Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Kurt Harris on VLC

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...ketosis-i.html

Dr. Harris has changed his viewpoint on carbs and has adopted a very similar diet to PerfectHealthDiet.

Paleosphere is slowly shifting from carbophobia to a balanced approach.

Hooray!

Comment

Yes, I read that too. I wad intrigued that he put pulses ahead of fruit! I don't eat pulses now, but why are they better than fruit?

And I have started eating potato again some time ago, so I am really pleased that he thinks they are OK. I find my digestion is better with potato.

Comment

I think carbohydrate should vary by goals and activity level, plus current state of health.

As Dr. Harris says in his article, people who are diabetic or overweight may be better off going very low on the carbs. People who are healthy and more physically active, or trying to build muscle, could probably do with a bit more carbs in their diet.

A lot of people here seem to ignore the fact that Mark himself recommends 100-150g of carbs per day for maintenance mode!
        Kriskris.com

Comment

Is fiber intake taken into consideration in Mark's recommendation?
          Last edited by O_O; 02-07-2011, 08:27 AM. Reason: to add to it

Comment

Originally posted by O_O View Post
            Is fiber intake taken into consideration?
            No. Fiber does not provide glucose to the body. It only converts to fats. So fiber is not part of carbs.
            Fiber intake like carb intake should not be too hign, it is beneficial in moderation. Insoluble fiber is best avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by krassi View Post
              As Dr. Harris says in his article, people who are diabetic or overweight may be better off going very low on the carbs. [/I]
              Most people are coming from a diabetic or overweight background to the paleo world and have seen how VLC approach benefits them. This they mistake to be the best thing for all times. VLC is good only till the body moves away from a perpetual high carb state to a low carb state. Once the state is achieved, ie all excess liver and muscle glycogen is used up, then it is best to move to a middle ground, keeping a check on the glucose response.

Comment

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
                I wad intrigued that he put pulses ahead of fruit! I don't eat pulses now, but why are they better than fruit?
                No he does not say they are better. He just lists in the order he thinks causes most problem. Probably some people eat too much fruits thinking it is good for you.
                Eliminating fruit is not a goal, but eliminating legumes is. I guess he is coming from the point of view that too much of sugar is bad for you even if it comes from fruits. Excess of fruits is worse than legumes in moderation.
                Last edited by Anand Srivastava; 02-07-2011, 03:32 AM.

Comment

From blog post:

The only thing that made me change my carbohydrate intake was a dramatic increase in physical work requirement.
                  That's wtf a few of us here have been saying for a while and more often than not get perpetually shut down. I think what ends up happening (that makes people gain once they up their carbs) is they over-estimate how much work output they have so they over eat IN GENERAL which leads to weight gain. I think a half a sweet potato everyday, or a full one every other day is sufficient for people that are working out more than 3x a week. I think if you're truly only engaging in deliberate physical activity twice a week with decent intensity you may just need that sweet potato (or squash, etc) on that workout day and if you're really carb-sensitive (or just are scared of carbs) you can just do half a sweet potato not a whole one.

I find it interesting that he went for a completely nutritional devoid food like toasted white rice, would seem to me he would choose something with nutrients but sometimes the geekiest paleo-heads make the oddest choices.
                  I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                    I think a half a sweet potato everyday, or a full one every other day is sufficient for people that are working out more than 3x a week.
                    A one pound sweet potato has about 300 calories of starch. When I'm working out, I like to shoot for 500-600 carb calories. I could eat two full sweet potatoes every day and meet the PB guideline. Realistically, I like variety, but potato phobia has me stumped, too. Atkins hangover, maybe?

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                    I find it interesting that he went for a completely nutritional devoid food like toasted white rice, would seem to me he would choose something with nutrients but sometimes the geekiest paleo-heads make the oddest choices.
                    My read is that he thinks the biggest benefit comes from avoiding toxins and that white rice, while not nutritious, is at least a non-toxic source of starch.

It appears that he thinks that legumes are less toxic than fructose. I'd be interested in knowing why, since we clearly evolved to handle small amounts of fructose without harm. My understanding is that the glucose/fructose ratio common in fruit is optimal for liver conversion efficiency. I generally eat fruit for my post workout refueling for that very reason. Have I misunderstood things?

Gordo

Comment

Interesting blog post. Harris has been giving me a lot to think about lately...glad he's back in the paleo blogosphere!

He referenced Stephan's 'set point' theory which has been dancing around in my brain lately...a very interesting concept.
                      Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

I do a pretty low carb paleo due to health reasons, but I probably don't maintain VLC for too long. I do find I balance out well with a bit of potatoes or a few carbs here or there, but I also find that it is a very fine line. I can easily let carbs creep in with alcohol, sugar, 'treats', dairy, and so on if I am not careful. So I tend to rotate from VLC (25g and under), to a maintenance of 100g a day. When I start craving too much, hypoglycemia symptoms, or my health issues pop up, then I rotate back down to VLC, after a few weeks I slowly add in some reasonable carbs and try and balance it out again. I do better maintaining if I don't stick to super low carb for extended periods. While I don't have a weight issue, I am dealing with a lifetime of probably candida issues and food allergies....so the sugar monster has to be kept in control.

My husband on the other hand does okay with moderate carb levels and a more 80% approach. He does not lose weight as easily on VLC (he has to be zero carb for a couple weeks to really enter ketosis), so he usually opts to just reduce calories in general. I have to be careful as sometimes I try and make him conform to my personal ideal carb levels, when those maybe are not ideal for him.
                        Erin
                        Daily Vlogs
                        Primal Pets Blog

Comment

When I asked if fiber intake was taken into consideration I meant to say does he consider total carbs or digestible carbs (deducting fiber)?

Comment

O_O, *Mark*, in the PB, counts all carbs in his recommendations, net and fiber, etc. So if something has 6 grams carbs but 3 are from fiber, he'd count that as still taking in 6 grams carbs.

HTH!
                            My Before/After Pics
                            Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X