No announcement yet.

The Ultimate Primal Superfood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calves liver is milder, but the key to offal or game meats is to marinate overnight in white wine or milk; toss out the milk after use, save wine for sauce. Dry the liver on paper towels. In heavy skillet or dutch over, cook 1/2 pound bacon, set aside, cook sliced onion (1medium) in grease, set aside. Coat liver slices with coconut flour (salt & pepper) by shaking in a bag, then cook in bacon grease about 3 min per side. Don't over cook. Put on plate, top with bacon and onion. I like to serve with turnip greens, or some othet sharp green. Try this and you won't regret it. I have converted several liver haters. Liver is just about the most perfect food.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

While looking for something Offal I came across these videos and info site.

Pig head, ears and brains
      offalgood.com
      http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

I usually have offal curry for breakfast. I use recipes from Charmaine Solomon's Indian Cookery for Pleasure or I adapt other curry recipes. Have returned from the butcher this morning with a beef tongue and veal liver. Thinking of using a Rendang Daging recipe to cook the tongue and throw in the sliced liver for the last few minutes
        Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I got all brave this morning and wanted to try a recipe for chicken livers, but guess what? No liver of any kind at the store, zzz.

Comment

Well, then there was Sir Douglas Mawson, who nearly died of Vit A overdose from eating dog liver in his epic survival trek in Antarctica. Neither of his two human travelling companions nor any canine ones fared as well.

Comment

Omg I just tried that Saveur recipe for calves' liver I posted above! Sooooo delicious. Give it a shot, if any of you are on the fence about liver. I didn't have any parsley on hand unfortunately but it was still scrumptious.

Comment

i've GOT to give liver another chance. Tried cooking liver once (i think full grown steer?), first soaking it in milk, but i just HATED it. It had a grainy texture to it. The closest i've ever gotten to liking organ meats is whatever goes in dirty rice, i think it's gizzards? Luv em!

Digby, do you think your recipe could fool a non-liver eater? Sometimes i have to "trick" my hubs into eating stuff.

Comment

eating a part of the body that filters toxin makes no sense what-so-ever. i'll pass.

Comment

Originally posted by HowToDieYoung View Post
                    I have to say I have found the best ultimate primal superfood out there. Offal is amazing. I before would worry about getting all my vitamins and minerals but when I just had a few random pieces of sesos (brain), liver or beef heart, I would get optimal levels of the things most people miss in their diet. If you are looking for a great way to get those extra nutrients you must try offal. Does anyone have any unique recipets or preparations they would like to share. I wrote this in ode to my love for offal; it also discusses some of the benefits. http://howtodieyoung.blogspot.com/20...superfood.html
                    Try this site for recipes: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/the-nasty-bits/
                    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

I was told the liver is a warehouse of nutrients, but also it stores quiet a bit of toxins.
                      Might not be true of free range grass fed I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by b4ds33d View Post
                        eating a part of the body that filters toxin makes no sense what-so-ever. i'll pass.
                        This seems to make sense but I'm betting it's actually quite stupid. *checks the internet* Yep...stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Roach View Post
                          This seems to make sense but I'm betting it's actually quite stupid. *checks the internet* Yep...stupid.
                          Better you said it than me.
                          carl's cave

Comment

I've been wondering about liver too. I like it, but it seems the liver I've been getting at the store -- "beef liver" -- lately has kind of a granular nasty texture to it, instead of being just smooth. It doesn't seem to have much internal structure either; it's not firm, just all mushy and granular. What's up with that? It tastes ok, but is it maybe from a diseased cow? An old cow? A grain-fed cow?

Comment

Originally posted by Roach View Post
                              +1
                              Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Go for grassfed meat/ offal whenever possible. I also think it is better for liver to be thinly sliced--1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. As to fooling anyone, liver would be hard to disguise, that is why you cover it with load of bacon & onion. Don't forget chicken liver wrapped around a water chestnut then wrapped
                                in bacon
                                --hardly seems like liver at all. As to toxins: the job of filtering does not mean the liver or kidneys stores the toxin, the blood and urine do the transporting. Toxins are usually stored in the fat tissues, as I learned when I got an overdose of DDT in our orchards in the 1950s.
                                This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                                Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

Working...
                                X