Mussels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mussels

I just had mussels for the first time and they were soooo good...just ate them plain, dipped in their own broth. They looked disgusting so I was a little scared, but I'm a big-time sushi connoisseur so I'm used to scary seafood lol. Anyone eat them any other way besides plain? I felt like they really didn't need anything. They were just a cheap kind from Fry's too...good stuff, guys
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
    --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
    --Hyperlithic

Cioppino... YUM! They are also used a lot in traditional Sicilian food... or at least in *my* family's traditional Sicilian food LOL But I have to admit, my favorite is your way.... lots of garlic and butter in the broth and YUMMO!

Comment

I love mussels! They're great steamed in coconut milk. Here is an example recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...lk-recipe.html (though I haven't cooked this exact one).

Comment

Mmmm, those both sound really good, especially the garlic! I wish I had more, I ate the whole box of them lol
        --John Muir

--Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
        --Hyperlithic

Comment

The steamed mussels recipe in the free reader-created cookbook is pretty close to a dish my family makes, except there's no tomato. So it's garlic, white wine, well mostly that, hehe. Used to sop up the broth/brine with bread or rice, now I just drink it straight.

Comment

Garlic, Butter, & Chives

Comment

Ginger, garlic, chilies, coconut milk, fresh cilantro.

Comment

At the restaurant I used to work we served them in a compound Bagna cŕuda butter made with garlic, anchovies, chili peppers, parsley, and olive oil.

Comment

Cook in white wine covered till they open, toss in some seasoned tomatoes and eat once warm. Mussels are fantastic!
                  "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
                  -J.Stanton

Comment

I do them this way. Beer once in a while, like this, is not going to hurt!

Comment

Love mussels. There are loads of ways of cooking them but the old fashioned moules mariniere is my favourite!

http://101things.wordpress.com/2006/...les-mariniere/

Comment

Moules mariničre. mmmm :-)

Comment

4 strips bacon (cut into small pieces)
                          1 can diced tomatoes (drained, juice reserved)
                          1/2 onion - chopped
                          1 red pepper - chopped
                          chicken broth
                          white wine
                          ~2 tsp Ms Dash BBQ grilling blend (zesty)
                          1/2 tsp Smoked Chipotle powder (adjust to your taste)
                          2 lbs mussels

In a large skillet sautee bacon and onion till onion is translucent. Drain if necessary. Add red pepper, sautee for another minute or 2 (depends on how finely you chopped it and how done you like it). Add tomatoe and cook until you can smell it get 'carmel-y'. If at any point things start to stick add a splash of white wine or chicken broth. When veggies are tender, add a generous splash of white wine and add chicken broth and/or tomatoe juice. Bring to a boil. The mussels will release juice of their own, so I make sure it's not too brothy at this point, but enough to toss the mussels in. Add the mussels and toss with the veggie and broth mixture, cover and steam for 5 minutes. Discard any unopened mussels. Serves 2 or 3.

I like simple mussels too, but I'm a big fan of 1-dish meals and this is a really hearty dish and packs a nice subtle heat. You can use other seasoning mixtures, but I included the one I use for reference. This works just as well with clams and they don't need to be de-bearded or sorted like mussels. Just soak them in cold water for 20 minutes prior to cooking and they will spit out any grit they may still have.

I've been itching to try this with that eggplant pizza crust that someone referenced. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by kbn1 View Post
                            Ginger, garlic, chilies, coconut milk, fresh cilantro.
                            Garlic, coconut milk, AND cilantro??? Holy shit that sounds orgasmic!
                            --John Muir

--Tommy Caldwell

--Hyperlithic

Comment

Working...
                            X