Haiti for 1 week and off PB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiti for 1 week and off PB

So I'm off to Haiti for a week ~ very very excited! I'll be helping to build a house for 2 families and I think the whole experience is going to be great!

The organization I am going with (www.pidonline.org) provides 3 meals a day.... and obviously we can't pick them.

A sample menu was on their site and some examples are:

Breakfast: coffee, cereal, milk and fresh fruit. Also a hot breakfast (i.e. pancakes or eggs)
    Lunch: Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
    Dinner: A mix of American and host country meals (i.e. spaghetti with meatballs, chicken with rice and beans)

So it looks like I won't have many choices but to be off of PB for the week. There aren't many things I can bring with me other than nuts that will stay fresh for the trip.

So I guess my question is, only being on PB a short time, will this mess up the progress I've made on PB? Is this really terrible or just a small blip and things should be fine when I get back?

Anyone been through this and have any ideas or suggestions on food I may be able to bring with me?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Primal Journal

I wouldn't worry to much. You'll be using up a lot of fuel while helping build the homes.

I would just make the best choices you can with what you're offered. Perhaps you could bring a quality no sugar added whey protein isolate powder with you. They can be mixed with their bottled water.

Comment

And good for you on helping in Haiti!

Comment

Originally posted by O_O View Post
        Perhaps you could bring a quality no sugar added whey protein isolate powder with you. They can be mixed with their bottled water.
        FANTASTIC idea! I have some that I have started using yet.... I think that will work well! Ya I figured we would be doing 8 hours of manual labor so that would burn off (fingers crossed) whatever I eat and more!
        My Primal Journal

Comment

Don't worry you'll burn up those carbs!

Comment

As a precaution I'd bring some psyllium seed husks. This will help slow digestion and reduce the impact of foods like white bread.

If you take it I'd use a Tbsp a day with a cup of water along with additional water. Without adequate water it can be binding in some.

Comment

Oh don't we have it good.

http://worldfocus.org/blog/2009/02/1...e-of-mud/4120/

Comment

[QUOTE=O_O;335766]As a precaution I'd bring some psyllium seed husks. [QUOTE]

Interesting I've never heard of these before! I just looked it up on Wiki.... where do you buy them? It seems they are in other laxative type products but I'm not sure where you would buy them on their own?
                My Primal Journal

Comment

One word of caution on psyllium....you might want to give it a try before you leave, since it can have paradoxical effects, causing diarrhea in some and constipation in others.
                  Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                  Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

I've used it daily for years without any issue. I buy pure psyllium seed husks at the grocery store. It is in the natural food section. If you decide to try it and they don't have it you can get it at a health food store.

Comment

I used it for many years too (pre-primal) but it's just the transition period that can be rough for some people.
                      Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                      Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Good for you!! I know you will have a wonderful fulfilling experience and that the people you help will appreciate what you do tremendously.

I went to Haiti last summer and had some trepidation about the food also. I brought sardines and jerky with me, but ended up giving away more of it than I ate. Our meals were prepared by some of the locals and while they weren't totally Primal, they were delicious!

For breakfast they usually had bananas and peanut butter, which I attacked, and also pancakes (which I avoided) and oatmeal (which I tried, but it didn't agree with me).
                        Usually I skipped lunch when it was provided since it most of the time involved wheat (pasta, bread, etc.)
                        Dinner was rice and sometimes beans with a piece of meat or fish (sometimes breaded, but I let it slide). I loaded up on the rice and beans since they were relatively plentiful.

Even though I was eating way higher carb than was usual for me, I ended up losing a lot of weight that week, a lot of it due to diarrhea near the end of the trip, but also I think I was just eating a lot less than I normally do.

I guess I'm being somewhat contradictory since I went into such great detail about the food, but try not to really worry about it. It doesn't really matter that much. I'm sure that once you get there and start working, your focus will be on much more interesting and important things. Have a safe and awesome trip!

Comment

Ok I'll look into it. I have severe bathroom issues (sorry for the TMI!) where I never go..... Ever. Anything that can help me go is awesome... But usually stops working eventually. I hadn't heard of this through all of my research and meds though so I will check it out!
                          My Primal Journal

Comment

Yodiewan - thank you!! I'm so looking forward to the trip! I plan on bringing tons of nuts to snack on And some protein powder that was suggested. You are right with all the work I'll be doing it should burn off the carbs I end up eating. My thought is to take the most meat I can from the buffet style meals that I can.lunch will be hard because it is on the worksite and always PB&J.... So I'll have to deal with that I guess.

Any thoughts on grain options that are the least evil? Like having rice instead of pasta or something like that? I know whole wheat is better always but im thinking if I have pasta, rice and beans as options - which is the best of the 3 to take?
                            My Primal Journal

Comment

Of the three, I'd definitely go for rice first. Then beans. (I ate a lot of rice and beans in Haiti). Then pasta/wheat as a last resort. Also, whole grains aren't really healthier than the refined white versions. The bran of grains is where most of the anti-nutrients are contained so removing it can actually make them less harmful (this is the case with white rice). I base this mostly on what I've heard about the level of anti-nutrients and other damaging compounds in grains. Dr. Kurt Harris made some posts recently about how he ranks starches based on this. And Mark has discussed rice recently:

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...tes-revis.html
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-rice-unhealthy/

Comment

Working...
                              X