Dark Chocolate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Chocolate

What kind of percentage am I looking for in the cocoa in dark chocolate? I see 90, 80, 73..... A little help!

The higher the better. Personally, my favorites are around 85%-90%
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

I got some 100% in France and love it. It's really a taste preference but for the nutrition aspect, the higher the better. Look out for milk powder, soy lecithin and sugar. I love cacao nibs too.
      Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

Comment

I used to prefer chocolate in the 70% range, but I've now trained myself to go darker. I now prefer it around 85%. A square or two of the extra dark stuff is all I need.

Comment

Anything under 99% is for babies....

I'm kidding.

It depends what you're used to? If you're coming from 60%, then try 75%... if you're coming from Dairy Milk then try 60% first. But yes, in terms of the "goodies", the higher the better
          Personally, I gnaw on a block of chef's cacao every now and again.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I bought a 90 and a 73. I will check em out! =)) In moderation of course! =P

Comment

Originally posted by GUN5LING3R View Post
              Thanks everyone. I bought a 90 and a 73. I will check em out! =)) In moderation of course! =P
              The one thing to remember is that dark chocolate is meant to -really- be enjoyed, so you might be in for a shock if you're used to eating sugary chocolate and just bite off a chunk of 90% and start chewing on it. Put a little piece in your mouth and let it melt slowly so you can really taste all the flavours. Hope you find a kind that you like!

Comment

I like panther bar 88% and lindt 85%. oh and also i like using baking 100% chocolate, a tiny amount of espresso and making ganache with heavy cream.

Comment

Originally posted by earthspirit View Post
                  I like panther bar 88% and lindt 85%. oh and also i like using baking 100% chocolate, a tiny amount of espresso and making ganache with heavy cream.
                  Mmmm... panther 88!

Had one of those this morning!

Comment

I like this answer. It's all relative. Very few people like the really dark stuff right off the bat -- it's an acquired taste... one that I am still working to acquire. I prefer 70%, but I can enjoy 85% if i'm really trying to keep the carbs super low. So for me, it also depends on what my dietary goals are.
                    42 yo female; 5'8"
                    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
                    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
                    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
                    Goal weight: 145 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by bokbadok View Post
                      So for me, it also depends on what my dietary goals are.
                      Same here. I usually stick with 85% plus, but if I feel like something lower won't hold me back, I'll go ahead and splurge on fun flavours, which tend to be lower percentages.

If you really want to indulge every now and then, these companies have excellent flavours, and I've seen them at several walmarts, so they're a nice option for people like me who live in remote places without access to whole foods/trader joe's:
                      http://store.nexternal.com/chuao/chocolate-bars-c5.aspx - I've tried the spicy maya and coffee & anise bars, which are both delicious.
                      http://www.newtree.com/page.php?p1=289&language=en-US - I've only seen the 65% ones at walmart. They're good every now and then, but too sweet to eat regularly (in my opinion). I've had the superfruit and the flax seed/crisped rice one. I really like the flax in it, but the rice is just kind of bleh.
                      http://www.hageland-chocolate.com/ - I used to really like the pear and almond, but now I feel that it's just too sweet. The darker bars are nice, although I can't recommend a specific one as I've not had one for ages.

Endangered Species bars are really nice, too, but I've never seen them at walmart.

Comment

To benefit from the antioxidants you want a minimum of 70%. The rest is a matter of individual taste.

Comment

Originally posted by O_O View Post
                          To benefit from the antioxidants you want a minimum of 70%. The rest is a matter of individual taste.
                          Ah, didn't know that. It's hard for me to think of anything lower than 70% as dark chocolate now that my tastes have changed. I tend to just eat it for the the sake of how enjoyable it is, though.

Comment

I <3 Lindt's 90%. Of course, I had to work my way up from 60% For now, though, 90 is the new 60!
                            Results Pics:
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d6138-245.html

Mandolin's Primammalian Cave Wall

Vegetarian=an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter"

iHerb.com $5 off first order code: AMA998

Comment

I just got a bar of Vosges 62% dark chocolate WITH BACON AND SEA SALT. Highly recommended. I know the % isn't as high as some people like, but did I mention it has bacon?

Comment

Working...
                              X