No announcement yet.

Anyone want to shoot holes in my plan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone want to shoot holes in my plan?

I want to do a week of very minimal eating in terms of types of foods.
    My basic idea is meat, green leafy veggies and avocados.

I'm thinking a pound of greens and a pound of meat a day. Also fish oil capsules and I might do a multi vitamin. I might also add eggs into the mix if needed.

In general that seems to bring me to around 1300 calories a day so I may have to add in some extra fats (bacon grease on my greens!) or eat more fatty meat like pork or ground beef.

I'm planning on doing this for a WEEK only. As an experiment. And also as a fairly complete elimination diet. Then I want to slowly (maybe 2 types of food a week) add back in other veggies, nightshades, a little fruit, nuts, etc.

Any big problems you guys see with this plan? Or suggestions?

It sounds exactly like the Whole 30 regimen.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Not really because I'm not going to eat ANY veggies except for leafy greens and NO fruits except for avocados for the first week.

Comment

If you want it as an elimination diet, I think two foods a week could be too much - don't you do one at a time (as opposed to adding nightshades, then adding nightshades and dairy, then adding nightshades, dairy, and nuts....)? Or have I misunderstood?

Comment

Well I will add them one at a time but probably 3-4 days apart so 2 foods per week. There is a birthday party coming up where I will probably eat anything so I want to have added back those things in a controlled manner first. I so far have not noticed any particular sensitivities to anything but this will be the most comprehensive elimination I've ever done too.

Comment

I too think that's too fast for an elimination diet. For example, add a dairy food one day and wait a couple days and try a dairy food again. Each food should be "challenged" more than once to make sure that you do or do not tolerate it. Then you can move on the the next food in another week. Elimination diets are a tedious pain, but if you're going to do it you might as well do it carefully.

Comment

What you are describing--meat, eggs, greens, avocados, and fats (bacon grease, butter, some coconut oil, some olive)--is exactly my average daily diet. I love it. Oh, and hot sauce.

Comment

Ok. I'm less worried or interested in the adding things back in part of the plan and more interested in seeing what my body thinks of a super limited diet. (Really hoping to avoid the eggs even) Now I'm assuming that since it's just one week it pretty much wouldn't matter what I'm eating. But are there any concerns that people know of with eating that much meat for instance. Vitamin A was one thing that came up in my mind since its prevalent in meats.
                Last edited by Noctiluca; 02-19-2011, 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Vitamin A is concentrated in liver, so as long as you don't go nuts on that I don't see a problem

Comment

Originally posted by Noctiluca View Post
                    Ok. I'm less worried or interested in the adding things back in part of the plan and more interested in seeing what my body thinks of a super limited diet. (Really hoping to avoid the eggs even) Now I'm assuming that since it's just one week it pretty much wouldn't matter what I'm eating. But are there any concerns that people know of with eating that much meat for instance. Vitamin A was one thing that came up in my mind since its prevalent in meats.
                    not sure why you would do this really - borderline "fad diet" sounding to me. BUT your body is yours to experiment on I guess, just not sure what you will learn at the end of the week. You're sure its not just a way to "cut calories" and deprive yourself cos that what you "should do"?? If these are favourite foods that you love and would choose to eat every day cos its what you want - like Orchid - thats different!

One week won't hurt you in vitamin terms I don't think - but doing this would have me craving "forbidden" foods, bolster my sense of failure potentially (if I ate a nut or a bit of carrot) and set me up for the mother of all binges.

You, of course, are you and not me.

Comment

Sounds great to me! I would miss my chocolate & dairy, but if you gave me steak instead, I would not complain at all, lol!
                      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

One week of elimination is probably too little. Four weeks would be better.

You'll never OD on Vitamin A by eating meat. Liver yes, meat no
                        Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Ok cool. I don't see me binging on liver! I'm not really sure I even like it at all!

This whole thing is just curiosity, not any particular problem solving, not any particular calorie goals or anything (if anything I'm worried about getting ENOUGH calories!)

I just thought I'd bounce it off of all of you in case there was some big thing I was missing! Thanks guys. Case closed. I'm going grocery shopping.

Comment

So far so good! Day one was derailed by an invite to go have pizza at the pub up the street. They haven't been serving pizza very long, I've heard it was really good and I had a coupon for a free drink. So.... Pizza and root beer was had. But it was an offer to good to pass up! So today is the new day one. So far so good. I'm already learning new things! Because with this limited of a menu I can really tell if I'm actually hungry or just feel like munching. Because after a huge plate of greens for breakfast & a huge plate of greens and 8oz of steak for lunch and an avocado I found myself thinking about food. WTH? I had JUST eaten lunch. Like 10 minutes ago. My stomach still feels full now and its been several hours. So obviously it was my brain wanting munchies not my body being hungry! [sarcasm] Because for whatever reason nibbling on raw greens just didn't sound very appealing at that point! [/sarcasm] Also there is a big mental lack of worry about food because I know almost exactly what is for the next meal. Greens and meat. The only variation is do I cook up the turkey leg or the venison steaks tonight? Or do I throw either of those in a pot with the chicken stock and the kale that is set out for tonight and make stew out of it? But knowing that in the end it's greens and meat makes it VERY simple. Not even the added work of making a salad!

Comment

Day 2! All-righty. Still going strong. I didn't eat nearly so many greens today simply because I wasn't around home much and protein is rather more portable than salad! But Since I have a huge pile of greens in my fridge I will try to better tomorrow! Maybe a chicken broth and kale soup with chunks of some kind of meat floating around in it? Because tomorrow I don't have to be anywhere once I get home from work! Yea!

But I am still finding myself amazed at how often I want to eat something just for the sake of eating it. Not because I am actually hungry. This is proving to be a good experiment!

Comment

Working...
                              X