Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to tell Mom "no thank you"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to tell Mom "no thank you"?

    Bless my mom's heart, she baked the family a loaf of bread (to add to the 'ah' moment, she is legally blind w/macular degeneration).

    I know it was done out of love but I'm afraid if I don't put a stop to it now, she will continue to make us bread (which I don't want my family to eat).

    Does anyone have a suggestion on how to politely explain to her that we're trying to go grain-free and can't have her bread? Maybe that's all i have to say... But the truth is I do allow my DD to bake our bread but it is using soaked flour, the WAPF way.

    Thanks

    Karen

  • #2
    I wouldn't tell your mom not to do that. Allow her to enjoy her baking, tell her it's delicious, but give it to someone who does eat it. If my mom were still alive and she baked me a loaf of bread, that is what I would do.
    Georgette

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't have advice, only sympathy. My dad has been making BUCKETS of applesauce for my sister and I for years....ever since my mom died. I thank him for it, and genuinely appreciate the gesture, bu I honestly throw it all away. I feel bad doing it, but I don't eat it. It is a nice activity for him, makes him less lonely for my mom, and he feels like he is doing something nice for his kids. He is not in great health and has some dementia.

      Anyway - hopefully you can find a better solution then we have.....
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

      http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

      Comment


      • #4
        Surely there is someone you know who would appreciate applesauce? I wouldnt throw it away!!!

        And I would do the same, take the bread and regift it. Unless you think it is unsafe or too expensive for her to be making bread.
        MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

        "When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

        Comment


        • #5
          The way I'd go after it:
          Take a taste/ slice. Y'know because she DID put all that effort and love into it. Next time I talk to Mom-
          "Mom, that bread was wonderful. I love that you went through so much effort to make us something homemade even though you didn't have to. We appreciate it, but we generally don't do well with grains. I can show you/ bake with you several breads that don't have grain, if you want. They're actually pretty tasty." And proceed to show/ make a day of the various PB friendly "breads".
          Then again, my family's.... odd.
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
          My Latest Journal

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jammies View Post
            I don't have advice, only sympathy. My dad has been making BUCKETS of applesauce for my sister and I for years....ever since my mom died. I thank him for it, and genuinely appreciate the gesture, bu I honestly throw it all away. I feel bad doing it, but I don't eat it. It is a nice activity for him, makes him less lonely for my mom, and he feels like he is doing something nice for his kids. He is not in great health and has some dementia.

            Anyway - hopefully you can find a better solution then we have.....
            Jammies, give it to someone who would eat it instead of throwing it out. I'm sure you could find someone who would eat it. I hate seeing old people sad and food go to waste, no matter how you look at it.
            Georgette

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
              The way I'd go after it:
              Take a taste/ slice. Y'know because she DID put all that effort and love into it. Next time I talk to Mom-
              "Mom, that bread was wonderful. I love that you went through so much effort to make us something homemade even though you didn't have to. We appreciate it, but we generally don't do well with grains. I can show you/ bake with you several breads that don't have grain, if you want. They're actually pretty tasty." And proceed to show/ make a day of the various PB friendly "breads".
              Then again, my family's.... odd.
              If I did that, my mom would have beaten my ass. Even though I will admit that I don't do well with grains, giving up homemade bread would kill me.
              Georgette

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by geostump View Post
                Jammies, give it to someone who would eat it instead of throwing it out. I'm sure you could find someone who would eat it. I hate seeing old people sad and food go to waste, no matter how you look at it.
                I would give it away, but I am a little afraid to. He is not always very good about keeping things clean anymore and doesn't always refrigerate things that should be. He has never gotten sick from his food, but I am sooooo afraid someone will give it to their kids and then get sick. Maybe I am being overly paranoid about this?
                Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

                http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

                Comment


                • #9
                  I honestly don't know that I'd turn down anything homemade by Mom. I'd wonder who the hell had killed and replaced Mom, because they were doing a spectacularly bad job. My mother doesn't do ANYTHING completely from scratch. Ever. Even her chciken n' dumplins', homemade, has bouillion cubes abd tube o' biscuit dough.
                  I've made that offer with my grandfather, though, (the family baker) and we're meeting up for a day of PB baking next time I'm down there.
                  Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                  My Latest Journal

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jammies View Post
                    I would give it away, but I am a little afraid to. He is not always very good about keeping things clean anymore and doesn't always refrigerate things that should be. He has never gotten sick from his food, but I am sooooo afraid someone will give it to their kids and then get sick. Maybe I am being overly paranoid about this?
                    Oh,well that is a different story. Nobody needs ecolisauce
                    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

                    "When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                      I honestly don't know that I'd turn down anything homemade by Mom. I'd wonder who the hell had killed and replaced Mom, because they were doing a spectacularly bad job. My mother doesn't do ANYTHING completely from scratch. Ever. Even her chciken n' dumplins', homemade, has bouillion cubes abd tube o' biscuit dough.
                      I've made that offer with my grandfather, though, (the family baker) and we're meeting up for a day of PB baking next time I'm down there.
                      My mom made everything from scratch. That's very cool your grandfather wants to see how you bake now. I think that's awesome.

                      Well if you aren't too sure about the safety of his stuff then jammies, just let him keep making it and toss it out.
                      Georgette

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Ask her to make sourdough.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          My mom loves people with food too. I've told her many times that we're not doing sweets or bread, and she doesn't get it. Sad because my dad is very diabetic and very heavy. She loves him too by feeding him all the stuff he shouldn't eat, and he just shoots up insulin to deal with it. It kills me, but neither of them will listen.

                          I'm just thankful I have them both in my life, even if they do love me and my family with food.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by duckmama View Post
                            My mom loves people with food too. I've told her many times that we're not doing sweets or bread, and she doesn't get it. Sad because my dad is very diabetic and very heavy. She loves him too by feeding him all the stuff he shouldn't eat, and he just shoots up insulin to deal with it. It kills me, but neither of them will listen.

                            I'm just thankful I have them both in my life, even if they do love me and my family with food.
                            We may have the same parents
                            Results Pics:
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d6138-245.html

                            Mandolin's Primammalian Cave Wall

                            Vegetarian=an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter"

                            iHerb.com $5 off first order code: AMA998

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X