No announcement yet.

Lines in teeth caused by malnutrition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lines in teeth caused by malnutrition?

Has anyone else dealt with lines in their teeth and/or translucent/grayish tips? Is this caused by malnutrition? Is it fixable without cosmetic work?

I used to have that on occasion, but for some reason it would randomly go away. I used to brush my teeth often/hard but no longer do, maybe that's why? I also had receding gums when I did that. Now I brush them once a day and more softly and my gums are healthier, no translucent teeth, and I never have cavities. Not sure if this is the sole reason but it may be.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
    --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
    --Hyperlithic

Comment

I already brush my teeth very softly because I do have receding gums. My line and translucent tips don't come and go, though.

Comment

I brush 3 times daily and floss as well. I've not experienced or heard of that. I use both a regular brush and an Oral B Professional electric brush.

What did your dentist say?

Comment

My dentist said that my enamel had worn off and that it was normal. I'm interested to hear if anyone has had this problem and been able to correct it.

Comment

Once the enamel is gone it doesn't come back. You could get crowns or caps.

Acidy things like soda diet/regular, wine and fruit etc wear down the enamel. One should not brush for 20-30 minutes after having those as the enamel is at its weakest.
            Last edited by O_O; 02-19-2011, 12:41 PM.

Comment

its called acid erosion. It gets mentioned in ads for toothpaste as a way to sell you something - but my dentist said it is an inevitable process and irreversible. Of course, not eating sugary crap any more can't hurt it - but any acid food, including fruit, will contribute to it.

I think you just have to live with it??

Anyone know a cure - I'll be VERY interested - I do NOT want to lose my teeth (I have a genuine phobia about missing teeth and dentures and I hate how veneers look most times and how they make someone sound - all sibilant. YUK. Sorry - phobic you see.)

Comment

Originally posted by eraserheadgirl View Post
                Has anyone else dealt with lines in their teeth and/or translucent/grayish tips? Is this caused by malnutrition? Is it fixable without cosmetic work?
                and I have to add, exacerbated by bulimia!!! Stomach acid is a bitch for your teeth! One of the tell tale signs for diagnosis. I thank God mine seem to have survived well - I do have erosion but nothing "unusual" at the mo.

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
                  its called acid erosion. It gets mentioned in ads for toothpaste as a way to sell you something - but my dentist said it is an inevitable process and irreversible. Of course, not eating sugary crap any more can't hurt it - but any acid food, including fruit, will contribute to it.

I think you just have to live with it??

Anyone know a cure - I'll be VERY interested - I do NOT want to lose my teeth (I have a genuine phobia about missing teeth and dentures and I hate how veneers look most times and how they make someone sound - all sibilant. YUK. Sorry - phobic you see.)
                  I drink tons of coffee and tea (but not sugar or fruit). I don't want to lose my teeth either! Maybe there is a cure!

Comment

I was told my enamel had worn away too--why would my teeth have recovered then? Now they look strong and are thick and white, as opposed to being translucent and having spots and lines on them. It was only my two front teeth though.
                    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
                    --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
                    --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
                    --Hyperlithic

Comment

Because bacon heals everything, duh.

Comment

Do you take an ionic mineral supplement? We take Concentrace and eat a lot of gelatinous broth. Three of my children had enamel problems before doing this, but their teeth healed and have gorgeous, shiny enamel now. The two oldest ones have a bunch of permanent teeth now, too, and they are perfect in every way.

I should disclose that we don't brush or floss at all, and stopping these was the key to healing my own teeth- caries and all. My enamel is also now very thick and shiny, whereas before, it was thin, and I was getting caries. I stopped brushing and flossing three years ago. I still clean my teeth, by picking if necessary, and swishing a mouthful of living fermented veggie brine before I drink it, on days when the combination of foods I ate has left me with a film after a meal- though this is so, so rare since quitting grain. Oh, and besides intermittent keto-breath, my breath is never unhealthy (smells like less-sweet breastfed baby breath) and my gums and mouth in general always look and are, clean. Same with my children.

The mouth is one end of the gut. I don't brush 4" into the other end, so I figure it's a self-cleaning system, as long as what I put in my mouth is clean, healthy, and especially, fatty. The increase in animal fats has made our teeth even shinier and whiter than before. It also completely dissolved tartar for me. We quit grain in December, but have been eating traditional foods for almost five years- primal plus grain and dairy, so the tooth experience includes a high animal fat intake.

If I were you, I'd start taking an ionic sea minerals supp., quit brushing and flossing my teeth (use a cloth to wash them if you really must, and pick with toothpicks if necessary), increase gelatinous bone broth consumption to at least a cup of rich broth/day, and increase clean animal fat intake at least while waiting to see results. A living fermented food at every meal or a few times each day is also necessary to keep my teeth clean and shiny, but I do that anyway.

Bones are nourished, and also rot, from the inside. My teeth have no trouble dealing with lots of acidic foods/drinks, even though I consume a lot of them (citrus, living vinegars, tart wild berries, fermented veggies, etc... every day). Our teeth are supposed to have a barrier to these things; it may be "normal" to lose enamel and to have caries, but it's definitely not healthy or necessary, given proper diet, and no perpetual erosion regimens, like brushing and flossing.

I know it totally flies in the face of cw dental "care," but the best thing in my experience has been to nourish my body and let my mouth do its thing without (or with very minimal, as above) interference. Before that, I had caries, and extreme root sensitivity. After months of healing through diet and quitting the erosion actions against my teeth and gums, I have had no problems with my teeth at all. For three years, I've been able to crunch into anything, even sustain a harsh blow to my mouth that would have caused my teeth to loosen, and endure days (or weeks!) of pain, but since three yrs ago, pain resolves within minutes and my teeth stay firm in my gums. I have five active children and sometimes get hit in the mouth by flailing spoons or wooden toys, so I have many such experiences that are no big deal anymore.

Anyway, do what you like, but my personal take is that dentistry is another industry that creates the need it fills, in most (though not all) cases. Pun intended.

Comment

Originally posted by Imogen View Post
                          Do you take an ionic mineral supplement? We take Concentrace and eat a lot of gelatinous broth. Three of my children had enamel problems before doing this, but their teeth healed and have gorgeous, shiny enamel now. The two oldest ones have a bunch of permanent teeth now, too, and they are perfect in every way.

I should disclose that we don't brush or floss at all, and stopping these was the key to healing my own teeth- caries and all. My enamel is also now very thick and shiny, whereas before, it was thin, and I was getting caries. I stopped brushing and flossing three years ago. I still clean my teeth, by picking if necessary, and swishing a mouthful of living fermented veggie brine before I drink it, on days when the combination of foods I ate has left me with a film after a meal- though this is so, so rare since quitting grain. Oh, and besides intermittent keto-breath, my breath is never unhealthy (smells like less-sweet breastfed baby breath) and my gums and mouth in general always look and are, clean. Same with my children.

The mouth is one end of the gut. I don't brush 4" into the other end, so I figure it's a self-cleaning system, as long as what I put in my mouth is clean, healthy, and especially, fatty. The increase in animal fats has made our teeth even shinier and whiter than before. It also completely dissolved tartar for me. We quit grain in December, but have been eating traditional foods for almost five years- primal plus grain and dairy, so the tooth experience includes a high animal fat intake.

If I were you, I'd start taking an ionic sea minerals supp., quit brushing and flossing my teeth (use a cloth to wash them if you really must, and pick with toothpicks if necessary), increase gelatinous bone broth consumption to at least a cup of rich broth/day, and increase clean animal fat intake at least while waiting to see results. A living fermented food at every meal or a few times each day is also necessary to keep my teeth clean and shiny, but I do that anyway.

Bones are nourished, and also rot, from the inside. My teeth have no trouble dealing with lots of acidic foods/drinks, even though I consume a lot of them (citrus, living vinegars, tart wild berries, fermented veggies, etc... every day). Our teeth are supposed to have a barrier to these things; it may be "normal" to lose enamel and to have caries, but it's definitely not healthy or necessary, given proper diet, and no perpetual erosion regimens, like brushing and flossing.

I know it totally flies in the face of cw dental "care," but the best thing in my experience has been to nourish my body and let my mouth do its thing without (or with very minimal, as above) interference. Before that, I had caries, and extreme root sensitivity. After months of healing through diet and quitting the erosion actions against my teeth and gums, I have had no problems with my teeth at all. For three years, I've been able to crunch into anything, even sustain a harsh blow to my mouth that would have caused my teeth to loosen, and endure days (or weeks!) of pain, but since three yrs ago, pain resolves within minutes and my teeth stay firm in my gums. I have five active children and sometimes get hit in the mouth by flailing spoons or wooden toys, so I have many such experiences that are no big deal anymore.

Anyway, do what you like, but my personal take is that dentistry is another industry that creates the need it fills, in most (though not all) cases. Pun intended.
                          No, I don't take that supplement. Is it easy to find? What do you mean by living fermented food? Kombucha? Where do you get fermented veggie brine? This is some interesting stuff!

Comment

Imogen, your post is so inspiring and has brought me more hope. My main reason for going primal is to try and heal my teeth, and it's great hearing from someone for whom it's been successful. Do you also eat a lot of liver? I hear that it's meant to be very beneficial for healing teeth. Unfortunately I'm not keen on it. Do you have any sugar in your diet? That's something I'm still working on cutting out, but am down to 2 tsps a day. One more question; did you manage to heal decay that went beyond the enamel? I have decay in two teeth which go beyond the enamel, and am hoping to heal them as the alternative is having half the healthy part drilled away to get to the hole. Right, I'll stop the thread hijacking now!

There is a very interesting article here http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...rsal-diet.html and of course Weston Price is good too http://journeytoforever.org/farm_lib.../pricetoc.html

Comment

Eraserheadgirl (lol, what a funny name! ), I ferment my own veggies and the brine from ferments that don't have onion or garlic in them is particularly tasty to me and my family, so we drink it when the veggies are gone, which is often a litre jar at a sitting.

The process is a simple one, even if you haven't done it before. I buy (usually from my farmer friend next door) vegetables, give them a rinse if they need it (never scrub them, only lightly rinse), chop them into pieces and cram them tightly into a mason jar up to the shoulder, which helps to keep them all down. I add about a heaping TBSP of unrefined sea salt (has only 32% sodium, so if you use sodium chloride or other saltier salt, don't use as much), then fill it with water until the water level covers the veggies, but it about an inch (or a little less) from the top. I put just the insert of a jar lid (not the ring) on top to keep dust out, but to allow gases to escape. Then I put it on the counter and walk away. Every day I push the veggies down a bit, mostly to push out the bubbles that get stuck around the veggies and overflow the brine (the salt-water-microbe solution).

This may smell unpleasant, but it is fine and as long as there are bubbles forming, and no mold on the veggies, everything's going well. The bubbles will subside and the brine will become whitish and cloudy. At this point everyone's been waiting for it, so I serve it, but I would put it into the fridge otherwise, with the ring to seal it (never seal it during the process unless you are using a basketwire closure that allows gases to escape so the bottle doesn't explode).

Yum! Kombucha is a ferment, too, but with a SCOBY (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeasts), whereas lacto-fermentation cultures with the lacto-baccili present on the surface of the vegetables (scrubbing them removes these, as does irradiation, so choose veggies that are clean and not irradiated or the process will involve slowly rotting veggies instead of crispy pleasantly sour ones).

First try no-fails are string beans and broccoli stems sliced like bread & butter pickles, but the latter is a stinky ferment during the process. I add whole peppercorns to the beans- so tasty! The beans, not the peppercorns. Taste them everyday so you get to know what's happening. They'll be fizzy for a bit, which is nice if you're doing apricot halves, but not so much with broccoli florets, in my opinion.

I order Concentrace from a shop in town, but you can find it or another ionic sea water supplement online. There are several brands. Concentrace comes from Utah.

Annana, yes, my caries were through the enamel, and they are visible even now, but thickly covered in enamel, and underneath, white. I had one of those pin-hole caries that's much bigger inside, and it's filled in naturally. The other two were surface caries and now look like dips in the surface, but are also white with thick enamel. I have two white fillings from a dentist who filled them because they were "too deep" and the "reason why my roots were so sensitive." So he drilled into thin, but not rotten bone, making a hole where there wasn't one. I wish I'd known the actual reason for the sensitivity.

I do have some sugar because I eat a few squares of Alter Eco dark chocolate nearly everyday. I also eat raw honey, but people have used raw honey to heal and clean their teeth, in spite of its sugar content. I drink green and peppermint tea everyday and have a total of a TBSP of raw honey in 2 litres of tea. I don't eat sweet fruits very often, but I do eat lemons, limes, tart berries, and occasionally tart baked apples. Overall, my carbs are incidentally between 60 and 100 grams as a maximum, so I don't eat much even overall. I have a fat-tooth, and a bitter-tooth, but no sweet tooth, lol.

I would eat liver everyday, but I don't have a source for that much. I haven't eaten as much organ meat as I'd like, and only started eating it in the last year semi-consistently. Previously, I'd eat it maybe once every year or less. Now I feast, then famine. Presently I have lots, but when this is gone, I won't have any for a few months.

Bird livers are far, far more pleasant and mild than cow livers, and pork liver is in-between the two, for me. I find that cow liver really benefits from a living apple cider marinade, or raw milk marinade if you eat dairy; it softens it and mellows the flavour a lot. If you like rosemary, I'd add fresh leaves to the marinade, too. Also, I make mine with equal amounts by volume, chopped onion and chopped bacon, fried in almost as much lard (I render my own from Boris, or whichever pig came to a sudden stop most recently amongst my friends' livestock), black pepper and salt.

My partner had a tooth crack and half of it fell out. His teeth are extremely crowded and difficult to cope with. Anyway, his teeth, though crowded and missing parts, are now all individually strong and thickly enameled, which they've never been before in his life. He needs dental work because his teeth are under severe pressure, but all of his caries (and there were lots, especially where two teeth were pressing on one another) have enameled. So his mouth is a healthy, but improperly developed one (he was malnourished throughout his childhood).

His situation justifies dentistry, in my opinion, but his situation is certainly not the common one for needing a dentist, and of course, had he been properly nourished, his jaw would have developed properly, barring any other happenstance.

Anyway, I kept things to myself about this and only just discovered in the last year that there are whole groups of people on the 'net, healing their teeth through nutrition. There are forums and websites to join and read. It's great!

You can heal your teeth. It's such an odd thing that even when we come to realise that our bodies heal given the materials and conditions needed, it's somehow another step to apply that understanding to our teeth, as though they were an enigma, like everything else can heal, but not the teeth. So strange. It was a second step for me, too. It's just so odd. But thankfully, it's possible, and has been real for me and my family.

Comment

Working...
                              X