No announcement yet.

Coconut Oil and my Skin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When low-fat was the rage and my mother would try to reduce the use of fat in cooking, my now late 70+ yo grandma would say it was the fat in our food that gave us good skin, and would use lots of ghee and coconut in her cooking. Something has to be said about traditional wisdom!

Comment

maba:

You are so VERY right.

Comment

Thanks for posting that article- so very interesting!

Back in the day we didn't use sunscreen. During summer break I would bust out my hawaiian tropic oil, lather up, and lay out in the sun for 30 minutes every day. Did not once burn. I returned to that practice over this past summer and have received a lot of flack for it at work. I was getting tan and people wanted to know how (they thought I was getting a spray tan or something) so I told them. How I wish I hadn't! I'm going to get skin cancer, I'm going to get wrinkley, blah blah blah. Fact is, I feel GOOD when I can get sun exposure like that.

Comment

I wonder if it is now simply a matter of money? it would cost a lot to change processes, and big Agra and big Pharma make a huge profit on the stuff they push.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
          Current weight: 199
          Goal: 145

Comment

Wow..this is interesting. I haven't tried CO on my skin. Do you use the same brand for all...I mean cooking, imbibing & skin? Straight out of the jar?

Or, does anyone do anything "fancy" to it...like try to make it into a cream-like substance?

Comment

I use straight CO on my skin, but I didn't like the way it felt on my face. I use it on the rest of my body. The easiest way to use it, in my opinion, is to keep some in a very small jar (I use a salve jar) and put the jar in a glass of hot water before I get in the shower. When I get out, the CO is mostly liquid and I can pour it into my hand. Otherwise, just melt it between your hands - it takes a bit longer, but works just as well.

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
              On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Comment

I also use straight CO which I keep in a small pyrex container; it would seem weird digging into the kitchen supply to put on my face! (And elbows, legs and feet.)

Comment

Working...
                X