No announcement yet.

The Ultimate Primal Superfood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try a simple pate' to ease into liver. They are tried and true mixes of delicious meaty flavor, with some savory spices, wrapped in bacon. Hard not to love!

Edit: Also, per the pate' experience, you can put liver in the blender and then add it in to meatloaf. I did that last night and it made the meatloaf smell WONDERful but not taste liver-y at all.

I used - 1 # pastured pork, 1/2 # grass-fed beef, about 1/3-1/2 # chicken livers, with finely chopped celery, onion, and garlic powder, cinnamon, pepper. Oh, and one egg.
    Last edited by beachrat; 02-05-2011, 04:59 AM. Reason: add multi-meaty-loaf suggestion
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

I love the classic combination of liver, bacon and onions. I use lambs liver. Cook it up, throw a bit of water on to make a gravy, sorted. It's nicer with brown sauce but ah well.
      Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
      Harold Whitman

Comment

If folks are using other foods to mask the 'taste' then why not trust your instincts?
        I'd say if it wasn't for the store bought gooey salad dressing 80% of people wouldn't
        eat a salad. Same principle. But if you genuinely like taste of liver then enjoy it.

Comment

I want some pate but I can't figure out what to eat it on. I'm thinking of baking up some potato slices or something in place of crackers. Any thoughts? Here's the recipe I've used, very easy and nice for company:

http://www.cheeseslave.com/2008/05/1...-liver-mousse/

Comment

GG Scandanavian flatbread, all fiber; toasted a bit it makes a good substrate for pate, etc.
            This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
            Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

Ever since I went paleo, liver looked appealing to me even though I avoided it as a younger person. I rinsed off the excess blood with filtered water and put on a pan with coconut oil and in a few minutes I had a delicious dinner.

Now I have to go out and try different types of liver.
              "You can have it all, but how much do you want it?"

Comment

Originally posted by Keithallenlaw View Post
                If folks are using other foods to mask the 'taste' then why not trust your instincts?
                I'd say if it wasn't for the store bought gooey salad dressing 80% of people wouldn't
                eat a salad. Same principle. But if you genuinely like taste of liver then enjoy it.
                i think there is something to be said for that. i think a lot of aspects of primal should be about following your taste instincts, offal being one of them. if you have a taste' for beef liver and love the stuff to death, like myself, then maybe your body is deficient in something it offers. if you get that standoffish gross taste from liver then maybe you dont 'need' anything it offers....or your liver aint fresh haha cuz bad liver tastes like total SH%^$#T

same for something like beef heart. if you cant stand it you prolly dont need it, but if you like it your prolly benefitting from something in it

i know i eat both liver and heart like its goin outta style but i know if i sit down to eat it and it just doesnt 'taste like usual' then i prolly dont need whats in it

just a thoughts. sorta like the old saying eat it to fix it. if your hearts abd, eat heart, if your liver is bad eat liver..etcetc
                Get on my Level
                http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Maybe, but there's a lot of talk on this board of not liking this or not liking that (meat, veggies, EVOO, fish, lamb, offal, oily fish, unsweetened beverages, ...). Too me, such distastes are a childish and modern conceit that grok couldn't have afforded
                  Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                    sorta like the old saying eat it to fix it. if your hearts abd, eat heart, if your liver is bad eat liver..etcetc
                    Damn, I hope I never pull my groin. :/

Comment

Growing up we had liver and onions fairly often, and I remember liking it. Your post is inspiring me to give this a try!

Comment

I have eaten liver and offal all my life - thank you Grandma. I don't know about all this soaking and marinating though. I like my Ox liver fried till it's nice and tough and chewy :-)

For people who may not be into liver, start off with pate to develop a taste for it. Chicken livers are quite mild and go well added to chicken paprika dishes.

Comment

I love liver. I was afraid I wouldn't like it, but my body soaked it up. It nourishes me like nothing else I've tried. Too bad it's been more than a year since I last had it. Must get more! I liked it as liver and onions, with a side of sauerkraut. So. Good! And I like chicken liver pate. I like it in stuffed mushrooms! I'd add bacon if I ate pork.

I haven't had the courage to try anything else. Maybe marrow. And possibly kidney. Oh, I've also had heart- I love chicken and turkey hearts. Never tried beef heart. And I had lengua tacos once, but I thought they weren't that great. It was at a restaurant, maybe if I get my own tongue it would be better. Don't know if I could do sweet meats or brain.

Try this, you doubters! http://ediblearia.com/2009/07/23/not...er-and-onions/

Robin's Roost
                          My Primal Journal

Comment

As to masking flavors: I recall reading that we taste things differently depending on number and density of taste buds. Some people are super tasters, as indeed most children are, and can be put off be strong flavors such as broccoli or kidneys and liver. If the " masking" is good primal food, I don't see that as an issue. Plus, we change with time and experimentation. I hated asparagus when I was a child and teen, not till I went to college did I learn that asparagus could be delicious when not over-cooked. If a few tweeks get people to try more good primal foods they will benefit and in time get more adventurous with offal-- and lots of foods thet may have thought awful.
                            This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                            Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

Don't over cook liver. Coat your pan with coconut oil, and drop the liver pieces and let it simmer until brown and repeat other side. Put on your plate, spritz it with lemon, sprinkle some black pepper on it and throw some greens in there and voila! Enjoy!
                              "You can have it all, but how much do you want it?"

Comment

I love liver, beef liver, calf liver, venison liver and of course chicken liver. I grew up eating liver and would eat chicken liver like other kids ate candy.
                                Georgette

Comment

Working...
                                X