Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for vegetarians..or who used to be lol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question for vegetarians..or who used to be lol

    I am just curious why you turned. I was pretty close to being a veg for a couple years. What made you switch?
    Disclaimer: I do not judge
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

  • #2
    The switch from omnivore to vegetarian was spurred by a spoiled hamburger when I was 10 or 11. The switch from vegetarian to omnivore was brought about when I realized how important protein was to my health, and how I'd never be able to get enough and feel good as a vegetarian, as my main source was yogurt and whey protein, which both bothered my stomach.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Enamel View Post
      The switch from omnivore to vegetarian was spurred by a spoiled hamburger when I was 10 or 11. The switch from vegetarian to omnivore was brought about when I realized how important protein was to my health, and how I'd never be able to get enough and feel good as a vegetarian, as my main source was yogurt and whey protein, which both bothered my stomach.
      Was it hard for you to switch back to omni? I would think the vegee world would say to eat lots of quinoa and beans and things like that. How long were you a veg? If you don`t feel like answering just tell me to go to hell lol
      "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
      www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

      Comment


      • #4
        I started on vegetarianism when I got cats. Animals seem pretty smart and cool.

        I switched after a buddy of mine, who is a fitness trainer, and I got into long long long debates. I'm an attorney, which means I can concede when I'm wrong and the other side has a point. Rather than try and hide in rhetoric, I gave his way a try and it worked much better.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by pattyd View Post
          Was it hard for you to switch back to omni? I would think the vegee world would say to eat lots of quinoa and beans and things like that. How long were you a veg? If you don`t feel like answering just tell me to go to hell lol
          I was vegetarian for about 8 years, but surprisingly, going back to eating meat was really easy, and now I don't know what I'd do without it. I ate 5 burger patties in a day once and then had 4 the following day - beef is wonderful and I don't think I'll be sick of it anytime soon, mmm.

          Comment


          • #6
            Switched to vegetarianism after several yoga practitioners pointed me to plant-based diets... I was looking for something, maybe a level of compassion, something spiritual, who knows. Factory farming and animal cruelty made me feel sick to my stomach. Then it became habit, and I had no intention of eating meat again. Lasted about 10 years.

            Switched back due to health issues (migraines, IBS, unexplained dizziness, and more) and weight gain, despite calorie restriction/exercise. I felt weak and tired, suffered depression and anxiety, and was frustrated after trying to tweak my diet so many times. I was told to add quinoa and beans, as you mentioned; it did not help me at all. Oh, also I looked like death. Fat, pale, death.
            Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

            Comment


            • #7
              Never had the urge or inclination to become a vegetarian. Probably would have when studying naturopathy from 2006 but was too well read on the benefits of low-carb to be swayed. If not for the internet I would have probably believed everything I was being taught.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
                Switched to vegetarianism after several yoga practitioners pointed me to plant-based diets... I was looking for something, maybe a level of compassion, something spiritual, who knows. Factory farming and animal cruelty made me feel sick to my stomach. Then it became habit, and I had no intention of eating meat again. Lasted about 10 years.

                Switched back due to health issues (migraines, IBS, unexplained dizziness, and more) and weight gain, despite calorie restriction/exercise. I felt weak and tired, suffered depression and anxiety, and was frustrated after trying to tweak my diet so many times. I was told to add quinoa and beans, as you mentioned; it did not help me at all. Oh, also I looked like death. Fat, pale, death.
                How long did it take for your health to turn around? I ate no meat or chicken but I did eat fish....I love sashimi! Basically for the same reasons as you. How has your thought process changed when it comes to the factory farming and not wanting to be a part of it? I`m still trying to figure this one out. I buy only grass fed beef and wild caught fish and I think that is helping me be able to eat meat. I love the taste, but the animal cruelty part just kills me.
                "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
                www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

                Comment


                • #9
                  I was vegetarian twice in my life--once from about 18 to mid-20s, then again for the past 8-9 years. I'm 48 now. I became a vegetarian because of factory farming practices, the questionable safety of most foods, etc. Also the CW of a low-fat diet and the "knowledge" that a vegetarian diet was the most healthful one you could eat. I returned to meat eating last month after reading Gary Taubes' research and doing some intense web-crawling, finding this site, and realizing that I had been duped all those years.

                  As a vegetarian I realized over and over again that I felt better when I ate more protein, but getting it was a chore and usually involved lots of dairy and/or soy, something I was reluctant to do. My weight was up, my energy was down and I generally felt like crap. Something had to give. I decided to try meat again, found a good, local source of clean meat, and as soon as I started upping my protein and fat, I felt much, much better.
                  Everything I eat has been proved by some doctor or other to be a deadly poison, and everything I don't eat has been proved to be indispensable for life. But I go marching on. ~George Bernard Shaw

                  Starting Weight (1/3/2011): 189
                  Current Weight: 173

                  Goal: To be in the best shape ever by age 50! (5/11/2012)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by pattyd View Post
                    How long did it take for your health to turn around? I ate no meat or chicken but I did eat fish....I love sashimi! Basically for the same reasons as you. How has your thought process changed when it comes to the factory farming and not wanting to be a part of it? I`m still trying to figure this one out. I buy only grass fed beef and wild caught fish and I think that is helping me be able to eat meat. I love the taste, but the animal cruelty part just kills me.
                    I still have a hard time with factory farming (especially at restaurants), but accept that I cannot be perfect. I purchase local or grass-fed meat/wild seafood for home, but sometimes budget does get in the way. I just do the best I can and feel grateful. Maybe being vegetarian was good in that it made me more aware of where my food comes from, and I have a lot of gratitude and respect for the animals and plants that I eat. That's about the only good thing that came out of it for me. My health issues are still being sorted out. Almost immediately the depression/anxiety and dizziness improved, and the digestive issues & migraines lessened over time (this was a few years ago). I'm learning slowly: gluten was behind the IBS, high carbs caused the migraines and weight gain, soy & wheat may have contributed to the thyroid nonsense. Very difficult to get protein as a veg without high carbs, unless you eat soy, seitan and the like.

                    Funny, my first non-veg meal after the 10 years was sashimi... it was my gateway food to being an omnivore
                    Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Ah you beat me! Grr! I was going to make a very similar thread to this.

                      What I'm interested in is the following...

                      Many people choose to be vegetarian/vegan because they have a moral issue with eating meat. I assume there are some primal eaters (meat eaters) on this board who used to fall into this category. I'd like to know how they justified the switch. Did they stop caring about the issue, or change where they stand on it?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I was a vegan for three years. In the last four or five months of being vegan, I weighed 135 pounds (15 less than what I'd consider healthy) and I was constantly hungry, cold, and fatigued. I was eating LOADS of processed vegan junk -- coconut milk ice cream, Clif bars, Naked/Odwalla drinks, vegan cookies, vegan pizza, mock meats, etc. I made an honest effort to eat more healthful food near the end -- I started cooking more (typically either rice pasta with vegetables or tempeh with vegetables), I soaked oatmeal overnight before eating it in the morning, I upped my fruit consumption, I cut out the mock meats, and I bought sprouted-grain breads and cereals. None of this ever satisfied me. I remember craving a satiating, hot meal, and I never got it as a vegan. I eventually started reading stories of ex-vegans, and realized I was experiencing the same problems. I got really tired of always feeling hungry and fatigued, so, about a year ago, I took my girlfriend out to a nice restaurant and ordered a salmon dish. I felt better within the first half hour; I had ENERGY for the first time in three years.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ciep View Post
                          Many people choose to be vegetarian/vegan because they have a moral issue with eating meat. I assume there are some primal eaters (meat eaters) on this board who used to fall into this category. I'd like to know how they justified the switch. Did they stop caring about the issue, or change where they stand on it?
                          The way conventionally raised/slaughtered animals are treated is disgusting, but I can't change that just by not eating meat, so there's no point in sacrificing my health.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Enamel View Post
                            The way conventionally raised/slaughtered animals are treated is disgusting, but I can't change that just by not eating meat, so there's no point in sacrificing my health.
                            Good point, in an article someone posted a few days back the author said that he considered vegetarianism/veganism a product of low self-esteem as said persons value a cow's health over their own. I'm not saying it is true but it was an interesting observation.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The way conventionally raised/slaughtered animals are treated is disgusting, but I can't change that just by not eating meat, so there's no point in sacrificing my health
                              You would do more by supporting grass fed and pastured products than avoiding them and supporting the corn and soy industries.

                              I was vegetarian for 6 years and dabbled in vegan, raw foods and various juice fasts etc. I've felt pretty fatigued for almost as long as I can remember. I remember it hit me in high school. I used to skateboard a lot and I discovered the joys of caffeine. It was great at first but it started to really tweak me out at times. This basically started a pattern of bad diet, lots of coffee, Coke a cola and other crap until the year before i graduated college and found myself thinking about my health. So CW at the time was that vegetarianism was super healthy so, 6 years of trying to feel better and nothing. I tried everything, I tried quitting coffee, but it didn't change all the inflammation, I ruled out everything I could find that could be wrong with me. Finally it dawned on me that I might just need some F'n protein. I started to crave Pulled pork in the middle of the night, and a few days later I bought a few slices of peppered salami and almost went into a state of euphoria after that first bite. A week later me and the wife went to a steak house while we were on vacation. I ordered the rib Eye medium rare. Oh.....My.....Gaaa. SOoooooo good. I actually remember feeling unbelievably energized from it. So coming back to eating meat was pretty easy, The morality was a justification that a friend of my sister put into sharp perspective when he told me how on his farm the most disrespectful thing to do to a cow is to let it die of old age and suffer, Then let it just rot in the field, when it could feed the whole family for at least a month. Made me re-think a lot of my moral issues on the subject. Then you through in the evolutionary evidence ala paleo and bam. Here I am. skinnier, stronger and much happier.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X