bacon and eggs for breakfast. as for nuts, i love them, i eat a serving size at least every other day and i am losing weight.

Comment

Working...
                              X