Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

recipe help please - trying lamb hearts!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • recipe help please - trying lamb hearts!!

    Its a big leap for me - but they were on offer, very cheap and if I hate them - not much wasted.

    BUT I have no idea how to prepare or cook them??

    I would, without advice, simply cut them up, fry in a pan to brown then simmer for a long time with onions and spices??

    Any tried and tested ways of cooking them VERY welcome!

    If the hearts are a success - next its LIVER!!

  • #2
    Hi Denise... I am wondering the same thing. I bought a lamb mixture of ground lamb meat, liver, and heart. It rang up as pet food, but those are the only ingredients and it's pastured. Is that okay to eat? lol

    I also bought liver and I'm scared to try it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
      Hi Denise... I am wondering the same thing. I bought a lamb mixture of ground lamb meat, liver, and heart. It rang up as pet food, but those are the only ingredients and it's pastured. Is that okay to eat? lol

      I also bought liver and I'm scared to try it.
      pet food!! LOL! Come to think of it though - we may just feed pets better than ourselves! Sounds edible to me!! I'd even know/have a clue how to cook that!!

      Comment


      • #4
        I saw some at the market...google anticuchos which are Peruvian beef heart kabobs, recipes should work for lamb.

        Comment


        • #5
          Synchronicity! I'm just back from the butcher's with two lamb hearts. The butcher said to put them in a covered dish at a very low heat - 150 Celsius - for an hour or an hour and a half. She also prepared them for me, bless her, so I don't need to do that. If yours are whole, there will be stuff to do... I'm pretty vague as to exactly what...

          Also brought lamb's liver (yum), bones for stock and some diced mutton. Husband enquires if I want to build my own sheep.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Hilary View Post
            Synchronicity! I'm just back from the butcher's with two lamb hearts. The butcher said to put them in a covered dish at a very low heat - 150 Celsius - for an hour or an hour and a half. She also prepared them for me, bless her, so I don't need to do that. If yours are whole, there will be stuff to do... I'm pretty vague as to exactly what...

            Also brought lamb's liver (yum), bones for stock and some diced mutton. Husband enquires if I want to build my own sheep.
            LOL!

            The preparing stuff is one worry. I think there might be bits I have to remove. I also don't want them to still look like hearts (at the risk of sounding wet). Next time I will ask the butcher to do that - if there is a next time

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
              I saw some at the market...google anticuchos which are Peruvian beef heart kabobs, recipes should work for lamb.
              going to look that up, thank you

              Comment


              • #8
                Hey!
                I heart hearts
                I did a post on goose hearts recently - it'll be really nice with lamb hearts too I think. I've got a pic of where to trim on it. Bascially the tubes/veins all popping out of the top need to come off, you can do that without losing too much meat.
                http://carrotandrabbit.wordpress.com...ntine-special/

                Look at the picture of the two whole hearts and you'll see some whiter tissue near the top. Think of this as the top of the heart, and chop off the gubbins above it. You might want to rinse it now in case there's a bit of gooey blood left in it. Or dice it up then give a quick rinse.
                Cook it either hot and fast, or slow and gentle.
                Enjoy

                I still struggle with liver... I recommend a very alcoholic paté

                PS - this one is an anticuchos recipe, I just realised it doesn't say that anywhere in the post!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
                  Hey!
                  I heart hearts
                  I did a post on goose hearts recently - it'll be really nice with lamb hearts too I think. I've got a pic of where to trim on it. Bascially the tubes/veins all popping out of the top need to come off, you can do that without losing too much meat.
                  http://carrotandrabbit.wordpress.com...ntine-special/

                  Look at the picture of the two whole hearts and you'll see some whiter tissue near the top. Think of this as the top of the heart, and chop off the gubbins above it. You might want to rinse it now in case there's a bit of gooey blood left in it. Or dice it up then give a quick rinse.
                  Cook it either hot and fast, or slow and gentle.
                  Enjoy

                  I still struggle with liver... I recommend a very alcoholic paté

                  PS - this one is an anticuchos recipe, I just realised it doesn't say that anywhere in the post!
                  many thanks!! I have looked online too but all the recipes seem to have ingredients I can't/won't add. Reckon diced up, browned and then slow cooked with veggies will be my way this time, see if I like the flavour (not big on offal and no idea what taste to expect. As long as its not like kidneys. Cannot bear that flavour at all!!!)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I cooked beef heart again last night, delicious again. Chopped up onion, salt n pepper, some chipotle chili powder, and a can of tomatos on the top. I put maybe a half inch of water in the pan, and cooked it in the oven at 250F until it smelled too good to ignore - about 2 1/2 hours. Mmmm!
                    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

                    Big Fat Fiasco

                    Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If it helps, the goose hearts were surprisingly mild. Beef heart I find to be a stronger tasting but tender "steak" type flavour.
                      Heart is a good "gateway" to offal

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My organic pork farmer is getting me some lamb hearts next week. He recommends cutting the innards out so they form a pocket, stuffing them with sausage meat which has been mixed with chopped onion and sage so it is really well flavoured. Put stuffed hearts in casserole (I'll use my slow cooker), add two chopped onions, bay leaves, wine, stock and tomato puree and braise slowly in the oven at about 160°C for two and half hours - again, in the slow cooker I'll go for about 5 or 6.

                        He reckons that he, as a farmer / butcher, can get himself any cut of meat and this is his favourite. I'll be trying it next Thursday....!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Mm... sounds scrumptious. I wonder if it would work nicely with some of the beautifully fatty lamb mince I bought at the market today instead of sausage meat. (The stallholder was very sweetly warning me that their mince was fatty. Yes, I noticed, that's why I'm buying it...)

                          Am I right in thinking that with the slow cooker, you *have* to add liquid? So if I want to slow roast something rather than stewing it, I just use the oven? (How much liquid is essential for the slow cooker?)

                          I sort of got the lamb hearts by accident - I said something like, 'Oh, are those hearts? How do you cook them?' and next thing I knew she'd prepared them for me. So here goes...

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X