Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pork Rinds

I notice my dad eating these the other day and giving them to his
    little doggies. It got me thinking so I read the bag ingredients.
    Pork skin and salt. Doesn't say fried in any bad oils. Hmm.
    Could I eat these occasionally? I know the salt is probably
    to high, but I am just talking a handful now and then.

I'm sure if a person searched the web there may be some
    good on-line sources of some ranged fed, low salt brands?

What's your thoughts?

I do, and I love em, especially with mayo and hot sauce.

I find mine at Aldi, the dollar store and Tops. Just watch the ingredients. Flavored ones have all kinds of crap added to them.

Comment

Porkrinds are awesome! We buy them whenever we can. They're quite scarce around here, and people always look at us strange when we have 1/2 dozen bags and nothing else to buy...
      You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, you get old because you stop riding.

Comment

Where does your father buy pork rinds? Where do you buy them Diana? Anyone else?

I would like to try some!
        Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Pork rinds by themselves make me gag - can't stand the smell. But I do my best to shut my nose, and I grind up a couple of bags and put them in a ziplock in the freezer. They make a fabulous "breading" for fish, chicken strips, and as a binder in things like meatloaf, fish cakes, on and on. Very good, even though I can't stand them by themslves.

Comment

Love them.

Try them with avacado & hot sauce.
            Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

Comment

I, too, get them at the Dollar Store. Can't beat it!

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
              ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
              My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
              Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Toad View Post
                Where does your father buy pork rinds? Where do you buy them Diana? Anyone else?

I would like to try some!

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                I find mine at Aldi, the dollar store and Tops.

Comment

Aldi? In the States? I thought they were only in Germany. Who knew. And I didn't think to to use ground up pork rinds as breading. Gonna try that next time with chicken strips.
                  You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, you get old because you stop riding.

Comment

Well, that settles that then. Never expected so many to answer so fast.
                    For many years the medcos instilled in my head they were bad for us.
                    But I just had a primal realization to ask about them. Thanks all.
                    And thanks for the ideas. I like the breading idea myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                      I do, and I love em, especially with mayo and hot sauce.

I find mine at Aldi, the dollar store and Tops. Just watch the ingredients. Flavored ones have all kinds of crap added to them.
                      Curious about your mayo choice.

BTW, Diana is the worlds most beautiful name...it's my mothers. Cheers!
                      Last edited by Keithallenlaw; 02-20-2011, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Just to induce envy in one and all, I have a batch in the oven right now. And the remaining 10 lbs of brined pork belly is in my smoker. *flips bird at CW*

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
                          Just to induce envy in one and all, I have a batch in the oven right now. And the remaining 10 lbs of brined pork belly is in my smoker. *flips bird at CW*
                          Arrgg! I smell them. Teaser!

Comment

How to make them

Comment

I made some chicarrones today, which is like pork rinds but with attached meat. Took a couple of pounds of pork belly and rendered the crap outta them! Delicious pork nuggets just for me! And bonus, I have some delicious pork lard to cook in. Double win! If you have any asian grocery stores near you, they usually have the nice big cuts of pork belly and they are cheaper than in the other grocery stores. Sometimes you can find just the pig skin/fat and you can make regular pork rinds. It's easier than you might think - put the skin in the bottom of a heavy pot, put enough water on to cover the skin, turn on low for several hours. The water will evaporate and the fat will render out. Obviously to have pork rinds around to snack on, this isn't the most efficient method, but it's definitely good for making lard and having the rinds as a bonus snack.

Comment

Working...
                              X