Dark Chocolate Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Chocolate Question

What kind of dark chocolate do you buy? I have some from Trader Joe's. It's 70% but the ingredients are: Belgian chocolate liquor, sugar, and soy lecithin. That is not primal. I have looked at ingredients on a lot of dark chocolate and none seem to be just dark chocolate ...unless it's raw cacao nibs.

Any suggestions?... I really wanted a piece of chocolate, but don't want to eat the one I have. Guess I will be having a spoonful of cacao nibs.

Scharffen Berger 99%

Heaven. Nothing but cocoa beans and a bit of vanilla bean.

Comment

... the spoonful of cacao nibs was just a little too bitter for me. Hmmm... maybe I could heat some cream and cacao nibs.

Comment

Some forum members are into pure chocolate. I am not. The amount of sugar in one or a few 85%+ squares isn't going to hurt you.
        Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

I recently got into this stuff--it's really good, and the ingredient list looks pretty favorable (i.e., no soy lecithin) compared to a lot of the other dark chocs out there: http://www.vivani.de/P_USA_Bitter_85.html
          Check out my blog here.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
            Scharffen Berger 99%

Heaven. Nothing but cocoa beans and a bit of vanilla bean.
            Yum... thank you! Guess my chocolate craving will wait until tomorrow. I was dissatisfied with my dinner and now I want something.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedonist View Post
              Some forum members are into pure chocolate. I am not. The amount of sugar in one or a few 85%+ squares isn't going to hurt you.
              Yes, I'm not there. It tastes like horrible bitter yuck to me. 85% is just on the edge and fabulous. I like the Lindt execellence because it has no soy or anything weird, and it's in my price range for an everyday treat. I think for a special treat I'll try the Green and Black stuff.
              The more I see the less I know for sure.
              -John Lennon

Comment

E Guittard Nocturne. 91%.
                MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

I usually buy Lindt 90% or E. Guitard 91%.
                  Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by runnergal View Post
                    E Guittard Nocturne. 91%.
                    Yes!
                    Ancestral Health Info

Comment

Originally posted by chowza View Post
                      I recently got into this stuff--it's really good, and the ingredient list looks pretty favorable (i.e., no soy lecithin) compared to a lot of the other dark chocs out there: http://www.vivani.de/P_USA_Bitter_85.html
                      That looks good... where do you buy it?

Comment

One of my surprising favorites is the Safeway own brand 78% chocolate. Very smooth.
                        Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                        Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Thank you!! I have a list of all of them and I will see what I can find.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedonist View Post
                            I usually buy Lindt 90% or E. Guitard 91%.
                            Even if you dont like the 91% try the EGuittard...they have a wide range. It doesnt have the sour notes of many darks or the grittiness. You could probably step up one level of darkness in that brand and be happy.
                            MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

I've found that Lindt's 85% has less carbs and less sugar than others that have the same or more % of cacao. Lindt 85% has 19 grams of carbs per 100 grams of product. It isn't organic though. One dark organic chocolate I bought was 87% and had 33 grams of carbs per 100 grams.

It would be interesting to know the less-carb dark chocolate possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X