Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar worse than cigarettes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sugar worse than cigarettes

    I keep hearing lately how sugar is worse than cigs...what do you guys think??? That's all. Lol.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    --John Muir


    "I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
    --Tommy Caldwell


    ‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
    --Hyperlithic

  • #2
    I'm not sure, but personally I think they're both bad in different ways.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

    A Primal Twin Pregnancy

    Proud mother of twin girls!

    Comment


    • #3
      Maybe one way it's "worse" isn't so much in its effect as the fact its so damn hard to avoid? Give up cigarettes and you don't find nicotine is surreptitiously added (under all sorts of names) to everything you buy. Also, we don't give cigarettes to our children from a young age as a "treat" and help them onto the road to addiction? Sugar is still seen as a benign, "ok if done in moderation" substance ... that (mis)perception makes it even more dangerous.

      Long term, because we have made it ubiquitous in our diets, we may find it causes a more widespread health timebomb than cigarettes ever did/will?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by denise View Post
        Maybe one way it's "worse" isn't so much in its effect as the fact its so damn hard to avoid? Give up cigarettes and you don't find nicotine is surreptitiously added (under all sorts of names) to everything you buy. Also, we don't give cigarettes to our children from a young age as a "treat" and help them onto the road to addiction? Sugar is still seen as a benign, "ok if done in moderation" substance ... that (mis)perception makes it even more dangerous.

        Long term, because we have made it ubiquitous in our diets, we may find it causes a more widespread health timebomb than cigarettes ever did/will?
        That's a good point.
        If you never start smoking it's quite easy to avoid, but sugar is everywhere. Very addictive it is too.
        "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
        Paracelsus

        A Primal Twin Pregnancy

        Proud mother of twin girls!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Clymb View Post
          I keep hearing lately how sugar is worse than cigs...what do you guys think??? That's all. Lol.
          So long as people stay away from smoking sugar, we should be okay.
          August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

          I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

          Comment


          • #6
            I was actually thinking about this sort of thing the other day and I'd say as bad as alcohol and tobacco is, there are probably more, even worse, consequences from all the sugar "we" ingest every day...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Patrick View Post
              So long as people stay away from smoking sugar, we should be okay.
              I heard that they sweeten some cigarettes with HFCS.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
                I heard that they sweeten some cigarettes with HFCS.
                Jesus H. God-dancing Christ... what will they think of next! lol
                August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

                I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by patrick View Post
                  jesus h. God-dancing christ... What will they think of next! Lol
                  lmao!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    My friend and I were comparing sugar to cigarettes at work last week! Which is "worse" probably depends on how often and in what amount you abuse them (and if you have any existing preconditions). If a person binges on sugar regularly (like many people) and only has an occasional "social cigarette" (say once a month), then the sugar's likely doing more harm than the smoking.

                    Either way though, I like making this comparison for people when discussing sugar with them. People don't realize how addicting it really is! Most people just thing they "like" sugar, or that it "tastes good". They don't realize that it's actually a seriously addicting substance (in many ways!).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                      Jesus H. God-dancing Christ... what will they think of next! lol
                      So....IT really is in everything....

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X