Bacon fat and calories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacon fat and calories

If one of my primary goals is to drop the pounds and I'm cooking with bacon fat..... How do I count that within a food tracker? I found one entry for it in dailyplate that said it was 250 calories for 2 tablespoons - that is a lot! If I'm trying to eat fat and stick to 1500 calories per day, it seems like I need to also cut down a bit on the fat also?

Thoughts?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Primal Journal

250 sounds about right for that much fat. it will be the same for anything else...butter, olive oil, etc.
    1500 calories a day is pretty low. is that enough energy for you to exercise and function?
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I usually accounted for one tablespoon of oil calorie wise if I used it to cook with, whether it was bacon fat or some other oil.

Comment

If you are still cutting calories and going low-carb, the idea is that fat is more satiating than carbohydrates, and also that eating fat rather than carbohydrates will help to stabilize your blood sugar and keep the cravings to a minimum. 1500 cal does seem to be a very small amount, but do whatever gives you results while still providing enough energy.
        my primal journal:
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

I know that fat is going to help me stay fuller longer, less snacks, etc... but at the end of the day the weight loss is still calories in - calories out and if I have that as a normal meal on a given day and then 2 other meals, I'm going way above the 1500!

The 1500 comes from dailyplate - I need about 2000 calories a day and so taking away the 500 gives me roughly 1500 to play with.

I'm 5'3", 155 lbs, sit a desk most of the day.
          My Primal Journal

Comment

Yes, weightloss IS calories in calories out, but there is no way to measure how many calories are actually going into your body (well.. I guess - how many they are actually using and how they are functioning). This isn't the best example primal-wise, but.. say you had the choice between bread and bread with olive oil - it would be a better choice to choose the olive oil because the oil slows calorie absorption and you are actually consuming (not the right word, sorry) less calories.. even though olive oil adds an extra 200 cals.

Have you read PB yet? If so, Gary Taubes if your next stop..

Comment

Why would you be having two tablespoons of bacon fat as a meal? Did you mean you use it to cook your food in? Because one tablespoon would be plenty to cook with, and that would only be 125 calories. I guess I'm confused....1500-250= 1250....that's plenty of calories left over for two meals, no?
              $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

Yes I am cooking with it sorry... so I basically make 2 slices of bacon first... then in the same pan with the bacon fat in it I put in 3 eggs, organic chicken sausage, spinach and mushrooms.... I estimated 2 tablespoons but I always overestimate So that whole meal comes to almost 800 calories!
                My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by tanyahk View Post
                  I know that fat is going to help me stay fuller longer, less snacks, etc... but at the end of the day the weight loss is still calories in - calories out and if I have that as a normal meal on a given day and then 2 other meals, I'm going way above the 1500!

The 1500 comes from dailyplate - I need about 2000 calories a day and so taking away the 500 gives me roughly 1500 to play with.

I'm 5'3", 155 lbs, sit a desk most of the day.
                  keep in mind, you don't need to add fat. you can eat veggies raw or steam them and still be primal. the case for fat has a lot to do with satiety and taste (plus health benefits), but it's not absolutely necessary at all.

a lot of the comments about calories are right. reading through the Primal Blueprint and Gary Taubes is a good idea. calorie recommendations from websites like dailyplate or fitday are helpful at the outset i think, but remember the diet that those are based on. i think if you aim for 1500 calories primal and go over, you'll still see some pretty good results.
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Primalrob - you are right, I should probably focus a bit more on watching my fat intake if I am really trying to shed the weight.... not saying eliminate it, but maybe 1 piece of bacon instead of 2, 2 eggs instead of 3, etc... that way I still am getting the good stuff in but not at such a high quantity level...

Is being low carb/low fat a bit more on point for people really focused on dropping weight as a goal then? (I'm afraid for my life on this one, please don't rip my head off people!)
                    My Primal Journal

Comment

No, low carb and low fat is often referred to as "faileo" around here. Diet websites suggest caloric intakes based on CW dieting--cut calories, eat low fat, and so on--and are based on a starvation diet model. PB involves eating fats--they create satiety and are important for health, and they should be constituting a large part of your intake (people disagree on percentages, but usually 50% or more of your calories). Mark's carb curve illustrates the PB approach to weight loss: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...ate-continuum/

Have you read the book yet? At the very least, spend some time reading through the PB 101 posts here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/
                      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I have read the book and understand everything. It makes sense to me and is very logical. But when you have a goal to loose weight and it isn't happening, emotions take over I know that eating this way means a bit of tweaking... I have dropped dairy to see how this will help me. I'm looking for other options that I can tweak to get to my goals and this seems logical to me... not really low fat but LOWER fat..... some people here eat spoonfuls of coconut oil, eat butter by chewing off of the stick, etc.... I just want to find my balance wondering if lowering the fat intake can help me.
                        My Primal Journal

Comment

There's a lot of other things I would cut before cutting bacon fat. I don't think the fat from 2 slices is really that much.

Comment

Yes I am cooking with it sorry... so I basically make 2 slices of bacon first... then in the same pan with the bacon fat in it I put in 3 eggs, organic chicken sausage, spinach and mushrooms.... I estimated 2 tablespoons but I always overestimate So that whole meal comes to almost 800 calories!
                            I'd try IF'ing and only having two large meals a day so you're not so worried about the calories. Might that work?
                            $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

... not really low fat but LOWER fat..... some people here eat spoonfuls of coconut oil, eat butter by chewing off of the stick, etc.... I just want to find my balance wondering if lowering the fat intake can help me.
                              I was about to say this
                              Kuno1chi found a while back that she couldn't do the fat-crazy thing, for example.

I'd try cutting down on added fat - so cooking fat, salad drizzle - but not "incidental" fat. So keep the eggs, meat etc!
                              The meal you gave as an example - does that keep you full for a long time? Might the 2 meals a day someone just suggested be sufficient?

Comment

Working...
                              X