washing dishes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• washing dishes

I've gotten into a little scuffle with my roommates because, apparently, when I wash dishes that I was cooking in or eating from, there is still grease left over (that they can see and have apparently been traumatized for for the past SIX MONTHS but have only told me about it now. passive-aggressive much?). They are completely CW - as far as I know, they cook with margarine and corn oil. No real fats whatsoever. Do animal fats stick more to dishes?? Is getting the dishes completely clean ever a problem for you?

yeah my mom says my pans are never fully clean, but they look perfectly clean to me....shes constantly cleaning everything all the time though so it could be her

Comment

Never had a problem with that. Your roommate may just be weird. I once lived with a guy who refused to share flatware with anyone, so he would just buy big bags of plastic knives and forks to use.
      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Geek's never made mention of it, and he' usually pretty anal about getting everything in the kitchen clean to keep bugs and rodents out.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

How do you remove the fat from nonstick pans? Those are the hardest.

Comment

I find that I need hotter water and more washing up liquid than I used to. Mind you, I *like* still having the grease on my cast iron...

Depends on your room temp really - I live in an old, cold place so the fat solidifies and needs a bit of melting/scrubbing off. Humour them, maybe try a different detergent, but I bet they're being a bit weird about it being arterycloggingsaturatedfat as well

Also, the sponge/cloth that you use to wash with might need washing out a lot more (I sling mine in the dishwasher quite a lot).

Comment

I suppose I need more changes of water and more soap when doing a big stack of greasy things, but one kind of grease is much like another. Maybe more saturated fats need hotter water? Anyway, your roommates do sound a bit weird - they stoically endured this Grease Hell you've been inflicting on them for six months before they finally couldn't bear it any more? Hm. My life's too short to argue with such paragons of virtue and restraint.

Comment

Originally posted by imasin View Post
                How do you remove the fat from nonstick pans? Those are the hardest.
                I rinse with hot water from the tap first and then hand wash them in water hot enough for my hands to take.

Comment

I keep my apartment pretty cold and I was noticing that the stovetop doesn't come completely clean from just soap and water. If you aim to accommodate them I would switch to Dawn and use one of those sponges that is scotch brite on one side. Fry pans should stay a little greasy IMO, take a brillo pad to the others.

Or get some new roommates.
                  Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

If I were you, I would keep my own set of pots and pans.

Comment

I could be that you simply don't wash the dishes as good as they do.

Whenever my husband washes dishes, which is rare (we have a dishwasher, but fry pans, etc. we hand wash, and he's the type that he will hand wash them all rather than put any in the dishwasher) I inevitably rewash them later because he leaves them greasy. But he also doesn't wash in what I consider the correct order - least dirty to dirtiest (wash the glasses first, then the plates, greasy fry pan last, add more hot water/detergent if needed). After 26 years of marriage, I have learned it's easier to smile and say thanks and rewash them when he does them (since it's a rare occurance) than tell him he's not doing it to my standards - yeah, I am a little ocd/anal about cleanliness.

Maybe soak the dishes in hot soapy water for a bit, rinse, put fresh hot soapy water back in the sink and wash. Dawn is the best for grease I think.

Comment

I've found that my non-stick frying pans will look clean as in they are shiny and no food is on them yet still have that layer of grease (part of what makes it shiny I would imagine). What I do is wash the pan as normal, rinse it in hot water, and then wash it again out of the water with a soapy sponge. I say out of the water so that the water in the sink doesn't wash the soap off right away. Once it is good and soaped up I'll rub the sponge around it a few more times and then rinse it with hot water from the tap. It seems to work.

Comment

Originally posted by eraserheadgirl View Post
                          If I were you, I would keep my own set of pots and pans.
                          Yup. Going to do that today. Plates, too, because apparently I suck at cleaning those as well.

Originally posted by Hilary View Post
                          I suppose I need more changes of water and more soap when doing a big stack of greasy things, but one kind of grease is much like another. Maybe more saturated fats need hotter water? Anyway, your roommates do sound a bit weird - they stoically endured this Grease Hell you've been inflicting on them for six months before they finally couldn't bear it any more? Hm. My life's too short to argue with such paragons of virtue and restraint.
                          Yup they are weird. I also used a cup to do a saltwater rinse in the bathroom back when I had my wisdom teeth taken out, and accidentally left it in the bathroom, which one of them later told me she thought was unsanitary. Well, the other one told me last night that they felt that I should've been using a disposable cup to gargle (I wasn't gargling, just rinsing) and that they actually haven't been using those cups since then!! I'm a pretty clean person... but they are too f**king anal-retentively clean/germaphobic for me. The irony is that they're the ones constantly getting sick.

Comment

yes, and yes. my 7 year old washes the dishes in our house, though i wash the bigger/heavier/tougher stuff. it works best to wash the dishes more frequently, in smaller batches, with hotter water and more soap. i often send his dishes back to be washed again because there's a grease film left on them.
                            though, i'll admit the bathroom cup thing is pretty weird.
                            my primal journal:
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                              yes, and yes. my 7 year old washes the dishes in our house, though i wash the bigger/heavier/tougher stuff. it works best to wash the dishes more frequently, in smaller batches, with hotter water and more soap. i often send his dishes back to be washed again because there's a grease film left on them.
                              though, i'll admit the bathroom cup thing is pretty weird.
                              I use disposable cups in the bathroom. I'm rather anal about not drinking out of a shared cup.

Comment

Working...
                              X