Roasted or Raw? Salted or Not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roasted or Raw? Salted or Not?

I like nuts but I've never been a particularly big consumer of them; now that I'm starting down the primal path, though, I need to replace the "Nature Valley Granola Bars" that I use as work snacks with something, well... a little more Primal!

Nuts seem like the obvious choice, but I'm wondering - obviously, Grok would have been eating nothing but raw nuts, but I'm way more drawn to salted, roasted ones.

Would I be losing anything significant in going roasted & salted over raw?

I do roasted nut butters mostly, but I do like raw too. It is my understanding there is not a whole lot of difference nutritionally.

Comment

Some wise food tradition people talk about soaking and then drying/ dehydrating. But if you can find roasted nuts without added yuck-oil, why not?

There's also jerky as another option, and cooked meat. And you may find you lose interest in snacks anyway, after a while.

Comment

I would recommend dropping the snack all-together. You'll find that the more "primal" you eat, the less you need to eat things in-between your meals.

If you feel you *must* have a snack, opt for something like beef jerky. Nuts (aside from macadamia) don't do you any favors as far as n-3:n:6 goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary View Post
          There's also jerky as another option, and cooked meat. And you may find you lose interest in snacks anyway, after a while.
          This.

Comment

I'd be all for dropping the snack, but I don't want to sabotage myself by eating too little over the course of the day. In my pre-Primal regimen I didn't eat breakfast, would get into the office around 7:30 AM and have my one cup of coffee of the day, and then some time between 8 and 11, I would have two granola bars. Lunch at 1, usually, then dinner at 7-ish. Sounds like I should maybe trade my mid-morning snack in on breakfast?

Comment

Working...
            X