Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IF: when does it hit you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • IF: when does it hit you?

    This last week, I've done an IF twice where I stopped eating at 8:00 and started again around 1:00 the next day. Worked out okay, but I didn't see any great results.

    Yesterday, i had a different sort of IF. An Inadvertent fast. I had planned to fast breakfast and get a healthy lunch. Then a client showed up at the office and I never got lunch. Then I hit the gym and had a chopped salad for dinner. It was only mildly uncomfortable, really, but I had thought that I'd see some decent results today after a day and a workout like that, but I got very little. Does IF often stall out your weight loss at all? Do the ramifications take a while to settle in? Or is it just not doing a whole lot for me at this stage?

  • #2
    Let me be sure I understand what you're saying before I try to answer.

    You did IF twice last week, got on the scale, didn't see massive instant weight loss, then you did a mondo IF yesterday - complete with workout, and you got on the scale today and still didn't see any massive instant weight loss?

    If that is what happened and what you are looking for, you might want to notch it back a bit. Slide that scale up under the bed or lock it in the garage for a month before pulling it out again. IF can be fairly quick acting on your blood sugar numbers and insulin resistance and other metabolic effects, but yeah - it's not going to drop the scale out from under you.

    Weight loss is made easier with IF, IMO, but easier doesn't necessarily mean faster. And I only think it makes it easier by helping to bring your metabolism back around to where it is functioning optimally.

    YMMV - Maybe someone else knows better, but that has been my experience with IF.

    Comment


    • #3
      To be honest, I'm already losing weight at a good clip, so it's not a problem, I just wasn't sure if it was abnormal. In actuality, I seemed to lose weight slower the day after a fast than without (which may be due to other factors). just looking to see if my experience was normal or not.

      Comment


      • #4
        If by 'my experience' you mean your expectation that one fast will cause you to lose a stone and one workout will cause you to visibly bulk up, then yes, it seems to be becoming far more normal around here lately.
        The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
        Blog
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Weight loss on a day to day basis has as much to do with the humidity in the air that night as it does with anything else. You are talking variation beyond your scale's repeat accuracy readings most likely and certainly beyond normal water fluctuation in the body.
          MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

          "When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

          Comment


          • #6
            um....yeah....I think you have some unrealistic expectations in general. Any weight fluctuations you are seeing post-workout or post-fast would most likely just be water.
            Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Primal Fist View Post
              If by 'my experience' you mean your expectation that one fast will cause you to lose a stone and one workout will cause you to visibly bulk up, then yes, it seems to be becoming far more normal around here lately.
              That seems like an oddly hostile reaction to an honest question. I guess I'll solider on without, then.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Anivair View Post
                That seems like an oddly hostile reaction to an honest question. I guess I'll solider on without, then.
                @anivair - this is not entirely your fault - but I was going to post something similar. I think the problem is that there have been a LOT of posts and threads about IF recently with people seeming to think missing a couple of meals was a magic ticket to miraculous weight loss and body transformation. I'm not saying you did, you posted a question on a forum that invites questions. fair enough.

                You say you are already losing weight "at a good clip" I would genuinely advise you to accept that with gratitude and worry about the minutiae of IF when you have really slowed down for a couple of months??

                And I TOTALLY agree about stopping weighing so often. Too much genuine fluctuation is possible from day to day, even week to week. If you worry about the effects of individual days on next day weigh ins you could just make yourself very unhappy (and be radically altering you body but not appreciate it).

                Good luck.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Anivair View Post
                  That seems like an oddly hostile reaction to an honest question. I guess I'll solider on without, then.
                  Here is my story, basically...

                  I started PB on January 4 and blasted off 17lbs without doing anything (down from 231 to 218). Basically, more meat, less carbs. 15lbs GONE. Double chin GONE. Shirts all fit nicely, many of which didn't fit at all.

                  Then February hit and I was stuck at 218, and then it would go up from 218 - 220. I started getting stronger, looking better, feeling better, but weight stayed the same. I made some minor modifications -- incorporated the Leangains fasting, potatoes on workout days, and rotated high fat with low fat days depending on carbs.

                  It took two weeks, but I dropped to 213 as of this morning. Bench is up, pullups are up, etc. It was weird because I was doing the above for like two weeks and the scale didn't move until yesterday -- but then like 4 or 5 lbs were gone. I suspect my body lost the fat, replaced it with water, and now the water is gone.

                  Keep plugging along. It's weird like that. Also, everyone says it, but ditch the scale. Everyone has commented on how much weight I've lost since January, but it's more of a re-composition than anything.
                  Last edited by cavemanj; 02-18-2011, 10:32 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Also, IF was more of a 'by necessity' thing for me. I just don't have time to eat all that much. Plus, I find that I'm most productive on IF. If I'm going to court, I do it in a fasted state.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Its a good question and I'm glad you asked because I was wondering the same thing. My experience has been similar to cavemanj's. I started daily fasting just under two weeks ago, checking weight almost daily, as well as calorie counting and ensuring a deficit just this past week -- with fasting periods getting progressively longer as I adjusted, with today's being the longest at 24 hours -- and I _just_ saw a weight loss this morning. In fact, I gained a bit over the past week and "felt" unusually un-slim, almost bloated, and then suddenly lost 3 lbs., gone, (whoosh???) with a visible difference that looks back from the mirror. I don't have much to lose -- or any, technically -- (just some fine tuning) so I think this is significant.

                      If you want to be neurotic and check the scale everyday (under the same conditions) go for it. I do -- it does go up and down but there is inevitably a pattern, and thats what I want to see. But that's me, its not going to wreck my day and I like geeking out on all the data collecting.

                      Short answer (for me, at least, fine BF% to start with and already primal for many many months and ketone-adjusted): it takes 1 - 2 weeks. I wonder how hard-core you have to be for the results, though.

                      ...The best thing about IF, though, and whats taken awhile for me to catch on to, physiologically, is all the extra energy people speak of. I've been like "um, I'm hungry" but then after a good ten days (eventually at just one meal, AM or midday) I've had weird extra energy and motivation, like doing all these chores around the house in the evening as well as waking automatiically before the sun rises. Before, IF for me was like going to church but just not feeling the inspiration, and it seems like my body is finally starting to take to it...
                      Last edited by Orchid; 02-18-2011, 12:08 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by denise View Post
                        @anivair - this is not entirely your fault - but I was going to post something similar. I think the problem is that there have been a LOT of posts and threads about IF recently with people seeming to think missing a couple of meals was a magic ticket to miraculous weight loss and body transformation. I'm not saying you did, you posted a question on a forum that invites questions. fair enough.

                        You say you are already losing weight "at a good clip" I would genuinely advise you to accept that with gratitude and worry about the minutiae of IF when you have really slowed down for a couple of months??

                        And I TOTALLY agree about stopping weighing so often. Too much genuine fluctuation is possible from day to day, even week to week. If you worry about the effects of individual days on next day weigh ins you could just make yourself very unhappy (and be radically altering you body but not appreciate it).

                        Good luck.
                        TBH, I've never been the sort to check my weight often, but I found that keeping track of it while I to paleo has been pretty motivating. It's certainly not all i'm using as a barometer, I was just curious if my experience was normal. From what I read IF helps some people with weight loss and for others it's just a healthy thing to do for their digestive system. I was more trying to figure out which category I fell into than anything else.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Orchid View Post
                          ...The best thing about IF, though, and whats taken awhile for me to catch on to, physiologically, is all the extra energy people speak of. I've been like "um, I'm hungry" but then after a good ten days (eventually at just one meal, AM or midday) I've had weird extra energy and motivation, like doing all these chores around the house in the evening as well as waking automatiically before the sun rises. Before, IF for me was like going to church but just not feeling the inspiration, and it seems like my body is finally starting to take to it...
                          Paleo in general has been like that for me, especially when i first started it. I used to not have the energy to do chores. Now I get them all done and look for more to do. that's great and my laundry appreciates it!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by cavemanj View Post
                            If I'm going to court, I do it in a fasted state.
                            A lawyer that's literally lean and hungry, I'd want you at my table.

                            And on the IF'ing and scale watching on a daily basis. If you are finding it necessary on an ongoing basis to be counting calories I daresay something is out of whack, most likely fat intake is too low. If you are on the scale daily you will also be driving yourself crazy. The whole point of PB is it being effortless and satisfying. And if you are following any kind of exercise regimen you should be building muscle which is much more dense than fat thus you could be taking up less volume while still weighing the same.
                            Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Followup: that sudden loss of a few pounds after holding for a week or so? That just happened to me. Thanks to people who shared their experience. I'm going to stick with the IF even if it doesn't have a big effect of my weight in the future because I felt pretty good doing it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X