Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why's it bad to have too many primal treats?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why's it bad to have too many primal treats?

Seeing as most people on the primal diet tend to eat all natural whole foods anyway, what's wrong with eating a lot of the foods we consider to be treats?

Saying you make desserts with things like almond flour, bananas, eggs and cocoa powder as the main ingredients. Others being honey, coconut, fruit, nut butters, etc, what are the reasons for not having treats every day?

I've been eating a lot more of these foods because I'm getting into baking and cooking in general, but I'm using healthy natural ingredients. Why do we advise having primal treats in moderation?

How often do you have dessert foods?

Most people are trying to lose weight/body fat.

If you were trying to gain, I don't see anything wrong with it.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I'm 125lbs.
      This is just what I wanted to hear

Comment

These primal treats are typically higher in carbs. They have great ingredients, but will cause weight gain if eaten too much or too often.

Comment

Exactly what iniQ and John said
          My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

I agree that these treats are ok in moderation (though I'm kinda down on nut flours and nuts in general lately - too much omega-6), but I like this post also: http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...igarettes.html

Comment

this is semantics surely "too much/too often/too many" implies a problem. You WANT to gain weight - so its "just enough"?

Of course body composition might come into this?? I am also assuming you want to gain muscle not fat?? Weight gain even on Primal won't be muscle if you eat "too many desserts", even Primal ones???

Comment

Originally posted by randallfloyd View Post
                I'm 125lbs.
                This is just what I wanted to hear
                Eat more meat and fat, then eat the sweet treats my boy.
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Here's my reason for moderation. A couple of weeks ago, I bought some coconut flour because I wanted to make muffins or pancakes--which I normally never have--i.e., I don't make any primal treats usually, limiting my eating to fish, meat, eggs, and veggies (and almond butter!).

So one day, I made a muffin (using a soup cup to make an individual one). It was so delicious with my morning coffee that I made another. I made a third one for 'lunch,' and then had a fourth one later that afternoon. I figured they were about 300 cal each, so the 1200 cal were all I should have had for the day, and I was satisfied. I tend to be a 'morning eater' and often skip any evening meal. HOWEVER, that day, by 7 pm, I was STARVING.
                  That's very unusual for me because my daily calorie level is lower than 1200 (I'm post menopausal and hypothyroid with a VERY slow metabolism.)

I suspect that this happened because my muffins didn't have the nutrients that my body gets from my standard menu, so it was begging for more food.

My point is that overdoing the 'treats' isn't a good idea because we're filling ourselves up with less nutritious food.

I've decided to limit my treats to almond butter--but I first have to get control of that delicious stuff!

Comment

Also, if you have any sort of sensitivity to sweets, they can make you crave more-- even if they're "healthy sweets." It's no different then the raw vegans who gain weight because they eat too many raw desserts (which are amazing, but super rich).

Comment

I've had this same reaction to eating too many primal sweets. I get hungry more often during that day, even week! I was wondering what I've done wrong but I've finally realized its because of all the "honey and almond flour" in my primal treats. I am now restricting it to once a month and its mostly for my non primal husband anyways ;-)

Comment

Most primal sweets have a moderate or greater amount of sugar (yes honey is sugar, in fact it has more fructose than sucrose) and a moderate or greater amount of nut products, meaning omega-6. You have to have wheat to have something more inflammatory than fructose or omega-6.

Primal treat or primal junk?
                        Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Keep in mind that even plain modern produce has been hybridized and cultivated for many thousands of years beyond what Grok was eating. Fruits especially pack a huge punch of sugar that they never had in the wild. Compare a yellow banana to a plantain (or sweet potatoes to yams) and you get the idea. Add honey or other sweeteners, and that's something Grok would NOT have had daily, not by a long shot.

It's not about calories or weight loss, it's a question of the nutrition and the signals you're sending your body. Just because it's not in a box, doesn't mean it's primal. When you are eating really clean, things that didn't seem sweet before can be almost too sweet. Carrots taste like candy to me.

So IMO sticking to a SAD sugar-centered idea of "dessert" or "reward" food seems like a sure way to sabotage yourself on several levels.
                          "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
                          "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
                          If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                            I agree that these treats are ok in moderation (though I'm kinda down on nut flours and nuts in general lately - too much omega-6), but I like this post also: http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...igarettes.html
                            While I agree with almost everything on Kurt's blog (and think he does a fantastic job explaining complex topics), I do feel his recommendations are just too restrictive sometimes. Food is meant to be enjoyed, at least once in a while. If you've eliminated grains, candy, processed food etc, you're already doing way better than most.

Obviously, excessive consumption of fruits, nuts, or primal treats will thwart your progress to an extent. Fruit is really sad because it is so delicious, but the fructose is a big problem. It makes total sense that the fruit we have today in no way resembles fruit that occurred "naturally" prior to artificial human selection. I do think it is interesting that hardly anyone in the mainstream will ever ever suggest that fruits could be an issue--it's a very politically incorrect thing to do. In the popular consciousness, fruit exists as a bright, colorful, sweet, antioxidant drenched wonder food.

Anyway, I just can't tolerate a diet that is only meat and vegetables. I have to have some variety. I guess that's why Mark's guidelines appeal to me. They may be less effective for some people who have really cruddy metabolisms, but they're also more realistic to adhere to--more pleasurable while still being head and shoulders above the SAD.

Comment

It's bad because sugar is bad for you even if its in honey or a mango, if you eat a lot of it you will be less healthy. Also because things like whipped coocnut milk with cut mango can easily add 500 calories to the end of an already big meal, and calories do, in fact, matter to some extent.
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Working...
                              X