Raw vs Roasted (Macadamia) Nuts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw vs Roasted (Macadamia) Nuts

Which do you think is better? I am starting a whole30 on Sunday and will be skipping all nuts except for macadamias. So is raw or roasted better? The roasted ones on Amazon are cheaper so I think I will go for those...

Its the raw vs roasted debate on nuts!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

I've only had raw and love them. I would think roasting them may diminish some of the nutrient content.

Comment

I don't know, but make sure they're dry-roasted if you do choose that option. I think the oils used in roasting make nuts taste gross, and they're always over-salted.

Comment

I would get raw and roast them yourself. If you buy pre roasted, make sure there's no oils added. Roasting will diminish some of the phytic acid and other antinutrients.

Comment

Raw every time - the oils aren't cooked so less likely to go trans and the taste/texture of raw wins hands down. They do seem to taste WAAAY rivher than the roasted to me, so maybe eat fewer and see how you go?

http://goneraw.com/recipe/macadamia-cream this is truly sinful and carb-loaded to hell but one of the most delicious wasy to abuse one's pancreas in my honest opinion
          I don't ask that you like me - all I ask is that you respect my life experiences and i will do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by grokka View Post
            I would get raw and roast them yourself. If you buy pre roasted, make sure there's no oils added. Roasting will diminish some of the phytic acid and other antinutrients.
            This. Alternatively, you could soak a handful or two of them overnight in lukewarm water with a pinch of sea salt and eat them the next day.

Comment

I tried roasting them lately, and they are just so much better tasting roasted than raw. I haven't even added salt yet, although thats a next step.

I also turned a roasted batch into macadamia nut butter. I added perhaps too much coconut oil to the batch so it had too much of that flavor, but it was still awesome.

From now on I am roasting my macadamias!

Comment

9 times out of 10 they will be roasted in an unhealthy oil.
                You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                  9 times out of 10 they will be roasted in an unhealthy oil.
                  For my situation, I roasted them myself in the oven in no oil - I get the impression it can self-roast in its own oil...

I wonder what would be a good oil to roast it in? Ghee?

Comment

We buy the Dry Roasted Mauna Loa Macadamia Nuts from Costco. The price is right and they are wonderful! Ingredients: Macadamia Nuts, Sea Salt. The only drawback, the company is owned by Hershey's.
                    My Blog: Healthy Living How To
                    sigpic

Comment

Roasted ones from Whole Foods are not time consuming (as making your own can be, esp. if you are already cooking every meal like most of us). There is NO added oil, and very lightly sea salted. Highly recommend these. The raw ones are okay, but not in comparison to carefully roasted ones!

Comment

I go for the dry roasted ones. Best deal I've found are the ones at Shaw's (New England supermarket), 6.5oz for $4. Not great but not bad. I just wish it wasn't so easy to plow through the whole jar; they don't often last very long.

Comment

Buy them raw, soak them yourself for a few hours, rinse them and soak them again for a few hours, toss them on a baking sheet and put them in the oven or a food dehydrator for a few hours at 150 degrees until they're dry. Now you have all the benefits of soaking AND roasting for phytate and lectin deactivation.

Or you could not eat nuts and eat something way tastier and way bigger for the same amount of calories, like coconut flour zucchini muffins which are frigging awesome, or coconut milk ice cream.
                          Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 09-06-2011, 03:17 PM.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Working...
                          X