Urinary Issues...Please Advise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urinary Issues...Please Advise

Greetings. Weird subject but I need advice or maybe a doctor.
    I've been eating primal now for about 3 months and lost about
    30lbs. Currently I'm 5'11" @ 196lbs. Before I went primal I had
    no trouble what so ever urinating. Good easy flow. Hell, I could
    stand outside and pee in my gutter, easily. Now I feel like I have
    a narrowed hard flow which takes forever to pass. And afterwords
    some leakage. WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING? More smelly too.
    I defecate once every two days and sometime experience diarrhea.

My diet has been very heavy on flesh. Red meat, pork, & chicken.
    Leaf lettuce and onion. My Carb intake for the last three months
    have been less than 50gr a day. I'm definitely in Ketosis. I take
    Omega 3's, D3 (4000iu's), and K2 (180mcg) daily. Butter, coconut
    & olive oil. Almonds, walnuts, & avocado. My water intake is about
    3/4 a gallon per day of well water. And the last few days I've been
    thinking really hard about sugar binging.

My eating window is noon until 7:00pm everyday. My only wake up
    beverage is a cup of hot green tea with a tsp of magnesium. I've
    always had the mag & green tea so I know it's not that.

I'm way more active on primal, and I lift hard and walk a lot.

Should I back off? Please advise. Most grateful!

Could you be developing an iodine deficiency? http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/I...te_Health.html
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
      Could you be developing an iodine deficiency? http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/I...te_Health.html
      Interesting article. Thanks. I do occasionally sprinkle some Dulse on my eggs and avocados.
      I only consume Celtic brand sea salt which is natural and has no added iodine. I will look into
      this more. Grateful.

Comment

Your symptoms sound like an enlarged prostate (FYI--I am not a doctor!) I'm thinking perhaps a mineral deficiency...zinc?
        Here's one article.
        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Zinc is probably a good idea for everyone. Apparently our soils have been
          depleted of zinc here in the US and needs to be supplemented anyway.
          Thanks for the response.

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
          Your symptoms sound like an enlarged prostate (FYI--I am not a doctor!) I'm thinking perhaps a mineral deficiency...zinc?
          Here's one article.

Comment

Low carbohydrate consumption does not actually mean automatically that you're in ketosis. If your fat comprises less than 65% (70% to be safe) of your total caloric intake then your body readily simply creates glucose from all of the excess protein that you're eating. This is really really not good for you body to be in for any length of time and can cause serious issues to a number of different organs including your kidneys.
            "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
            -J.Stanton

Comment

Originally posted by ProtoAlex View Post
              Low carbohydrate consumption does not actually mean automatically that you're in ketosis. If your fat comprises less than 65% (70% to be safe) of your total caloric intake then your body readily simply creates glucose from all of the excess protein that you're eating. This is really really not good for you body to be in for any length of time and can cause serious issues to a number of different organs including your kidneys.
              OK, I'll bite. In so much as I must be confused about primal in the sense that I assumed low carbs was the idea.
              And wow, 70% plus of fats should be my diet? Am I missing something? Thanks.

Comment

Hi Keith - sounds like you might be missing the fat! You mention butter, coconut oil, and olive oil (and avocados), but maybe a sample day of food would give us a better idea of what you're eating?

There are a few threads around about eating more fat - I'll look for a couple of links and be back

EDIT: I can never find anything on this forum. For starters, though, here are a few outside posts:
                The Nourished Life (recommends 50-80% calories from good, healthy fats)
                Feasting on Fitness

Paleo Hacks is often a good place to nose around for varying points of view: "eat more fat"

I realize this isn't directly relevant to your OP but thought you might be interested. In short, low carb is less the point and more a consequence of eating more/better food, mostly protein and fats.
                Last edited by beachrat; 02-03-2011, 07:00 AM.
                "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
                "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
                If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

Originally posted by ProtoAlex View Post
                  Hmmm...Alex, this doesn't sound correct to me. Surely paleo humans were often eating higher protein than fat ratios then most of us are. Can you please provide a link to some source material? Are you sure you aren't confusing ketoacidosis?
                  Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                  Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                  Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Hmmm...Alex, this doesn't sound correct to me. Surely paleo humans were often eating higher protein than fat ratios then most of us are. Can you please provide a link to some source material? Are you sure you aren't confusing ketoacidosis?
                    I believe you are right according to Marks chart. That's what I was going by.
                    http://upload.pbase.com/image/132273950

Comment

I'm thinking Ketoacidosis as well. If not then we could potentially all be in trouble because we eat low carb for extended amounts of time.
                      "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Don't fall into the trap that Cordain did and think that paleo humans would eat all the animal instead of picking off as much fat or protein as they wanted unless they were starving and food was scarce.

For example, in Aus the Aboriginals mostly ate only roo tails and gave the back straps to the dingoes. They are the two fattiest parts of the animals. They didn't consider the rest worth eating.
                        A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Should I back off? Please advise. Most grateful
                          How about seeing a doctor? I would hate to see some permanent kidney or prostate issues due to delayed attention.

Comment

This is very weird but I have noticed hesitancy when urinating too. I have fallen on and off primal several times since August and each time it goes away and then comes back. So it's definately food related.
                            Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                            Harold Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                              How about seeing a doctor? I would hate to see some permanent kidney or prostate issues due to delayed attention.
                              I agree with you but that's just not an option right now. Maybe it's time for me to stop being stubborn about
                              the whole insurance and medical structure we currently live in. Grok never had insurance. I always figured
                              life had no guaranties and to take it as it comes. Thanks for your concern.

Comment

Working...
                              X