Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I killing my husband?

Hello -

I've been Primal a little over 3 months.....I eat loads of meat, butter, and oils. My husband also eats these things, since I am cooking for everyone. But, he will never convert to primal, and give up his junk food .

What I am wondering is......Is all this extra fat going to be worse for him, because he is still eating tons of grains and sugar?

Thanks for any input on this subject.

Yes. As I understand it, mixing fat + carbs is a recipe for disaster. It's a huge increase in calories and your body is primed to store all of it.

Comment

That's what I was afraid of. How do other's here deal with this?

He's not gonna be happy when I am eating a Rib-eye with butter, and he gets a skinless chicken breast. I wish I could convert him, but he thinks I'm crazy.....and he is very close minded.

You would think after seeing me lose 25 lbs eating such great food, he would be at least a little open to the idea.

Comment

But fat also increases satiety, so you don't want to eat as much. As long as he's not gaining weight it should be fine.

Comment

What about health? Will he read GCBC, or Why We Get Fat? Show him this study:

http://med.stanford.edu/news_release...arch/diet.html

I know carbs can be a dicey subject around here, but I think the fact that populations were cancer, heart disease, and diabetes free, until they encountered sugar and grain, is pretty noteworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Nik View Post

He's not gonna be happy when I am eating a Rib-eye with butter, and he gets a skinless chicken breast. I wish I could convert him, but he thinks I'm crazy.....and he is very close minded.

You would think after seeing me lose 25 lbs eating such great food, he would be at least a little open to the idea.
            My fiance is the same way. I lost 17lbs in a month, increased my bench press, and started to do pullups again, but she still thinks I'm crazy. She's a vegetarian and sort of angry that I dropped vegetarianism after 3 years. Only to exist on a diet consisting mostly of meat.

Comment

Believe me....I've tried to relay everything I've learned to him. He is uninterested, and doesn't even seem to care about his health. It's sad really.....so many people in my life are like this. Including my dad. I don't think they will change, until they get diabetes or have a heart attack. Stubborn ass men I have in my life!

I guess I'm just wondering if since he won't change his diet, if I need to look out for him, by not using so much butter and other fats in his food.

Comment

Tell him that he has to read Mark's book. Tell him you're not going to make, or buy, any more of his junky grainy crap until he does, and tells you what it says.
                Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
                  Tell him that he has to read Mark's book. Tell him you're not going to make, or buy, any more of his junky grainy crap until he does, and tells you what it says.
                  That would be great.....if he read. He hasn't read a book in probably 15 years, if ever. You see I am married to a stubborn country boy, who likes his beer and bread.....and there's nothing anybody can say or do about it. I actually don't buy a lot of stuff he would like me to buy.....I told him if he wants it, he can go buy it. I can't do it. I feel like I'm poisioning him. He loves Ramen noodles.....I said "no more".....if you want them, you go to the store.

Comment

On another board, a woman came to the conclusion that she should just buy a good life insurance policy on her current husband to enjoy with her next one, since her current one had no interest in eating or doing anything healthy.
                    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

This is really tough. Fact is you can't force someone to learn, read or change. And some people really are that stubborn, but the decision really is his.

What you can control is you, and if you feel strongly about it, maybe just say that you'll cook a healthy dinner (steak, veggies all that), but that the rest of the meals, he's on his own, and if he wants to garbage, he'll have to buy it himself.

You may have to just be the example, and not really harp on it much if he's the SUPER stubborn type that responds to anything he feels is "coersion" by digging his heels in no matter what. At some point he may start seeing what you're doing and change a thing here or there... but on his own terms.

He does have the right to make his own decisions, but that doesn't mean you need to support it or be involved in it. Who knows, maybe if he has to go out and get all that stuff himself, he won't bother because it's too much trouble.
                      sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

That would be great.....if he read. He hasn't read a book in probably 15 years, if ever. You see I am married to a stubborn country boy, who likes his beer and bread.....and there's nothing anybody can say or do about it. I actually don't buy a lot of stuff he would like me to buy.....I told him if he wants it, he can go buy it. I can't do it. I feel like I'm poisioning him. He loves Ramen noodles.....I said "no more".....if you want them, you go to the store.
                        Given the choice between you putting your foot down, and him reading one book, he won't cave? Then that's his problem - but don't make any of the things he wants anymore. Don't buy any of the bad foods. If he wants them, make him buy them himself.
                        Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

That's funny......we do have a good insurance policy. It's one of his jokes with me.....that I'm going to try and get rid of him to get the money! Of course I would rather have a healthy husband forever, than any amount of money!

Wish I could get through to him.

Comment

I would try an experiment: give him as much fat as you can, and plenty plenty of protein, and do not cook anything weird. In other words, buttery steak, sweet potatoes w/ tons of butter, big pile of collard greens, whatever "comfort foods" you know he loves that don't involve grains ... as much as he can have; let him have it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if he'd like. If, after two months, he hasn't naturally decreased the amount of sweet & grainy stuff he eats, only then would I consider a different course.

If you can get him at least to do a blood pressure test at the grocery store at the beginning and end of the trial you're not telling him about, that might let you know if it's helping or hurting him.
                            5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                            Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                            Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                            Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                            ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Originally posted by Minxxa View Post
                              This is really tough. Fact is you can't force someone to learn, read or change. And some people really are that stubborn, but the decision really is his.

What you can control is you, and if you feel strongly about it, maybe just say that you'll cook a healthy dinner (steak, veggies all that), but that the rest of the meals, he's on his own, and if he wants to garbage, he'll have to buy it himself.

You may have to just be the example, and not really harp on it much if he's the SUPER stubborn type that responds to anything he feels is "coersion" by digging his heels in no matter what. At some point he may start seeing what you're doing and change a thing here or there... but on his own terms.

He does have the right to make his own decisions, but that doesn't mean you need to support it or be involved in it. Who knows, maybe if he has to go out and get all that stuff himself, he won't bother because it's too much trouble.
                              You got it.....that's him exactly. Although, I really can't just not buy him any of the food that he likes. He works 60-70 hours a week, and I think I owe him at least picking up his food. I just won't cook it :P

Comment

Working...
                              X