Which Coconut Milk in the UK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Coconut Milk in the UK

I bought some coconut milk and noticed on the label that it isn't really coconut milk. The ingredients are:
    coconut extract, water, stabilisers, guar gum and then another 6 very un-natural chemical ingredients.

UK PB'ers where do you buy your coconut milk and which brand do you use?

I can tell you to avoid Asda's like the plague, also the one in the orange label from "ethnic" stores.....
    Blue Dragon was pricey but ok.
    But I've not bought any for ages now...

Comment

The stuff I've got at the moment is from Tesco's ethnic food section, it's labelled chaokoh coconut milk, it's 79p and contains coconut extract, water and citric acid.

It's not perfect but it's the best I've seen in the local supermarkets so far, although I do need to check out a couple of the Chinese supermarkets!

Comment

I've found that I read the labels and end up buying blocks of coconut cream which I dissolve in boiling water. Don't know if it is pure coconut but I think it is. It makes super cocoa with some cinnamon added!!!

Comment

I go to the 99p store and get two cans for my money. It only has coconut milk in it no other stabilizers or gum!
          tastes goos especially when made into ice cream!

Comment

Runningwild - do you remember the brand name?

Comment

I always use blue dragon but it's twice as expensive as other brands. You can usually find cheap coconut milk in Indian stores.

Comment

will check when i get home and let you know

Comment

I also use Blue Dragon Organic Coconut Milk. It's only extra ingredient is Guar Gum.
                  Registry Fixer

Comment

I bought quite a few (20ish) cans of "Dunn's River" coconut milk from Asda but it was a few months ago. 50p a can.

Ingredients are coconut meat extract, water!

It was on the Caribean products shelf. It's parent company is Enco Products Limited. They have a website.
                    You can also make coconut milk from "creamed coconut" which you can also get from Asda (KTC brand). I think that is on the Indian shelf. It's something like 38p a block.

Comment

[QUOTE=mozzy10;338324]I bought quite a few (20ish) cans of "Dunn's River" coconut milk from Asda but it was a few months ago. 50p a can.

Ingredients are coconut meat extract, water!

I also buy Dunn's River, at tesco - 50p for a can. Caribbean products shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by runningwild View Post
                        I go to the 99p store and get two cans for my money. It only has coconut milk in it no other stabilizers or gum!
                        tastes goos especially when made into ice cream!
                        Would that be 'Island Sun' brand? 2 cans for 99p, ingredients 'coconut extract, water'. But only 6% fat - can that be right?

Comment

Island sun is the one i get

Comment

Thanks runningwild and Hilary - I'll look out for it

Comment

My local Tesco hasn't had Dunn's River for ages. I used to buy trays of it at a time!

How is coconut milk made from creamed coconut? Is it not lumpy?

Comment

Working...
                              X