Salad dressing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salad dressing?

I am having trouble with this one. I know there are likely too many preservatives in store bought salad dressing, so I use general olive oil and red wine vineger or some such combo. However, is blue cheese dressing a primal way to have dressing on one's salad? There is certainly fat contained.

I'm feeling the need for a little variety.

Blue cheese is low carb but some people don't tolerate dairy well or lose weight when eating it. So, it all depends on how well you tolerate dairy... personally, I don't tolerate it well so it's out. But plenty of people have success eating lots of it.

Comment

Thanks cavemanj!

Comment

Originally posted by girlsgotrhythm View Post
        Thanks cavemanj!
        It's primal for me...I'm making some to go with wings for the Superbowl!

Comment

you can go pretty basic, there are a few i use that are easy to make. all you need is the ingredients and some know-how.

take some balsamic vinegar and reduce it in a sauce pan to about 1/4 the original volume. put that in a blender bottle and mix in some extra virgin olive oil and some fresh chiffonaded basil, salt and pepper.

Comment

Olive oil + balsamic/red wine/apple cider vinegar + salt + garlic BAM!

Heavy cream + tomato + herbs, salt, pepper, garlic, put it in a blender BAM!

Parmesan cheese + lemon juice + olive oil + blender = BAM!
            “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

BUTTER. butterbutterbutterbutter.

No, I'm serious.

Melt 2-3 tbsp of butter in a pan - throw a left over meat of choice in with it (include walnuts if you eat them). Heat up butter and meat. Put on your salad with blue cheese and a bit of parmasan (if you eat it). Mix. Gobble up*.

No seasoning necessary. This = 4 of my main meals for the past three days. I also starting to add blueberries when I found out blueberries + blue cheese + walnuts = heaven.

If you eat sour cream add onion powder, chopped green onion, salt/pepper and bacon bits. You get bacon ranch!
              Last edited by jandge; 02-04-2011, 06:51 PM.

Do yourself a favor and become your own savior.
              Congenital Hypothyroid
              CW: 225lbs SW: 245lbs

Comment

You could also make a caesar dressing which is really low in carb. In all honesty I sometimes make my own dressing but in a pinch I have the bottled stuff and count it towards my 20%
                ~*Lori*~
                my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
                my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
                CW 192

Comment

Originally posted by jandge View Post
                  BUTTER. butterbutterbutterbutter.

No, I'm serious.

Melt 2-3 tbsp of butter in a pan - throw a left over meat of choice in with it (include walnuts if you eat them). Heat up butter and meat. Put on your salad with blue cheese and a bit of parmasan (if you eat it). Mix. Gobble up*.

No seasoning necessary. This = 4 of my main meals for the past three days. I also starting to add blueberries when I found out blueberries + blue cheese + walnuts = heaven.

If you eat sour cream add onion powder, chopped green onion, salt/pepper and bacon bits. You get bacon ranch!
                  Wow... I am having this tomorrow! Sounds amazing!

Comment

Oil ( olive, macadamia nut or avocado) + balsamic + crushed garlic + pesto = my go to dressing. Just never tire of it.

The Pesto really ties it all together and works well as the emulsifier.
                    Fear of the unknown...They are afraid of new ideas. they are loaded with prejudices, not based upon anything in reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.

Comment

Even as a lactose-intolerant person, I've discovered that I have no problem with cultured sour-cream, so I've been using that (whole fat, of course) as a salad dressing base. Thin it a bit with some vinegar or other liquid of choice, add whatever spices you want, and boom, salad dressing.

Comment

I just use extra virgin olive oil. I'm hardcore.

Comment

bragg's dressings are all organic and just contain apple cider vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, spices, aminos, and some honey. its not bad if you really want a packaged dressing

Comment

Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
                            Wow... I am having this tomorrow! Sounds amazing!
                            It so is, hope you like it! (I did mean to say blue cheese crumbles, but I hope it was picked up in the context of the thread). Had it last night. Again.

Do yourself a favor and become your own savior.
                            Congenital Hypothyroid
                            CW: 225lbs SW: 245lbs

Comment

Originally posted by jandge View Post
                              It so is, hope you like it! (I did mean to say blue cheese crumbles, but I hope it was picked up in the context of the thread). Had it last night. Again.
                              I had it last night and it was sooo good!! Great idea! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X